See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 July 2006

Ok- I have never actually submitted review before, but I could not let anyone else make the mistake of coming to this hotel after relying on the previous posts.

I just checked in and got to my room. This is the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed at. You will see from the pics I attached.

When I got to my room, there was a nice condom wrapper greating me at the room. Upon further inspection, I noticed the chairs had "questionable" stains (see pics) and the matress was completely filthy! The carpets are one continuous stain and the wall have a "nice" pathwork paint-job to set the mood.

I was under the impression I would be staying at comfortable and clean place. I was wrong. This place is filthy. I am actually looking for another hotel as we speak.

On the bright side, at least their wireless internet works so that I could send you this review.

All the best

Date of stay: June 2006
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank legalelliot
Reviewed 25 March 2005

I'm an economy kind of guy....I love Red Roof Inns, but there wasn't one in Redding. The Ponderosa Inn was very nice, clean, close to downtown and in a pleasant and safe neighborhood. The price was reasonable for the accomodations, Internet access and the morning breakfast (Cheerios & Corn Flakes, muffins, fruit, coffee, orange juice, milk).

I stayed 4 nights and would definitely stay there again. My room was large, clean and the shower worked great. I used the DSL/Cable modem hookup with my laptop with no problems. The front desk even loaned me a Cat-5 cable for FREE!

No noisy bar or lounge. People stay here because they want peace and quiet.

I highly recommend the Ponderosa Inn if you want a motel that is a step above Motel Six.

Date of stay: March 2005
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
5  Thank GenesisOne1
Reviewed 17 August 2004

My family (mother, sister, two daughters, and I) stayed here the night of Aug. 11 and would NEVER stay here again. I am amazed at the other excellent reviews, which was why I booked this place originally.
At check-in, though I'd booked our room months in advance, we were told that there were no roll-away cots available. Either three of us could squeeze into a double bed and they'd reduce the rate by $14, or they'd give us another (smoking) room with a queen bed. We opted for the extra room, which I thought was very generous of the management. However, the room was dirty (everything was sticky!), the pillows were on top of the comforter, as if someone had recently used the bed, the furnishings had to be 30+ years old and very shabby, and the comforter had stains on it and was falling apart. The other room (with two double beds) was a little better, but the phone didn't work, the air conditioner was deafening, the side of the mattress was stained (as if someone had been sick), and the carpeting was dirty-looking. To top it off, the 'continental breakfast' consisted of doughnuts with pink icing, so we went across to Safeway to buy bagels, fruit, and juice.
At check-out they wanted to charge us the price of a roll-away cot for the extra room, even though we'd been told it would be free. After some discussion they agreed to waive that charge, but we were told that the hotel was fully booked the previous night and they'd lost a lot of money by giving the room to us.
My advice - if you're stopping in Redding, stay at the Oxford Suites

Date of stay: August 2005
19  Thank travelbug54_10
Reviewed 24 June 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Ponderosa for one night in June, 2004.

The hotel's strengths were its decent rooms, relatively friendly staff, and nice swimming pool.

The hotel is a bit hard to find and in a seemingly "backwater" location (there was nowhere open to eat on the night we arrived), and our reservation had been lost (whether by Best Western's toll-free service or the hotel I don't know, but they discounted our room by 10% for the trouble), but for the price it was okay.

Date of stay: May 2004
3  Thank Ben H
Reviewed 14 August 2003

Friendly staff, clean room... difficult to find the hotel in redding though...

3  Thank Coastal1000