“What.a.dump” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
Redondo Beach, California
“What.a.dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

Don't even think of staying here. The place smells bad and looks as if it hasn't had a good cleaning since 1962. It might be cheap, but unless you are absolutely desperate, stay somewhere else. Really. It's that bad.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Echo711

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Caloundra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

My wife and I travel for 11 months of the year and this motel rates as BY FAR the worst we have ever stayed in. Do not ever stay here. The room was disgusting. It was only because we were late and could not find anywhere else that we stayed here. Sleeping in the car would have been preferable.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SioDav

Travellers are raving about these Redondo Beach hotels

port saint lucie, fl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Room condition was horrible when we stayed. (room 102) The room suppose to have a jacuzzy but guess what it was broken!!!!! They removed ALL the buttons and it wasn't cleaned.
From the bed to the shower, the carpet was soaking wet. As soon as we took off our shoes, we noticed it right away. We also smell the jasmine smell as soon as we got in. But guess what, that was sprayed to cover the horrible mildew smell which kicked in a couple of hours later. We couldn't slept!!!! We went back to the "office" and ring the bell but no one showed up to help us which forced us to went back to our room 'cause it was very late to go any where else and we already paid for the darn thing.
The white sheets were washed but the comforter weren't. We can smell a very funny odor from the unwashed comforter. There were hairs on the pillows and on top of the bed.
The AC also smell terrible, so don't turn it on, you'll get sick from it.
The furniture were beat up!!!!, but the TV works with lots of unclear channels :)
Bottom line, STAY AWAY!!!!
MOTEL 6 or something similar in the price range would be in much better condition than this place. We will report this hotel to the CA health department because my wife and I both got sick the next morning from inhaling the bad smell from the room.
NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE! SNEAKY LANDLORD.

Room Tip: Stay away from Moonlite Inn in Redondo Beach!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daron N
Rancho Cucamonga, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

This place was dirty, smelled bad, the refrigerator would not turn on and smelled really bad-we stayed here because my husband was working night shift around the corner so I met him with the kids but will NEVER stay here again!!! The guy charged us the rate for a jacuzzi tub, which my young daughter wanted, but didn't give us that room and then denied that was the rate...pulled it up on the internet on their site in their room. Couldn't wait to leave. We felt itchy the whole time we were there. It smelled like someone kept pets in the room and they never cleaned the carpets-but worse. Ice maker is in parking lot and they charge 75 cents, didn't bring hair dryer because their web site says they have one, but no hair dryer, no coffee pot, everything on their web site is fiction.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Dnm2222
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

I spent 3 nights there last July with my family at the end of our trip. Location is very nice, just a few blocks away from the most beautiful part of Redondo Beach. It is more a motel than a hotel with just a parking area, no breakfast and no pool. It is very simple not so beautiful, my first impression was to run away quickly, but my family convinced me that it wasn’t so bad and that we wouldn’t find anything better in the middle of high summer. So we decided to stay. It wasn’t so bad at all; the manager is an Indian guy, very kind and helpful. But this hotel was one of the weirdest and funny experiences I ever had. Room is OK with a TV, a fridge and a microwave but what surprised me mostly is that it is the only hotel I ever stayed in USA that doesn’t have anything of the most basic and mandatory things you always find in every hotel: No coffee maker, no hair dryer and not even a tissue box! We woke up in the second day and went to the beach, when we’re back, at lunch time, beds were still not made up. I asked the manager about that and he looked at me with surprise because I didn’t advise him that I want it! As far as I know, making up the beds is a regular task for every hotel…
One of the most funny and annoying things I found there is that it is an energy saving hotel: Light in the hall between the entrance and bathroom doors is controlled by movement. Bathroom light too. It means that when you pass in front of the sensor, light goes on automatically. At first, it seems to be a nice thing but they are a real pain: Someone who woke up in the dark to visit the bathroom at night made the hall light to turn on, waking up everybody. Next night I solved the problem covering the sensor with electrical tape. But bathroom light was the most annoying, as it turned off automatically after five minutes without movement, just when you are taking a shower. As bathroom has no windows, you are left in a complete darkness, having to walk naked and wet in a slippery floor until you’re close to that damn automatic switch – that is in the opposite side of the bathroom - to have the light turned on again. But just for the next five minutes! That’s a really bad manner to save energy!
That's why I don’t recommend this hotel but I really recommend you to stay around if you come to LA because Redondo Beach is beautiful and not so far from LAX airport nor LA downtown.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ClaudioCFTV
Arroyo Grande, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Do not go to this place, I went based on the reviews I read and they are not true..... This place was nothing like what you hear it is. Other than the location NOT GOOD. Stay at Motel 6 it is cleaner. No Clock in Room, lamp shades off dirty walls etc.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tim B
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Coming in to the LA area after a day of driving we were unable to find a suitable hotel in the area until we came upon the Moonlite Inn and with everyone being tired and crabby decided to take a chance. At first glance it's nothing special to look at, with the courtyard serving as a (rather tight) parking lot and $85 per night seems a little high, but the clerk put up a no vacancy sign as soon as I got my key so no trouble filling the place it would seem.
Two observations; The check in guy spoke through a window like we were in downtown Detroit as opposed to an upscale LA suburb near the beach, and also took a photocopy of my driver's license which struck me as overkill considering they have my VISA number, but he promised to destroy the copy upon check out. So we checked in, did the bed bug check (pass) and proceeded to sleep. The beds were comfortable, and the AC were large LG units that appeared new and worked well, though there was some other mechanical HVAC noise intermittently through the night, but not enough to keep me up.
The decor is well kept with a few water stains on the ceiling but nothing major, the bathrooms were nicely tiled and the furniture was old but functional enough. But the bar fridge was geriatric and loud as hell, overdue for a replacement I'd say.
On the technical side of things I can report that the WI-FI strength was good.
Overall the Moonlite Inn is a pretty good place to crash and quite close to the beach, but $85 is a little high for a budget two star motel IMHO.
If in a pinch though I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family