“Poorly Run Hotel”

Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Red Bluff
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I booked this hotel as a jumping off point for day hikes in Lassen Volcanic Park. I called beforehand and asked if the pool was functional. I was told it was (the beginning of a poor weekend at the hotel). Upon check in, I was asked, "Would like the 1st floor or 2nd floor." Having to carry call my hiking equipment, etc I replied, "First floor please." "No problem." I was also told the swimming pool was not functional and being repaired.

I was given the key to room 255, which was on the second floor??? Not a huge issue, so I go to the room and try to get in. Key doesn't work. Not only that, there is already someone in room 255. I go back to the front desk with, "Oh. I'm sorry. I meant room 155." Did I get keys to room 155 this second time? Nope. I got the keys to room 261. At this point, I didn't care.

The next day, after hiking all day at the park, I return to the hotel. Alas, my electronic key card doesn't work to get into the motel and/or my room. I go to the front counter, get new keys with the normal, "Oh. Sorry. They were only programmed for one day. I made sure they were reprogrammed for your entire stay."

I went to my room and, it wasn't made up. I call to the front desk. "I'm sorry. I don't know what happened. House keeping is gone though." I go down, get clean towels at least from the front counter.

Next day? You guessed it. SAME EXACT THING. Keys don't work AND my room isn't made up a second time. Not ONLY did my keys not work, when I got new ones from the front counter, they didn't work either.

I got absolutely no cooperation from the hotel staff, etc. It was a mistake staying there. One I shall be sure not to make again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
BestWesternRedBluff, Front Office Manager at Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to apologize for your experience at our hotel. The reason for the miscommunication regarding the bill was because we began an unscheduled project to build a pump house next to our pool, which required us to close the pool due to debris getting in. Regarding the room confusion, there is no excuse for that. The clerk on hand should have given you the correct keys the first time. We also have to apologize for your room not being cleaned and made up upon your return. There is no excuse for this whatsoever and we will be implementing new training to insure this does not happen again. We hope that you will one day come to stay with us again. Thank you for your business.

Best Western Plus Antelope Inn Management and Staff

There are newer reviews for Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at this Best Western prior to a two day visit to Mt Lassen National Park. I had driven all day from Los Angeles so the pool, bed, friendly staff, and even the aviary were welcoming and enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Ajit P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are constantly trying to improve our property so that our guests can appreciate their stays here to the best of their ability. We are happy to hear you not only enjoyed the pool, but the aviary and our staff as well. We are happy to have been able to serve you. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will come and see us again soon.

Best Western Antelope Inn Management and Staff

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The second night of our trip was spent in Red Bluff. Check-in went smoothly but when we hauled all of our belongings to the room the cleaning person told us that it would be another 20 minutes before the room would be ready. It was 90+ degrees! The only thing we could do was wait and talk to the aviary full of birds right outside the rooms. We finally got the ok to enter our room and we were able to change and jump into the pool for some much needed cool down. The next morning we went to the breakfast room at 7 only to find that the tiny little area was so packed with kids trying to make waffles that we could hardly move. After we were able to grab a bite it was back on the road.

Room Tip: It really wasn't a restaurant but as a food area for a large number of rooms it could have been...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Duane H
Ajit P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We do apologize that it took so long to get you into your room, but at the time of your stay we had many firefighters from all over the state staying in our town due to a wildfire not far from Red Bluff. This required us to make special arrangements which slowed down our usual process. We apologize that this stopped you from entering your room upon your arrival, and we hope that you will come and stay with us again so we can right this situation.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

BW never fails us. Our room in Red Bluff was clean, spacious and extremely comfortable. Loved the mattress, nice bed linen, thick towels, good water pressure and big TV. We were exhausted after a day of driving and happy to have a great Italian meal delivered to our room from Luigi's in town. Thanks to Trip Advisor folks for leading us there.

We opted for the large King room so we also had a nice couch, fridge and microwave. Luigi's gave us such big portions that we saved some and heated them up for breakfast. We had to pass on the Best Western breakfast which was available.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ajit P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. We take pride in serving our customers to the fullest of our ability, and we are happy to know that your satisfaction was ensured. Thank you for seeing what our town has to offer as well. Luigi's Pizza is a long standing local business, and they would appreciate knowing that our guests appreciate them. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope you will be back soon!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Won't you be traumatized if you are woken up from your sleep at 2am to see a stranger with a backpack looking at you?
After a long drive from Pismo Beach CA, my wife and son arrived at Best Western Plus Antelope Inn very tired and ready to have a good night's rest. The room (#218) assigned to us although said to be non-smoking still smell of smoke when the air conditioner was turned on. We requested a change and was given room #214. After settling in we went to sleep.
In the middle of the night, I was awakened by voices and the opening of my bedroom door. A strange man with a backpack was staring at me. I yelled at him 'what are you doing here?' He mumbled a sorry and retreated. I quickly double locked the door but any more sleep was impossible. It was 2:17am.
Next morning I went downstairs for breakfast. There was no more room at the tables. So I took a tray and went back up to my room. But the card-key failed to work. At this point I told the lady receptionist about the card-key problem. She discovered that my paper registration had the wrong first name and there was confusion with another guest or two. It seemed that a late-comer had been given the same room by mistake and my card was deactivated. She agreed that such a mistake should never had been made in the first place, and apologized. She as a lady, would be terrified by such an experience. She assured me that Nathan, who apparently was the male receptionist that night would be told of the mistake.
Also, one bath towel has a hole. Though minor, this also reflects upon the poor standard of the staff. Left unaddressed, little faults can only ruin a good reputation just as little extras raises the profile of a hotel.
The hotel itself and grounds are very nice if not for this terrible mistake. And reading the reviews later, it would appear that staff training and cooperation is sadly inadequate.

