“A pleasent suprise”

Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Redding
Vancouver Island, BC
“A pleasent suprise”
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We checked into our room at 10pm and were exhausted from our trip (we'd been on a road trip for the past 10 days). We got into the room and checked to make sure beds were clean and everything was good. Our room had 2 queen beds and then a seperate room with a locking door that went to the bathroom/kitchen. It was large so you weren't going pee in your kitchen or anything but it was really nice having the full fridge and large area to get ready in the morning.

Once in the room the front desk called because they had forgotten to give us a key to the other room. OTHER ROOM!!??!! Yeppers, they had upgraded us from the basic 2 queen to the kids suite!! The seperate room had a double bed, tv with dvd and vcr player, 2 cute sleepy bear lamps, a sleepy bear chair and was just the cutest little room ever!!.

The beds were reasonable, nothing like the plush brand new beds we had at HOJO in Disneyland but we slept well and were really happy with the service and the room (oops, I mean suite!!). There is no breakfast (at least that I saw or were told about) and the pool was outdoor and much too cold for us to use. I think there was a spa and work out room but we left so early that we didn't use it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Czech first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I have never written in or used Trip Advisor before but my daughter has and has had good results so I thought I would use it for our stop over in Redding. Well this hotel was listed as #2 for Redding and so we thought - great. Price was very reasonable. But when we got there we were disappointed. First it was in a lousy part of town with no restaurants near by but a Chinese and Mexican with most of the lights in the letter missing. But I thought this is a little town maybe this is all there is. The hotel/motel was not bad looking from the outside but it was one of the old kind that you have to park and walk outside and upstairs to your room. The room looked like a flashback from 1960. It seemed clean enough but the beds must have been from 1960 - they were hard as a rock - no give at all. I was suspicious of the sheets and pillowcases they didn't look crisp and clean. And the pillows had lumps in them. There was a free breakfast that was not bad but you had to drive quite a way to get to it - that is when I saw that there was a better part of town. I would not recommend it or stay there again. Sorry to say.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie8553
Anacortes
Reviewed 21 November 2010

A happy find on a long road trip. Nice comfortable room with everything we needed. Showed up without reservations and got an excellent rate. Amazing value, as the free breakfast was at a locally popular restaurant. A nice choice of food, and we enjoyed the experience. (I think another breakfast option is available for those who don't want to drive a half mile south to the restaurant.) The Travelodge is near an entrance to an Arboretum. A path through the gardens leads to the river, the Sundial Bridge, and a cafe and museum beyond, a nice surprise to us.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dayle F
UK
Reviewed 21 November 2010

We spent one night at this travelodge and found it to be clean and comfortable, bit of a pain having to carry our heavy bags up the stairs as we were in a first floor room and there wasn't a lift.
We thought the breakfast would be closer and wondered where on earth we were going but followed the instructions and it was well worth it, the breakfast at Lumberjacks was excellent.

Sunny California
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I'm a grandma and stayed here with my two grandaughters, 5 & 7 for a couple of nights while we visited nearby Turtle Bay and Mt Lassen. I was a little freaked about the bedbug report by a recent reviewer, but there was not a live insect in the place, inside or our so I can only assume they took care of any problem. The room was BIG, the beds were 5 star comfy, things were SPOTLESS (cleaner that I have seen at luxury hotels); we even had a full kitchette and that was handy. It is in a quiet area of town so good sleeping. The staff was helpful and friendly and the free breakfast a short drive away at Lumberjacks was very good, It was such a good value that I kind of felt guilty!! I would recommend this place to anyone and certainly will stay here again!!

1 Thank MandragoraMaggie
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 18 November 2010

This is my second stay at this Travelodge. I like the cozy feeling as you enter the parking lot. Everything was waiting upon check-in. It was a breeze. The clerk knew how to move it along quickly, something I always appreciate. The room was clean and comfortable for my one night stay. I especially appreciated the touch of them calling to remind us of the time change. After a hectic day it was a relief to not have any worries.

Puyallup WA
Reviewed 7 November 2010

The reviews were a primary reason I chose Travelodge, and at first glance, everything lived up to what we expected, not the ritz, but more than adequate for the price. The bathroom was very clean, the mattress looked new, I slept pretty well...until I woke up with bedbug bites. They must have loved me, my husband had none.
When checking out, I told the clerk, and she commented, "we just changed that mattress, too!" Obviously there was a reason the mattress had to be changed. They were proactive, it seems, but not thorough enough. It was room 250, in case you're checking in. Avoid that room, and any nearby, above or below. I canceled my next reservation for the return trip home and stayed in Red Bluff an a unique B&B, the Jeter Victorian Inn. Another experience, but in a very, very good way!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mjArtist
RTL, General Manager at Travelodge Redding CA, responded to this review, 10 November 2010
I too have mixed feelings, mine is about the review and the negative impact such a review has on a business that has worked very hard to be a "Quality Designator" with Travelodge and a proud member of the Wyndham family. This designation is rare. It is given for highly maintained standards of quality and cleanliness. Not only that but it combines a service element that is taken from various metrics of service and surveys from our guests. Just as we have over 200 reviews here on TripAdvisor which show a clear pattern of exceptional guest satisfaction. This is who we are. An economy property that shoots higher than many in our sector.
Reality: We have NEVER had bed bugs The mixed felling I have this review is on one hand we were clean and the other she had this "issue." The review's bed bug statement is false, misleading & defamatory. It has negatively affected some business, but not those who know us. We’ve never had bed bugs. How do we know, we were one of the first property's that began passive & daily inspection, we have a contracted service assuring, isolation & eradication if ever needed. Tossing the bed wouldn't work. All the rooms surrounding such a find would have to be isolated and treated. This guest would have to be treated and everything with her collected and isolated. Almost certainly this guest would bring home the bugs. We would have had an infestation and by this stage be in full fledged attack mode against such critters. But, this is NOT THE CASE. What did our guest experience? I honestly do not know. I don't know their travels. I don't know where they had been. Where they visited, what they did. I do know we have had no issues in the room they stayed in or any of the other 40 room on our property.
We're clean with no bed bugs, but bed bugs aren't limited to clean or dirty properties, they can be found in any 5 star also.That is why it's a "must" to have a plan and procedure - a process, to make sure daily you don't have a problem. We do this for our guest protection as well as our own - I live on property, it's my home. You guys are my guests and that's why we do what we do.
In our management responses as in all our dealings - I shot straight and tell you the truth. We we had such an issue we would address that with the same forthrightness.
As for the beds, we changed our beds not due to bed bugs, rather guest satisfaction and our current brand standard which again, we were out in front of the standard and began replacing beds well over a year ago, "NEW" Pillow Top Serta Perfect Sleeper Concierge Emerald Plush mattresses - doing this even during the recession - Why to provide comfort for our guests. That is what our front desk person was saying,
Assumption, self diagnosis and a review not based in actual fact is now one that we have to respond to, seemingly defending ourselves against something we don't offer - when people love us for what we do offer, Value, Cleanliness and great customer service.