“Rude staff, and overpriced”

Travelodge Redding CA
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Reviewed 18 September 2010

I went to get a room, but the front desk clerk was flat out rude. I don't understand why they would be so rude to a customer. After getting an unnecessary attitude from the front desk, i decided to leave and go next door, and i had a great stay and comfortable stay at the Rodeway Inn.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank borntraveler111
RTL, General Manager at Travelodge Redding CA, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2010

It does not appear that the service you speak of in this review is the type of service denoted by the majority of the 195 reviews listed here for the Redding Travelodge. I'm very sorry if in any way we missed the mark, but if you found something better than the quality customer service we are know for and a better price for the value added amenities and offerings we provide, then you've done well.
We ARE the best in our area and our staff, standards, service, pricing and over all facility has earned us a#2 out of 35 ranking in Redding with TripAdvisor. Generally, we're 20-30% cheaper than comparative properties, so overpriced is overstated. When we are full, we do recommend the Vally Inn across the street from us. The ownership there have also worked hard to raise the standard and provide quality lodging as we have.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,671)

Reviewed 13 September 2010

I had to drive from Bend, Oregon to San Francisco, CA over labor day. I decided to cut up the trip by staying half way. So based on the trip advisor reviews I made a reservation at Redding Travelodge. Unfortunately when I arrived at this Travelodge I was informed that my reservation was made for a different day. The hotel charged my credit card for the $64 for the night I did not show up for the reservation. They informed me that they had tried to call me several times of the day of the reservation before they charged my card. This as everyone knows is a huge lie. The telephone number that I gave them was my cell phone and the day the reservation was made I was at my desk all day. THEY DID NOT CALL ME. I understand that I made the reservation for the wrong day. The hotel was not sold out that day nor was the hotel sold out the day I arrived. The clerk was very rude to me so I decided just to drive to San Francisco without staying at the hotel. They wanted to charge me the rack rate for the night I arrive which was just a little to much for me to handle after six hours in the car. It would have cost the hotel no more money for me to stay there the night I arrived. The reason I am writing this review is to tell everyone that I expect this to happen at a one star Motel 6. However, the reason I reserved this hotel is that the give great customer service. I tried to contact the hotel during the week to talk to the hotel manager but he or she would not talk to me. The hotel itself is situated away from I-5 and one needs GPS to find it. The hotel looked like any other Travelodge anywhere in America. There are many other choices in Redding so if I where anyone I would stay elsewhere. BTW I don't care about the money, I just care that if a hotel has a high rating they have to go out of their way to be a little better than the competition. .

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank joelacpa
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Everything I read in the reviews was accurate. Convenient and clean at an affordable rate is all I ask; however, if the rate is consistent with other motels that offer breakfast, I'd like to have that breakfast. This motel does not include breakfast in the rates. It gives you a voucher for a restaurant about 5 minutes away, but, of course, taking about an hour out of your day to go over there, sit down, get waited on, etc. This is okay if you are a tourist staying a while in Redding, but if you're on the road or business, you may not have the time. So consider this factor when staying.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Stopped on the way to Palm Springs for a night, picked the Travelodge because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor. Beds were wonderful and full fridge, microwave, fluffy towels were all great. We were a little worried when we settled in and could hear every word our next door neighbour spoke to his children and their response. Thankfully everyone was asleep by 11:00. There are various restaurants nearby, but make sure you're there early as all are closed by 10 o'clock. All in all, a good experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

The Ritz this is not. However, if you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep that's clean and roomy, and not pay through the nose, this is the place for you. We (myself, husband, 2 young kids) spent two nights here and have no regrets. The room was quite large, almost as big as some studio apartments. The staff were all friendly and very willing to go the extra mile to answer my questions. My kids loved the complimentary breakfasts at Lumberjack's -- my son swore it was the best oatmeal he'd ever had! The pool was perfect, and the fitness room/sauna room while a bit strange was a big hit with my kids (if only I could have used it without them, but who wants to discourage youth fitness?).

The only negative I have is that the kitchen did not come with anything that made it useable. No silverware, no plates, no glasses (except the standard plastic cups), no cooking pots/pans/utensils. So, while in theory it would have been nice to use the kitchenette, we only used it to reheat some leftovers in the container and to keep our waters cold. Had I been aware we needed to "BYO" I might have packed accordingly. However, for the amount of money we saved staying here rather than at one of the more "plush" hotels more than covered the cost of eating lunch and/or dinner out rather than make it in the room.

One thing I did not realize until the morning we were checking out, is that this hotel is within walking distance to the rear entrance to the Arboretum. My daughter and I were up early, so we got hot cocoa (her) and coffee (me) at the nearby Dutch Brother's stand and walked around the arboretum right after it opened. This is a selling point they are missing an opportunity in advertising. Really, don't drive to the Turtle Bay entrance, walk in here in the misty morning and enjoy it before the other tourists arrive and the heat descends. Then walk back and enjoy the pool before heading to Lumberjack's for your free/discounted breakfast.

This is a great budget motel and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank CAHappy
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I read the reviews here and decided this motel would be a nice stopover after a week of camping. It was perfect in every way. The room was clean and spotless and had every amenity, including a refrigerator and a microwave. There was a guest laundry down the hall. The front desk was very helpful, and let me use their printer to print a document. The motel was quiet and a 5 minute drive from everything. I was able to do my laundry, re-pack my camping gear, and get on the road again. The breakfast coupon at Lumberjack's was a nice perk and I didn't mind that it was a 5 minute drive from the hotel. All in all, I would not hesitate to come back here or to recommend it

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This hotel is excellent in every way and is still the #1 rated hotel in Redding for very good reasons. The non-smoking hotel has perfectly clean rooms - carpeting, bedding, bathrooms, all perfectly clean. The service is professional and excellent. The location in Redding is close to the I-5 for travelers. The rooms are large and very well laid out. The room we stayed in this year (we stay there every year) had a separate room that included a sink, fridge, microwave, fridge, and bathroom providing much needed privacy for families traveling together. The hotel is very quiet, and we sleep well there every year. Highly recommended. There are free breakfast coupons to 'Lumberjacks' resteraunt which has really good food.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family