Room Tip: Make sure you have adequate locks on your door and remember to latch it before retiring. Much as you...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
BestWesternRedBluff, Front Office Manager at Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I looked at your Trip Advisor review with much regret. I would like to personally fully apologize for your experience with our Hotel. We were fully booked trying to accommodate firefighters fighting a local wildfire. This lead to a rooming confusion at the front desk that is without excuse leading to a another guest being given the wrong room number. This is in no way an excuse and is a sincere apology. This occurrence is my first in the nearly four years I have been working the Front Desk. It was a grievous error on my part and will implement new training to make sure this never happens again.

As with your breakfast experience we are in a transition period of opening our new breakfast room and we are sorry this was not surpassing your expectations. We do love to hear feedback from our guest about their stay so we know where to make adjustments to improve our property. We try very hard and are very sorry your stay with us had any issues at all. If there is anything I may do or us as a hotel can do to show our sincere apology please let us know. I know us as a staff will do all we can to show you our sincere care and hope that you will give us the chance to alleviate the negative experience you had staying with us.

Best Western Antelope Inn Management and Staff

Reviewed 14 August 2013

After driving 10 hours we decided to check BW Red Bluff, since its advertise as pet friendly, and the dog whisperer recommends a BW stay. We have two small dogs that sleep in a crate, so the space was adequate enough for three adults and two pups. Arrived at 1am, the air was at its highest so it wasn't old enough for us. It was too late to complain so we just tried to sleep. Unfortunately, we didn't have very good sleep because our dogs barked at every noise they heard. They normally not do that. Beds were ok, bathroom clean with the exception my husband old me he found black mold in the shower. We didn't complain about that either because it was just a quick stop. The breakfast wasn't anything to rave about, it's your typical high carb breakfast. The best tasting item was the waffles you cook yourself. Dining is early, so I got up early to eat a little, then went bak to bed before checkout. The front desk who greeted us at night, and the one at departure were both cordial, with adequate customer service. I didn't expect over the top service like my training at Disney, so for what we needed it was sufficient. Will I stay here again? Maybe, but I did like my stay at the HIEx Red Bluff on my way back. The dogs barked but not as much. The walls weren't as thin.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AppyTalk
Ajit P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for coming to stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay for the most part, and we would like to thank you for bringing the issues you did to our attention. We hope that you can see past these discrepancies and give us another chance down the line. Thank you for staying.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Subject: BEST WESTERN Plus Antelope Inn
Location: Red Bluff, California, United States, North America
Title:
ID#: 169444952

Recently our family of eight made a two day driving trip down to Disneyland from the Seattle area. We had made reservations for two "adjoining" rooms at this Best Western a month in advance. It was important that we had two queen beds in each room, and that they were adjoining for our large family. The person making the reservations assured us this would be no problem. So on the day we were booked to arrive, I thought it was best if we call again just to verify our reservations. A person named Nathan answered the phone and proceeded to check the reservation. After asking a few questions, and a couple minutes on hold, he asked if he could call back. About a half hour later, we finally received a call from Nathan. He explained that there was a problem with the reservation, claiming that the lady who took our reservation was new, and that she had improperly entered the reservation in the computer. He explained that he did not have our rooms, but he would work on it and get back to us. About an hour and a half later, we received another call from Nathan. He said he was able to find us the rooms we needed at the local Holiday Inn Express, and that he would be happy to "transfer" our reservation. So the good news is we called well before our arrival in Red Bluff, so something could be done about the Best Western reservation fiasco. Way better than had we arrived in the lobby expecting our reserved rooms. And while it seems like all is well, and Nathan did the best he could do, that is not the end of the story. The next day my wife receives an e-mail saying our credit card was being charged for the rooms at Best Western, that Nathan said he did not have, and "transferred" to Holiday Inn. My wife calls the Best Western and gets none other than the person who claims to be the "new girl" at the hotel desk. This person explains to my wife that the rooms were available after all, and could not understand why Nathan chose to tell us differently. She said she would have Nathan process the reimbursement for the charges when he arrived later in the day. Nathan calls back and now claims that the reservations were for a completely different day and tries to say we were a no show, basically throwing the new girl under the bus again. How unprofessional to make excuses and blame coworkers. In the end the charges were reversed, and no harm was done other than all the time we spent on the phone listening to lame excuses. The Holiday Inn Express in Red Bluff was really nice, and we will go back there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for your negative experience with our hotel. There is no excuse that we can give that can explain the unusually poor customer service demonstrated here. We at the Best Western Plus Antelope in apologize profusely for your bad experience with us, and we hope it did not taint your perception of the Best Western Brand.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Red Bluff
Travelodge Red Bluff
#8 of 16 in Red Bluff
Americas Best Value Inn - Red Bluff
Best Western Plus Corning Inn

Been to Best Western Antelope Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!