“Good room and staff but bugs to iron out with reservation system”

Comfort Suites Redding
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here two Saturday nights in a row and had great sleep both times. The rooms are spacious, clean, and NEW (at least at the time of this review). The staff was friendly as well. I'm not a fan of continental breakfasts because they're all the same: cheap food, cheap brands and always the same stuff, but that was to be expected. The bed was comfortable and so was the sofa (firm, yet supple).

Now for the bad: Slow elevator and no stairs near it.
Each night there was a major problem with their reservation system. On the first night many people were turned away after confirming their reservation online (I'm not sure on which website(s)). A week later during my second stay, I decided to call rather than use a third party company (e.g. Travelocity, Trip Advisor, etc.) to make sure I didn't lose my reservation like many the week before. Somehow the overseas agent for the corporation that owns this place botched my name so badly (spelled the whole thing backwards somehow) that I had to argue with the front desk staff and request a manager before they finally found my reservation. It was past midnight (I had forewarned them of my late arrival hours earlier) so you can imagine how stressed I was for that 10 minutes they were denying my reservation.

If you're booking anytime soon, I'd recommend a phone call directly to the front desk, NOT the reservation center and not a third party company UNLESS you book in advance. I'm sure they'll work out the bugs eventually...

All in all, I'd stay here again because it's "high end" (not really) for Redding, new, and you can get a good night sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sivadyert

Reviewed 23 July 2014

After seven days in rustic settings I booked a two queen bed room at this hotel (my poor hubby had been sleeping on lumpy pull outs all week). WRONG. Our room had a king bed with .... you guessed .... a pull out couch. Despite having my printed booking confirmation of a room with two queen beds I was told the hotel was full and could not honor my purchase. They blamed their computer system and offered us a discount. I was so frustrated as Redding is full of this kind of hotel. I could have booked two queen beds anywhere. But as we arrived late we couldn't face looking for another hotel and suffered yet another uncomfortable night. This is such a dishonorable practice (in reading past reviews I saw this has happened before). I do not feel it is satisfied by a discounted room rate (I believe the hotel should either "comp" the room or provide a second room). If you want a particular bed arrangement this is not the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Chances are you won't get the room you booked.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rileyc65
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here on our way from Portland to San Francisco and will be staying again on our return trip. We like the separate seating area that breaks up the typical hotel room. Good beds, nice pool area and everything is clean and new. If you get a chance it is worth the time to see the Sundial Bridge nearby.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This Choice Hotels, Comfort Suites is NEW, it opened this summer. The hotel is very nice, every room is a large spacious suites. The staff were all very professional and helpful. The location is right off off I-5 with easy access.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Convenient, brand new facility, cool, clean, quiet, very comfy & indoor pool. Very hot there, so indoor pool was a treat. Large rooms with big screen and fridge. Great beds.
The staff is nice and helpful.
Great choices for breakfast and good hours. Easy to find and a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has only been open for a few weeks, on a conditional permit and I stayed there with my husband the day after they got the official certificate of occupancy. The room was very spacious and clean, and the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I can remember sleeping in. The staff was very friendly and quick to accommodate. Breakfast had a good variety, though I was a bit disappointed in what appeared to be microwaved cheese omelets and there was no bacon or sausage like there usually is with this chain. But we got a good meal nevertheless. I had only two complaints: no shelf or ledge in the shower, which meant bending over for soap or shampoo (hard on a bad back), and the lack of the usual extra flip-type security lock that allows you to open the door partially but still keep it locked. The gal at the desk said that most of the rooms have those locks but they ran out and they're back-ordered. So - if this is important to you, be sure to ask or view the room first. Overall - very happy and we'd stay there again.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here on our way to Oregon. This is a new hotel. The room we had was very large and the bed was excellent ! Unfortunately the night clerk we had was not too well informed on the hours of the pool use. We pulled in around 9:00 pm looking forward to a nice soak in the spa. She said it closed at 9:00 oh well too late. Next morning after checking it out, come to find out it was open till 10:00. The attendant in the breakfast room was very nice and cheery. Kept everything filled up and very clean. It was a good breakfast. Eggs, bacon, waffles, pastries and fruit. We also stayed here again on our return trip home. Looks like we have a new favorite stop in Redding. Also Choice Rewards members are usually acknowledged. This hotel did not. We are Platinum members.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple