“Just OK”

Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Sacramento,CA
“Just OK”
Reviewed 29 January 2011

I don't know what other people like so much about this hotel but their stands must be low, I am a business traveller and I stay at a lot of hotels and the Redding Travelodge is average. The rooms have nice furnishings but they are cramped, the pillows were old and flat and the noise from other guests kept me awake. The location is not great, cell reception was awful and I had to drive up the hill to get a signal. The hotel is not in a great location either, there's only one nearby restaurant and there's bars and thrift stores.
The lobby opens at 8am so if you are an early riser and want their continental breakfast forget it, most hotels open their lobby at 6am.
For the money Travelodge is ok but I recommend staying at the hotels off of Hwy 44 which is 2mi to the south, lots of restaurants and shopping nearby.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Sactownca
RTL, Manager at Travelodge Redding CA, responded to this review, 4 February 2011
I wanted to share some insights from the property to clarify a few things that were shared. We have the high rating we do because of the service we provide at the value pricing we provide. Many of our guests are pleasantly surprised at the value, cleanliness and the friendliness of our staff. We have some of the largest rooms in the area in kitchenette rooms and our regular rooms are spacious. We have recently purchased new Pillow top beds, pillows. Our new linens that are the top of the line in the hospitality business.
Where we are located is actually one of the rising areas in Redding, with many Federal, State and local improvements. Most business in the area have spent a tremendous amount of time and resources in major remodels and construction. We are within a mile from entrance to the Turtle Bay Exploration Park, the Sundial Bridge, the McConnell Arboretum and Caldwell Park - with miles of trails by the Sacramento River. There are well over 50 plus restaurants within 2 miles of Redding Travelodge. There is an amazing Thai food restaurant just three businesses down from the hotel. Within walking distance you’ll find, Lim’s Chinese, a local favorite. Just down from there, Market Street Pizza & Deli . Many like being close to everything, but not over ran by traffic and congestion. We are just a few minutes to any of the major restaurants and fast food chains. The Mt. Shasta Mall is also just minutes away. We’re located very close to Bethel Church and the local colleges.

Regarding our hours, our lobby is open from 7 am - 11 pm and we a full time resident manager and night person at the property, someone is always there, even when the lobby is closed. Our night call button is always attended. We serve a free sit down breakfast at Lumberjacks which starts at 6 am and goes until 11 am. We decided many years ago not offer the standard, stale bagel and warm glass of juice many call a continental l breakfast. Instead, we give guests the expanded menu at the local “best rated breakfast in Redding” restaurant, Lumberjacks, this offering is a highly rated guest amenity. We’ve maintained our high TripAdvisor rating for over 6 years now, partly due to the above and fact that many hotels off of Hwy 44 that this guest refers to are usually around much more expensive and offer no more than we do, and in many cases less. Read all the reviews and make your choice – if you stay with us, you won’t be disappointed.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Czech first
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I seldom write these reviews and I am usually only tempted when I am unhappy with something. This is not the case this time. It is difficult to find any negative things to say. We stayed here two different nights a week apart. Good value. Desk clerk (Monica) was efficient, helpful and pleasant. The Thai restaurant a few doors down was an authentic and well-priced bonus. Towels were as thick and soft as a much more expensive hotel. The breakfast vouchers for Lumberjacks restaurant were easy to use, offered several modest choices for no charge, and even allowed a $3.50 credit toward anything on the menu. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Alturas, CA
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I searched the net for the best place to stay and was very excited to find the Travel Lodge in Redding. My son was getting a tonsillectomy and I really wanted to find a nice, quiet and clean place he could come back to after the surgery so the Travel Lodge seemed the perfect place. I checked it and the front staff was polite but distant. The room was very clean and larger than some. I was disappointed that we didn't get a full size fridge, only a mini one. I was hoping for a freezer for my son and had told the person I talked to on the phone that while making reservations. The fridge and microwave were right next to and on the bathroom sink. Though the beds were clean, I had a hard time sleeping because they were quite firm. I prefer a softer mattress. I thought maybe it was me, but each person staying with me said the same thing. We woke up and took my son to have surgery. It was 6AM. They decided they were going to have to cancel his surgery and reschedule. We got back from the hospital at 7:30AM and I was hoping to cancel the 2nd night since we wouldn't be needing the room. I explained the situation to the front staff and was informed that since I hadn't told them about it the night before, they couldn't refund our second night. I understand why there are policies and they are there for a reason, but sometimes there are circumstances that are beyond our control and a little bit of compassion and understanding would have gone a long way for me. Instead I was politely told there was no possible way. Its not like it was 11AM, and they wouldn't have time to clean the room. It was 7:30AM for goodness sakes. The highlight of our trip was the cleaning woman who brought me extra pillows because of the firm mattress and gave us fresh towels. She was nicer than either of the woman at the front counter and she probably gets paid less. Needless to say, this is better than staying at Motel 6, but at least they are friendlier there and would have refunded my 2nd night given the circumstances. You take it for what it is. I probably wont go back.
P.S. There was a large room two doors down from the room they gave us. The room is like two rooms in one. That is the room they show you in the photos online. Expect something half that size. I dont know what you have to do to get that room, but they didnt even offer it to us and we were the first one to get there that day. Cheers!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank laniebabies
BC, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2011

The Redding Travelodge is the best value for the money we've ever spent in our travels, and we have been in many hotels. Even a couple supposedly "value centered" Anaheim (Disneyland area) Hotels couldn't deliver nearly this level of comfort, cleanliness, service and perks and they cost more than twice the price!

The suite we stayed in had all we needed, and then some, so it was great value for dad's hard-earned money. The beds were very comfortable and mom, having had a back surgery 6 months ago, actually had her best sleep in ages. And there was ample room for the kids to run around after 13 hours in a cramped sedan.

Our sleepover complete we actually didn't want to pack and leave, but the great finale for the stay was yet to come: BREAKFAST at LUMBERJACKS. We had one of the best and biggest traditional breakfasts we've ever eaten and it was included with the hotel stay! It was totally worth the very short trip down the road. Included free is a great meal and for only a few dollars more one can upgrade to an even more deluxe meal.

Mom had fruit and a healthy veggie omlette, dad loaded up on carbs and watched lumberjack sports on the big screens, and the kids, faces covered in maple syrup, loved the log cabin motif.

We enjoyed the experience so much on our trip down the I-5 that we went out of our way, driving into the night, just so we could stay at the Redding Travelodge on our way back home. We look forward to future stays at this gem and only wish we lived closer!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2011

This was my first stay at this property. Over the past 10-15 years, my family always stopped in Redding on our way to Palm Springs, and usually at another property. After reading how things had changed for the worse at our usual stay, I did my research to find somewhere else. Tripadvisor is spot on! This Travelodge exceeded all my expectations, and will now become our #1 for Redding. Reception staff were beyond excellent--so pleasant and gracious after a 13 hour drive. Even though it was on a busy street, we were not bothered by any noise whatsoever. So glad I read the reviews!

sierra foothills CA
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Clean, Comfortable, Com...
"Just the facts Ma'am..."
Okay, great room for 58 bucks
"What about the area?"
Not much around it, other motels and a mexican restaurant next door, you need to drive down Hilltop for food and drink
"What about breakfast?"
You get a coupon for a free break. at a place in
redding, if you don't want it you get a bagged break. which includes yogurt, applesauce a granola bar and fruit,, it was awsome.
"Anything else to add?
Free wifi, friendly folks, I have to go now. onward to Portland Or. Mariott

Bullhead City, Arizona
Reviewed 1 January 2011

This was my first time ever staying at a Travelodge and if they are all like this I will be looking for a Travelodge everyplace we stay! It was well kept, clean and quiet. They don't offer free breakfast onsite but give you a voucher to go to Lumberjacks restaurant down the street which had very good food. The price was very reasonable.