“What a wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Desmond House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redding
The Desmond House
Ranked #5 of 9 Redding B&B and Inns
Cupertino, California
“What a wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I had to travel to Redding as my daughter was having surgery at the Shasta Regional Medical Center. I arrived, after driving for five hours, tired and just a bit anxious. The moment Greg greeted me and showed me my room I started relaxing. The bed had a great mattress. There were robes in the closet, the bathroom was modern and everything was clean and beautiful. AND, it was less than five minutes from the hospital.

As you arrive the house looks like a modest home on Riverside. Upon entering you will be treated to a marvelous experience. It's a combination of old world blended beautifully with updated amenities. There are only two rooms so it's very personal. (I met the nicest people who were also staying there.)

The coffee was ready first thing in the morning - with tender pastries, bagels and a fresh fruit bowl for each guest. There was also a large selection of tea available.

I'm a quilter and it just happened that Greg had two beautiful and very special quilts, that his grandmother made, to show me. They were exquisite! And, speaking of Greg, he is a delightful and thoughtful innkeeper. You are more than a guest at the Desmond House - you are a friend.

My stay was too short. But I will return - next time on a pleasure trip.

Room Tip: Both rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank dtippie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

If you’re the kind of person who likes to relax and be pampered then the Desmond House is for you. The house blends ‘old world’ charm with modern conveniences and most importantly an incredibly comfortable mattress. Awake each morning with coffee and enjoy life on the Sacramento River right from the front window. You will be happy you stayed at The Desmond House.

Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank jmarceau2006
Walnut Creek, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

Clean, homey, safe, modern bathrooms and old world living spaces. Lovely details in the furnishings, a cross between 1850 and 1930 in the eclectic collections and especially the lighting fixtures. Everything works perfectly; there are 2 large screen TV's where we could watch the Giants' game in the fluffy provided robes! We had the 2 BR house to ourselves, a bonus because my husband is up a lot at night and needs space to stretch out, microwave leftovers, etc. There are several nooks for reading, overlooking the Sacramento River or just relaxing in light, plant filled spaces. The kitchen is fully furnished, including a vintage Wedgewood double oven stove. There's a new outdoor hot tub and unique wood fired 4-6 person sauna in a huge converted wine barrel. Greg, the owner, is unobtrusive and helpful. We felt right at home.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yag42
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

I arrived after a long hot day of driving to find a cool, welcoming, incredibly tastefully decorated haven inside. I really couldn't believe my luck on stumbling on this gem. Slept very soundly in the Brooks room, in the gorgeous antique bed. The host, Greg, was very friendly and kept me company during breakfast (I was traveling alone) and made me feel 110% at home. Definitely in my top 5 favorite B&Bs.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ColleenLA
Grants Pass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

A home furnished with beautiful antiques, plants, furniture, and lovely breakfasts items. Ummm, the coffee is magnificent!! Many large windows looking out toward the Sacramento River. A very comfortable room and house to relax and enjoy "your own free time!!" We would stay again. And Greg is a fine "host". He was very helpful with any questions we had regarding the Redding area & things to do!!! Truly, a fine abode!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrantsPassAvenue
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

I came for a weekend retreat and some silence and solitude. Beautiful atmosphere. Very peaceful. Great attention to detail. Highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank jenjram
Southern CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

This B&B is so beautiful & quiet. Sitting on the Sacramento river it is close to lovely restaurants and the Cascade Theatre. My husband & I enjoyed our stay immensely. We'll be back!

• Liked — Comfort of the room/bed and the price was excellent
  • Disliked — It was hot in August!!!
  • Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelRNSouthernCA