“Gem in the High Desert”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Gem in the High Desert”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stopped in at the Thunderbird Lodge while in Redding on business. Tired, hot, hungry, I impertinently asked the desk clerk about the safety and security of the place, to which he replied, “Look at the cameras and the signs. We do not tolerate anything.” Good enough for me. A bit pricey at $70+, including tax and fees. But I was happy at being at a place where I did not need to check my car throughout the night.

I settled into a nice, large, clean room with great A/C and good WiFi. Refrigerator and microwave a nice plus, great bathroom with tissues. Arrived about 6:00 pm to a nearly empty parking lot and by 7:30 pm it was filled. Pool is available and many eateries are well within walking distance. Staff is very nice and accommodating, although the wake-call was 7 minutes late. (I was already up.) Check out was easy and I was on my way. Definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a downstairs, as parking may be a little tricky.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
Lakeport, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

There's nothing really wrong with it. We stayed there (GF reserved it) so she could take her NCLEX exam. I would have stayed on the other side of town, where the testing center is located—there are about 5 hotels nearby. Which is exactly the point. Downtown is not really a place you want to stay in or near.

Like I said there isn't really anything wrong with the room, but there were some sirens, and it's right near the hospital flight path—so, helicopter noise happens, and the train runs nearby too. All that happened while we were laying by the pool (nice little pool). I didn't notice any noise while we were sleeping because the air conditioner drowned it all out! OK, maybe I'm being a little harsh. The AC was loud though.

The room itself was nice, fairly small, but freshly remodeled. Bed was comfortable, shower not a tub and it had something to eat in the morning. They call it breakfast, I put it well short of breakfast. Maybe I'm becoming a hotel snob. I didn't and wouldn't mind staying here. I have paid more for less. My point is that if you are staying in Redding, there are at least a dozen other places near stuff to stay at. It was reasonably priced though. . .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We didn't expect much from this room but it was awesome. It had a vaulted wood beamed ceiling, a fridge, and a microwave. Across the street is a great bar called Maxwell's that has craft brews and amazing food!

Room Tip: upstairs room was perfect
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank summermarie62
Eureka, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I would give the Thunderbird Lodge 3 1/2 stars but 1/2 stars are not an option. I had read some of the reviews speaking poorly of this property but booked it because the positive reviews seemed to be more realistic. We came to Redding to see a concert and the Thunderbird was within easy walking distance to the Cascade Theater and Jack's Grill where we had dinner. The motel is older but has been update and the room we had (king non smoking) was clean, efficiently laid out and remodeled. The bed was comfortable and noise (a complaint from some reviewers) was not a problem. Yes we did hear a train whistle and some sirens but none of it interfered w/ a good night's sleep. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful and solved MY reservation problem. (Couldn't find my reservation because I didn't remember I had made it in my girlfriend's name). She found us another room, gave us the best internet rate, and the next morning had figured out why we couldn't find the reservation originally. Very nice and very professional.
They also offer a limited continental breakfast but who cares with the bargain price for an overnight stay…you're staying here for breakfast! Don't let the negative reviews keeping you from giving the Thunderbird a try.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel due to family in the area and I suspect we'll be back. Nice, clean and good location. Also friendly staff. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Mexican restaurant next door is decent and quick. Can't beat it for the price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Very nice owner that checked us in. Very clean. Prices are very reasonable. Will stay there again. The Mexican restaurant in the same parking lot was very good too. We highly recommend you stay here. They have completely remodeled.

Room Tip: If you have a dog tell them you want a ground floor room,.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Although affordable, the stay was somewhat disappointing. The room was rundown, noisy and the bed was uncomfortably lumpy. Having the coffee making facilities on the bathroom sink next to the toilet was not good. Most of the rooms appear to be getting updated and about time

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple