“A beautiful little place in a stunning location”
Review of Redcrest Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redcrest
Redcrest Resort
Pacific Ocean
“A beautiful little place in a stunning location”
Reviewed 30 August 2009

These little cabins are set back from the road and just far enough away from each other to be my perfect idea of a mountain cabin retreat. The grounds are meticulously maintained, and even though some of the amenities in the cabins are dated, the cabins are just perfect, in my opinion. From the wonderful front porch, where you can watch the sun set behind the redwoods and the fog roll in, to the very comfortable bed with extra pillows and blankets, I loved just being at this place.

A few clarifications may help those looking for a place in the area. This is by no means a "resort". It is more like a campground with cabins. There is a playground for kids and I think there is a hot tub somewhere on the property, but nothing else would make it a resort. The "motel units" described are actually great little rooms, two to a cabin, and you really feel like you are in your own cabin. Also, they shut this place down tight very early, and I think if you just show up after dark, it is unlikely that anyone will answer the door in the office.

And a couple of things to know before coming. The cafe across the street closes ridiculously early - like 6:30 PM - and the small store that was once here has been closed "for years". So eat before you come or splurge on one of the housekeeping units and bring your own food. The cafe does open for breakfast. There is no ice on the property - again, I advise to come prepared. There is an internet connection, but the management doesn't really want you to use it. They are very clear about "no uploads, downloads, or games" and say it is for checking your email only. It seemed to work well, but apparently goes down if overloaded in anyway. There is some, limited TV and cellular phones don't work at all. These could be used as selling points, in my opinion, but some people will be upset when they get here and find this out.

One last thing about the management. Whoever took my reservation in the morning was pleasant and friendly, but when we got here, the person (owner?) seemed very grumpy and had a general air of being inconvenienced. She also has a number of rather silly rules (like you have to have a parking pass on the driver's side of you dash, even though it appeared that there were very few patrons here. Overall, she seems unhappy and perhaps there is some history I am unaware of that justifies this. But all I see is a little bit of heaven and a potential gold mine of a property with an owner who doesn't see that at all. This place should have been booked solid on a Saturday night in August, but I think that the attitude of the management, as noted by so many other reviewers, may be hurting their business. I hope she takes the opportunity to read some of these reviews of her wonderful place and heeds some of the criticisms.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sailsequoyah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We just came home from a 4 night stay at these adorable cabins. We stayed in cabin 2 which is the 2 bedroom cabin. We had a King bed in the 2nd bedroom and a full bed along with a twin bed in the 1st bedroom. There were 5 of us. My husband & myself (mid 40's) along with our 7 year old daughter and my parents (ages 70 & 76). My Mother who can be very finicky was quite impressed with the cleanliness of the cabin which made our stay much more enjoyable. The cabins are well stocked with all of the cooking utensils we needed. We brought our own food and some paper products so we did not have to do too many dishes. We found the cabins to be very centrally located to so many sights. We ventured out everyday and came back every evening. There is a nice play area where my daughter loved swiging, playing tetherball, ping pong, and badmitten. The badmitten equipment needs some repairs/replacement which I am sure they have to replace quite often considering how rough some kids can be when they play. We especially enjoyed the great deck with the fire pit (wood was provided free). We were able to roast marshmallows and make Smores. My daughter had a blast! There was enough seating for a large group. It made me miss my Girl Scout Troop. I would have loved to have brought them with us. We have decided to make this trip an annual event and will be returning next year.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank LuvnLivnInCA
california
Reviewed 15 August 2009

my husband and i wanted to get away for our first anniversary but couldn't travel too far from home as my daughter was about to deliver my first grandchild. this was the perfect location only an hour from home. the cabin was extremely clean, the staff pleasant and helpful, and the hot tub under the stars was the perfect ending to a romantic evening. this is one of our new favorite spots to go when we want to get away but not to far away. the ony complaint would be that there is no longer a grocery store in the small town of redcrest, but this is not the fault of the owners and staff of this charming little "resort" bring food for cooking in the small kitchen and you will be fine.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank farmerswife707
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We spent two night here, and loved everything. The cabins have no phones (a PLUS, we were on vacation, afterall) wi-fi service was available, but internet was very slow. Kitchens were stocked with everything we needed: coffee pot, microwave, pots/pans, crockpot, sliverware, plates, even wine glasses.
Bathrooms were supplied with towels, toilet paper, shampoo and soap.
Beds were very comfy! TV and VCR were provided (although we only got a few channels)
People here were VERY friendly! We took our dog, and they are dog friendly too :-)
The redwoods were right in my backyard.
I hope to go back to the redwoods, and I'll stay here again. I can't think of anything BAD to say. I loved it here, and didn't want to go home.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank afmel
BELLEAUWOOD
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Do not waste your time or money. Staff is very rude and could care less if you patronized them. Could not even get an extra towel. Used to stay there as a child in the 60's, it has changed for the negative. Horrible staff !!!! They like to talk down to you.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BELLEAUWOOD
South Dakota
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Incredibly rude, dis-honest staff. A shame to the quaint little town of Red Crest. The owners of this "resort" need to find a different profession for they do not know how to interact with others and can't grasp the concept of providing service. They acted like children, having fits about situations that could have calmly been resolved with simple communication skills.

The owners of the hotel made a financial mistake on their part and then failed to apologize and continued to harass our family for things like opening windows and parking in the wrong spot. I feel degraded and am embarrassed that this facility has representation in the Avenue of the Giants. This is not the Humboldt County hospitality that we received in other locations.

Boycott this place.

• Liked — driving away
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank SoDakmama
redwoodgirl101
Reviewed 12 October 2008

My best girlfriend was getting married and was looking for a place nearby for us ladies to get ready. We booked the most expensive room (which was way overpriced for the accommodations) and informed the owner of our intentions. As our bridesmaids arrived they scolded them heavily for parking (in a parking space) inside the resort and for not parking off the property. The 3 people running this so called resort were very, very confrontational. They proceeded to confront and threaten the bride on her wedding day that they were going to throw her out for disobeying the 2 car limit rule. They even went so far to say she had not paid, until she displayed her receipt. It was utterly disgusting. I am a local of Humboldt County and this unacceptable and very unusual. Please, if you considering coming to visit the redwoods, stay in Garberville where there are many friendly motels, the Meyers Inn in Meyers Flat, the Benbow Inn in benbow (which is spectacular!) and anything north of scotia/rio dell. All I can say is please don't make the mistake we did, these people do not deserve to have a business!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank redwoodgirl101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcrest
Benbow Historic Inn
Best Western Plus Humboldt House Inn
Dean Creek Resort
Dean Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Redway

Been to Redcrest Resort? Share your experiences!