“Country Comfort at a Timeless Retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe

The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
San Diego, California
“Country Comfort at a Timeless Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I love a hotel with character. When we travel, the last place we look to stay is the ubiquitous chain, whether it’s five-star or not. That’s why we were very excited as we drove through winding eucalyptus lined two lane road into Rancho Santa Fe. We were checking into the Inn at Rancho Santa Fe, a Southern California icon with character coming out of its ears.

Our destination was just 30 minutes north of San Diego International Airport and minutes from the beaches and the upscale seaside towns of Del Mar, Solana Beach, and La Jolla
Everything about this fabled hotel was fascinating, from its architect, Lillian Rice, to the rich and famous that had walked its grounds and laid their heads there for over 90 years. This was the temporary home hundreds of stars and celebrities like Bing Crosby, America's Sweetheart Mary Pickford, Hollywood hero Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and even Bill Gates and Frank Lloyd Wright. The stories the walls could tell – and now we would be a part of hotels history in our own small way.

The newly restored Inn at Rancho Santa Fe is located on 21 acres of landscaped grounds including flowering gardens, lush lawns and winding pathways between cottages, guest rooms and suites. Although it’s a luxury hotel with all of the trimmings, it has an unpretentious and easy going character that instantly made it feel like we belonged there. The cottages scattered through the gardens made it feel like a peaceful enchanted village rather than a hotel.
After a quick and friendly welcome and check in we made our way to our home for the next three days.

The clean almost Spartan Spanish influenced architecture of the exterior of our room belied the country inspired sophistication of our suite. First of all it was large, with a full sized kitchen, a large bedroom, two desk areas and an even larger living room highlighted by a working wood burning fireplace. Again, the casual elegance of the ranch inspired furnishing made us feel like this would be a place we could actually live in – not just visit. It also had all of the toys to make today’s modern traveler happy, including WIFI that works without a password, two large flat screen TVs, and a professional looking espresso machine that needed a professional to figure it out.

The interior design of public areas of the hotel is impressive, reflecting the same casual ranch elegance as the room with and little more contemporary feel. A giant fireplace with a roaring fire anchored the main lobby and entrance to the Morada restaurant, a hidden culinary gem. The recent major renovation included enhancing the Inn’s arrival experience at the front parking area, constructing a new meeting space, adding new private dining rooms and planting event lawns, herb and produce gardens.

Mary enjoyed a treatment at the recently opened The Spa at The Inn, a new 3,000 square foot full service spa and relaxation courtyard offer guests and residents a place to relax and be pampered.

Certainly one of the highlights of our stay was our experience at the Inn’s Morada Restaurant. The Inn's new restaurant named for the original title of the hotel, opened on July 3, 2013. The elegant contemporary ranch style interior design also embraces the Inn's indigenous history and the Rancho Santa Fe lifestyle with historic photos of famous guests featured on one great wall. The dining room is large but cozy, with comfortable seating and nice lighting and acoustics. The patio dining outside fronts the greens slopping down into the village.
Executive Chef Todd Allison’s take on California cuisine was fresh and inspired. His sea bass blew me away. All of the dishes we sampled reflected the seasonally fresh and locally sourced directly from local sustainable farms and farmer’s markets as well as produce and herbs ingredients grown on the Inn’s property.

The wine and food service was professional and friendly and the wine selections for each course were spot on. Allison and Morada should be on everyone’s list when visiting San Diego, and by the look of the patrons on the night we dined the locals who live in the ranch have discovered Morada and have made it one of their regular dining haunts. We can’t stay every month at the Inn but we sure can come back and enjoy the restaurant.

Our three days at the Inn didn’t disappoint – it was infused with charm and character. The staff was friendly, professional and kick-back ranch. And the quite rooms with comfortable beds and silky linins made for a good night’s rest. The Morada restaurant was world class. But it was the feeling that we were walking – and sleeping among the essence of giants of another era that made this experience to remember and savor.

1 Thank William J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
basking ridge, new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I just returned from a three night stay at stellar inn. Traveling on business I wanted someplace quiet I could return to after a long day of meetings and appointments. This place delivered and then some. Although most travel here for holiday and weddings the Inn at Rancho Santa Fe fits the bill for anyone visiting the area. The staff is top notch from the restaurant servers (Saied) to the housekeeping staff to the front desk ---everyone here here goes above and beyond. The grounds are magnificent and so well kept. The food quality is superb much of the produce grown on property. The accommodation are luxurious and oh so private and quiet. Finally, I was fortunate to be able to book a late last minute appointment at the spa. Kai was incredible and the massage was one of the best I have ever had. I can't wait to return to The Inn at Ranch Santa Fe and soon. Thank you again.

Room Tip: It really does not get any better than this.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We enjoyed a recent weekend wedding at The Inn. Can't say enough about the setting, the grounds, and the rooms. Everything was gorgeous. All of the staff were attentive and accommodating. The food was great. The restaurant has the best breakfast burrito of all time - and it's big enough for two.

Room Tip: Loved the wood-burning fireplace in my room.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was the perfect location for my friend's wedding. The rooms were incredibly nice, as was the entire resort. The scenery and landscaping were picturesque - exactly what you'd expect in beautiful Rancho Santa Fe. The staff was friendly and helpful. I left my sunglasses in one of the banquet halls and when I went to the front desk the next day, the receptionist handed them to me. Above all else though, the attention to detail with everything at the resort made my stay and my friend's wedding a truly memorable event.

Food was great too, though the service could have been a little faster at the restaurant.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong! All the rooms were within a short walk of the main building, and each have t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Hands down the best weekend of my life! Everything at The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe was simply wonderful - from the friendly and welcoming staff to the stunning landscape and venue. I started off the weekend meeting with Lauren Mandler and Tim St. Julien who were amazing to work with. They were extremely organized and had every detail of my wedding down to a T! My girlfriend and I spent Friday morning at the spa getting a mani/pedi combo. The staff was delightful and the ambiance serene and relaxing. What a great place for the locals in Rancho to have in their backyard. My view, as I indulged in my manicure, looked out into the lush garden of herbs and vegetables. The chef uses fresh ingredients from the garden for breakfast, lunch and dinner at The Inn. We had our rehearsal dinner, cocktail reception and wedding reception at The Inn and the food was spectacular! One of our guests said it was the best food she has ever had at a wedding. Overall, we and our guests had the most unforgettable weekend at The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe. I cannot thank everyone enough for delivering on such a special occasion. I hope my husband and I can return and relive it (to an extent) on as many anniversaries as possible!

Room Tip: All the rooms are brand new, clean, stylish and unique!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel for an amazing wedding. The wedding was split between the lawn, the area above the pool and the meeting rooms. It was truly fantastic. The hotel was very accommodating to all of our requests. The rooms and bathrooms were recently renovated and the villas offered a very romantic experience. My only wish was that the weekend lasted longer. I will definitely be back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We had the opportunity to stay at The Inn earlier this month after its recent renovation and could not have been more impressed. The property itself was stunning and our room was spacious, nicely appointed and very comfortable. We enjoyed our time lounging by the pool, dining at the restaurant and walking around the cute little town.

We'll definitely be making a return trip in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Santa Fe
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,823 reviews
Rancho Valencia
Rancho Valencia
#1 of 3 in Rancho Santa Fe

Been to The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe? Share your experiences!