“Our new staycation get away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rancho Valencia

Rancho Valencia
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
La Jolla, California
“Our new staycation get away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The property is completely “chill” and lacking in any pretense. The rooms (and bathrooms) are spacious and quiet, with excellent privacy. Our first night we had dinner in the main restaurant, and it was just fantastic. The next night we had room service, and it was just as good. The food arrived perfectly prepared, with great flavor and generous portions. My wife ordered a pizza, and it was fully gourmet and bursting with flavor. Both days we hung out at the adult pool, and the poolside service there is excellent. The spa is beautiful, and tennis and exercise courts leave nothing to be desired. Every detail is maintained to perfection, and you can see the major investment that the new owners made at every turn. It’s a 10, and great for our stay-cation or if you are coming from out of town.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the rooms that are adjacent to the residential neighborhood, as two of the ne...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our friends treated us to a weekend stay at Rancho Valencia. It is a lovely property to be sure, and our room, which was an expensive suite, was beautiful, but something was missing. The pros: free mini-bar as other reviews have stated but nothing special in it -- the usual candy/fruit bars, chips, etc., soda. The internet is free but we had issues with it in some of the outside areas. The breakfast which came with our room as we had an American Express platinum package was really terrific. Complaints? First the directions GPS on their website is just wrong. Once we got off the freeway and headed inland we were followed the GPS to the letter and ended up at a private residence. We tried again, and then called the hotel. We were given a long-winded set of directions (the girl we spoke did try) and finally used our own GPS app (Waze, highly recommended by the way) to get there. It took us almost 35 minutes to figure out how to get to the hotel which is tucked away. If you know the area you're in good shape- we didn't and were thoroughly annoyed by the time we arrived. Our friends had the same issue but a less satisfactory experience when calling the desk. The staff is relatively young and very friendly but not experienced and it shows. The bathroom at the pool was out of toilet paper, and then the toilet went on the blink- there were no handtowels or tissue. When we mentioned it to the 4 young people who giving out smoothies and helping with towels they told us the toilet isn't their department. Picky I know but for an allegedly 5 star hotel we just expect over the top greatness. This was very nice, I would recommend it but it isn't over the to great. For the $1,000 per night room it should have been.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have been wanting to find an excuse to stay here after reading great reviews and Andrew Harper's number 1 rating last year. That opportunity came when we attended a wedding there in mid July and stayed a couple of days.
Location:perfect. just a few miles inland from Del Mar. Out of coastal fog, but not so far inland to be too hot.
Property: Perfect: Large property, but few rooms. Very quite property. Rooms organized in buildings housing two units, duplex style. Spa, gym large and well staffed and equipped. rooms all oversized and very comfortable. Nice vistas from most rooms and walks on the property.
Staff: Perfect. Young, but well trained and guest focused throughout.
Restaurant and Bar: Perfect. Great food and relatively reasonable. Good service and friendly. Very San Diego casual. A very active scene during our stay as local residents use the rest. and bar. Sunday brunch very popular.
As with other reviews we loved the orange juice-fresh squeezed with a paper each morning AND the complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic drinks. Classy.
Porsche: Perfect. Choice to book a four drive of four different 2014 models. Free
Wedding:Perfect. We hope the marriage will be as well. Staff made the ceremony, dinner and dancing very special. Great place for a wedding and reception.
All and all perfect place for a stay in San Diego. We have stayed many places in San Diego and Rancho Valencia edges out The Grand Del Mar as our # 1 for a fun, but relaxing few days of vacation.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any room,
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The philosophy of how a 5 star hotel should work:
Step 1. Gouge me on the price of the room. This place is a 5 star resort, the rooms are expensive, but at least I know this up front.
Step 2. Give me free mini bar, its the best part of the hotel experience. Hotels that gouge you on $9 pretzels, ruin the whole illusion of vacation.
Step 3. Give me reasonably priced room service. Ok, room service is really the best part. I was shocked when got our room service bill. No crazy delivery fee, no crazy extra charges. Dinner for 2 for less than $50 TOTAL.
Along with chocolates on the bed, free minibar and reasonably priced great tasting room service, all this makes the price you paid to stay here, so much easier to digest.

And everything else you would expect: great service, beautiful settings and updated, large luxurious rooms.

My only complaint, I could not get my room cold enough.

