“Stinky Room, Very Dated, Never again”

Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I reserved this hotel through Priceline while bidding on a 3.5 star. This hotel is definitely not a 3.5 star. We had just checked out of a 4 star in Glendale to spend 2 nights on the beach in Redondo. I was very sad upon arrival to our room to have left our nice room in Glendale for it. We were hit by a strong, gross odor upon walking into our room and I immediately called the front desk. They didn't have any other rooms to move us to and offered to send up an "ionizer" but we'd have to leave the room for 1.5 hours. No problem since it was dinner time. When we got back it still smelled bad. The front desk people were nice but this place is just not good if you are used to nicer places. Next time we'll go for the 4 star across the street.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LindseyTX
Michael P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

My apologies for the odor in your room, and sorry that we did not measure up to your expectations. We normally offer the option of changing rooms when guests are unhappy with their accommodations. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future, especially since we are renovating all the rooms starting in September this year.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,260)

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I just returned from my first time to the LA area. I'm here to tell you that the hotel staff will do EVERYTHING In Their Power to make your stay a delightful one! The lobby is spacious, regal and quite lovely. Tho' the rooms are aesthetically a bit 'dated'... DO NOT let that hold you back. As I was told come this fall (Sept. 2012) the hotel is planning a major room renovation and upgrade. And aesthetics is the ONLY reason why I did not give them five stars. The staff... their demeanor, their professionalism and genuine kindness for each individual staying there... if I could have I'd have given them TEN STARS! Case in point: There was a minor issue with the balcony furniture of the room I was initially booked into... OMG! Miguel at the front desk, felt SO BAD, that he upgraded me to a suite for the same price just because he was truly sorry about the patio furniture issues I brought to his attention! (WHO DOES THAT THESE DAYS!!!??!) And Maria, the Concierge she will make you feel like family. Anything she can do to make your stay just as you desire it to be... it will be done. The location is wonderful. You are literally right across the street from the Marina and the ocean is just beyond! Many things to do and see in that area of Redondo Beach. Take an early morning swim or jacuzz off the 2nd floor pool area... hit Gold's Gym (complimentary!) 1/2 block from the hotel... Also, take full advantage of the 'Body Etc.' Spa in-house..! I did. I had a pedicure, but wished I would have done the hot stones massage, or more! The staff was Wonderful and treated me like a Goddess with hot tea, fruit and cookies! The 'Aaaahhhh Factor' is Alive and Well at Body, Etc.!
Finally... I found myself having to cut my vacation short due to some issues back home, and the hotel was not only gracious, and understanding, but discounted my room charges beyond what I even expected... and without missing a beat! (Thank You Stephen!)
All in All... this hotel is at least a 4-star... and once the renovations are done... a '5' will be a given! The staff ... all who I came in contact with...were All TENS in my book! I would return to the Crowne Plaza at the Redondo Beach Marina without hesitation! Go walking... Go Biking (complimentary from the hotel!!) Go down to the Marina and just soak in all that Southern California has to offer. Indulge at their on-site restaurant 'Splash' or be a bit naughty and walk the 2 blocks to the Cheesecake Factory Restaurant. Anyway you slice it... This Hotel is truly a Slice of Heaven!!

Room Tip: I thought it initially was about 'the view'... it's not. It's about the room. Go f...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Sylver S

What a wonderful review! I want to let you write our sales collateral. Seriously, I am so delighted to hear your comments regarding Miguel, Maria Elena, the spa staff, and Stephen. I am going to present each one of them with our "Delivering On The Promise" award due to your mentioning them.
I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Great location - The hotel is right across from beach and walking distancee to some nice restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly. We were not pleased to discover there was an added expensive fee for parking and internet when many other nearby hotels offered the same services for no fee.

The room was quiet and we were able to enjoy a good nights sleep.

I would stay at the hotel again, but I would consider the extra service fees when ccomparing nearby hotels.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank dinnerguest
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear dinnerguest,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the great location of our hotel as well as our comfortable room accommodations. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your comments regarding our parking charges and wish to thank you for your feedback. We always welcome any opportunity to improve.

Connie D

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed the last 4 days of April, and this is not a bad hotel, it is in a decent location, the room average,was not in it much! had a view of the roof, but better than seeing the power station with 4 massive chimneys in view. Not far from airport or the beach. Nothing to complain about, maybe reception staff could smile and greet you.(customer Service). Also the pool area was really nice and clean as well.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear Angela W,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have addressed the mater with the Front Desk staff in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Brenda J.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Dirty, old, broken..a real dump.

We had three rooms in conjunction with a family event in the ballroom. The rooms were just awful. Everything was dated, dirty and barely working. We were assured the floor and the rooms were non-smoking but the rooms reeked of smoke and there was a sign on the back on the door which designated the room as a smoking room. We spoke with the manager (who fought us on the fact that there was a sign to this effect) and who’s only retort to our complaints were, we are undergoing a complete renovation in June we hope you’ll join us after.

One issue with the manager's suggestion, we were here as paying guests now, before the renovation.

Restaurant was overpriced for breakfast. Limited quality and options for $22+ tip and tax.

Pass this hotel by.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

Dear busdevoffice,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I purchased the supposedly 3start + hotel through priceline.com, huge dissapointment.
Rating it a three star hotel is a stretch, for the same price I could have selected a much better hotel of my choosing or direct with the hotel in lieu of priceline.com. Parking is $27 additional a night and wifi is also a charge. This place is run down and old, and for the same charge gotten a hotel in better condition.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Angear77,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. After reading numerous reviews, I was really worried about "winning" this hotel on Priceline. Once we arrived, it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews made it seem. Here's the scoop...

The good: This hotel is close to everything! Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Santa Monica, LAX, just to name a few. I read in multiple reviews that Polly's was the place to eat, we did and it was AH-MAZE-ING! Great place for breakfast on the pier. We had the crab and cheese omelet, guacamole omelet, and the pigs in a blanket. All good choices! We had dinner at Tony's, which was good, we decided the next night to eat at Bubba Gump in Santa Monica, save your money and go there. If you want some good pizza try Fresh Brothers. The beds are really comfy and our room was cleaned every single day.

The bad: Redondo is a very sleepy town. If you are looking for a good night life place, this isn't the place to be. Some of the reviews I read said that their Priceline purchase was not mentioned at check in, ours was! It was made clear to us that since we booked of Priceline, we would get whatever room was left. Although we did get a choice between a smoking, view room or a non-smoking room with no view. We opted for the non-smoking room because the lady helping us did say that the rooms smelt like smoke. I am totally cool with booking off Priceline, who cares, but don't make us feel like a second-class citizen for not booking off the hotel website. Myself and my boyfriend, who I traveled here with, both, have college degrees and well-paying jobs for our age (23 and 25), we just like bargains! BEWARE: They make you pay a deposit once you are there. 50 - 100 dollars per night. They told us that if we put it on debit card, it could take 5-8 days to get back, 2-3 on credit card. The hotel should really mention this in the booking process. Like I said, both me and my boyfriend have well-paying jobs and plenty of money, but what about the people who are on a tight budget and then they have this fee thrown at them? We stayed in a room with a refrigerator that sounded like it was about to take off, so loud!!! We ended up having to unplug the fridge just so we could sleep. The A/C was loud too!

The ugly: Yes the rooms are dated, yes the wallpaper is coming off, and yes it smells like cleaner everywhere you go.... We were on the 3rd floor and the door to the closet, where they kept all the cleaners, etc. was constantly open, whether someone was in there or not. There were random cleaning carts in the hallways whenever no one was around nor cleaning any nearby rooms... Very displeasing.

All in all: Would I stay here again? No, not in the condition it is in now. Apparently they are making some renovations soon, so would I stay here again once the renovations are made? Maybe. But then again, maybe it is better to spend the extra money and stay in Santa Monica.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear jpb0143,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review with so many great tips for our hotel and the area. I am glad to see that you commented on what you enjoyed about the hotel as well as what fell below your expectations. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. Your tips and comments will be shared with the appropriate departments for consideration. We always welcome any opportunity to improve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redondo Beach
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn
Residence Inn Los Angeles Redondo Beach

Been to Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina? Share your experiences!