Can't wait to come back !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CDUB212121
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our first time to Rancho Valencia and we were bereft with grief on our departure. You feel like you’re driving into a preserve of some sort. I was watching for a turkey to come down the hill, of course, it would have tennis racket in hand.

Grounds carpeted in lush “ take your clothes off and roll around” grass accented by beautiful Asian trees draping their canopy to offer a cool respite from the summer heat. The tastefully appointed décor of the lobby plaza assured us we’d made the right choice.

In the past, we’ve stayed at the Inn at Rancho Santa Fe and don’t get me wrong that’s a nice property as well, especially for the price. In comparison, they’re apples and oranges. Valencia is an Eames and the Inn a lazy-boy both comfortable just different styles.

Everyone at Valencia is so affable and calls you by name, which always hits home with me. They’re also not hard to look at if you catch my drift. The ladies are beautiful and my better half was not disappointed with the stags on the staff. We were particularly fond of Ted our bartender. Just the nicest guy you could hope to meet with a most pleasant disposition. We ended every night with a visit. Thank you Ted .

We loved the location of Valencia. 5/10 minutes to Del Mar and the same for going up to Mille Fleurs in Rancho Santa Fe, our favorite restaurant (that’s another review).

We stayed in the Olive Grove suite. Absolutely lovely with a very private terrace (to enjoy our complimentary fresh squeezed orange juice every morning) , outside hot tub, fireplace, and bed with sheets so soft you feel like you’re in your mother’s womb. I just can’t say enough about how comfortable the accommodations are here. I could easily stay a month and not feel squished or anxious.

So you may be wondering about my title. I know that may be a peculiar lead but never in my life has technology taken hold of me in an arena that I hold sacred. The TOTO Neorest commode is about the damnedest invention I’ve ever seen. I was unpacking upon our arrival when my split apart screamed from the water closet. “HONEY” It was her roach scream so I approached armed with my newspaper. Then I realized she was laughing.
“What’s wrong?”
“ You have to use this toilet.”
“Whatever do you mean?”
She directed my eyes to a peculiar remote attached horizontally above the paper roll.
“ Just go to the bathroom.”
Don’t have to ask me twice. Not to be gross but if using the loo was a form of art, I’d be Picasso although Dali might be more appropriate here because this was surreal. You step in the WC and the TOTO senses you and lifts the lid like a yawning lion. Unbelievable in it’s own right, then you sit and the damn seat is heated which I’ve never experienced unless I followed my uncle John after Sunday supper. So I do my business and finish up in the conventional manner and hit rear clean. All of the sudden, my bottom is awash with oscillating streams of warm water cleaning my bum. If you prefer pulsating, you can try that setting too. Pressure? Soft or Hard. All done? Well time to hit the Dryer button and be soothed by cooling air. It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. Andrea was sick of hearing my talk about but I know she really dug it too. I can’t wait to get home and tell all my friends. Whoever you are at TOTO thank you from the bottom of my heart (or should that read the heart of my bottom), and thank you Rancho Valencia for an amazing experience on every front. No stone is unturned a true slice of heaven

We’ll definitely be back again and hopefully soon!!!

5 Thank Lee L
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is the best place in every respect. Love the fresh orange juice every morning waiting outside the door with the newspaper. The service is great, the room is divided into a living room and bedroom area and is large and comfortable, private patio, and numerous little things that make the stay wonderful (coffee and espresso maker, TV in bathroom, complimentary soft drinks and snacks, etc.). Service throughout the property is excellent, good food, gym and adult pool, great surroundings. Everything is just right.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I've travelled quite a bit and enjoy fine resorts, hotels, and spas. Rancho Valencia now ranks at the very top of wonderful places to stay. All the little things (chocolates on the pillow, free Porsches to take for a drive, hourly treats offered poolside, all free mini bar items....) are such fantastic touches. The people and service are fantastic. Everything is lush, beautiful and top notch. The fitness classes are taught by phenomenal instructors, and the restaurants here have interesting, healthy, yummy options. I have to say.... We are very impressed and WILL return no doubt. It's an easy, top notch vacation choice for couples and family's (and even dogs).

Room Tip: Loved our villa - and we had the least expensive Agave king bed villa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Santa Fe
Rancho Bernardo Inn
#31 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,844 reviews
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Been to Rancho Valencia? Share your experiences!