“so disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
Los Angeles
“so disappointed”
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Overall I was very disappointed with my stay. The lobby was beautiful and the staff was somewhat friendly. I made my reservations online and booked a water view room, the only view I had was of the street. It was very nosy. There was no remote control for the tv in the room, I had to call and request one. One of the lamps was not working. The furniture was very old and damaged. There was a dirty/rust spot in the bathtub/shower. The chairs were old and dirty. I wish I would have brought my camera with me so I could provide pictures. The reception on the TV was terrible and all the channels did not work for the whole stay. There were hours when channels like the Disney channel and HBO did not work. It was very stuffy in the room.

• Liked — The lobby
  • Disliked — The room, view, noise
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank angel90008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
Glasgow
Reviewed 28 December 2008

This hotel is in a great location in Redondo Beach area but also a five minute walk from Hermosa Beach. It is lovely being able to walk along the promenade of Hermosa and just people watch the various surfers, dog walkers, joggers and roller skaters.
The hotel itself is clean and the rooms nicely decorated with comfortable beds. I have always found the staff to be very polite and courteous.
There is a nice pool area and hot tub. I can't comment on the restaurant or bar of the hotel as we have always gone out. There are so many nice places within walking distance and with the lovely California weather who wants to stay in their hotel? You have a beach and marina on your doorstep.
Redondo is a residential area and I have always felt very safe walking around here.
I have no complaints about this hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
ccity
Reviewed 26 December 2008

Stayed at this hotel 12-23-25,2008 great location and very large room. Clean room and a great view of the ocean we had. Cheesecake factory and Ruby nearby . Ruby has great breakfast.
Highly recommend. We did not have a car. Parking was $20 or $22 a night.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
north carolina
Reviewed 29 October 2008

This hotel was pretty nice! I was worried after reading the reviews here. The air conditioning situation did kind of suck. It WAS really stuffy in the room at all times BUT I didn't notice that the air went off!!? There WAS a sensor but it pretty much stayed on all the time! The staff was very curteous and nice! Especially the concierge. I dealt with Jesse alot and he was GREAT! Also there was a lady that worked the conceirge desk during the day and she was great too (but i didnt get her name)! DO NOT go to the spa. It is a waste of time and money and it didn't seem very clean to me. I have had better pedicures ANYwhere than there. Overall, the room was nice. It DID reek of smoke in the bathroom the entire time we were there (we had a non-smoking room) and we didn't smoke. Not sure where that was coming from but YUCK! The beds were GREAT! Nice and fluffy, etc! DO NOT waste your time going to Splash (the restaurant inside the hotel). It was VERY overrated and VERY expensive for what it was. There are much better restaurants within walking distance at half the price! I would reccomend staying here! I enjoyed my time! It definitely is NOT a 5 star like one other person noted on here but it IS a very nice 3!!!!

• Liked — The beds!
  • Disliked — The smoke smell in the room.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank julz123
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed 14 October 2008

We booked through Hotwire. Once booked we found our stay would be at The Crown Plaza. The hotel has a beautiful lobby, with marble floors. The staff are very coutious and helpfull. They have an onsite restaurant and longe that serve excelent food. The location is key since they are just accross the street from King Harbour which has several good reataurants and night spots, as well as sport fishing, whale watching, and a great high speed boat trip. Try Tony's on the Peir. There are two.(known to locals as) "Old and New". both are good but old is the best. The "Old Tony's" has a Crows Nest, just a small place upstairs. Awsome vies and very romantic at sunset.

• Liked — The location to the beach and the staff
  • Disliked — the back side rooms non ocean were very noisy and poor
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank sushiboy202
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 30 September 2008

This Crowne Plaza was our home base for us and a number of our family and friends while we were in town for our daughter's wedding. This involved 9 rooms with stays ranging from 1 to 4 nights. We preface the above info because we think it's meaningful that we heard NOT one complaint, even from family members who would not worry about sharing their feelings! However, we can only write here about our experience.

From our first conversation with Joseph Russo, who heads up the hotel's rooms division, to our check-out on the last day, we were treated with warm and welcoming professionalism. Our questions and requests were answered promptly, whether it was asking for directions from the airport or another foam pillow in the room. Our room was shiny clean, well furbished in the newest hotel style with great linens and duvets, etc., and, most important after a long trip, the rooms were ready when we arrived. We do recommend asking for a higher floor because the Redondo Beach area is very pretty to look out on. Also the hotel self-parking is a very short walk up a hotel corridor, so not much need to pay the valet charge.

In all honesty, because of what previous reviewers had written, we were a little concerned about staying here. However, we encountered just about none of those problems. The rooms were spacious, clean and kept clean during our stay. Our bathroom was updated and had all the bells and whistles. The corridors had nice carpeting and again, were clean. As everyone does seem to agree about, the lobby is gorgeous. Also several of our friends used Gold's Gym and loved it. A few of us also had several services in the hotel spa and all were unanimous: forget it. None of us ate in the hotel because there are too many good restaurants just steps away.

We don't know what the official "star" count or level is for this hotel. We can tell you that our stay was of a 5-star variety. No, it's not a brand new building or brand new anything, rather a very respectable, updated, conscientious effort, staffed by caring professionals (especially Joseph Russo and his team), who worked hard to make our stay a comfortable, even memorable, experience. It was.

• Liked — room quality and hotel location
  • Disliked — spa
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
ca
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and some of the lower end hostels in the world. So I generally have a high tolerance for what I expect from accommodations. I have read the reviews of this hotel, most of them being good, and discounted the “whiners” posting bad reviews.

I have never written a bad review of a hotel, and generally eschew writing bad reviews of anything. I was taught, “If you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say anything.” I have generally followed that advice, but I have to make an exception here.

Everything that anyone says is good about this hotel is true. It’s in a good location – so is the Best Western, just across the street with free wifi. The staff is friendly. I didn’t eat in the restaurant, and you do need to go outside to get there. But at $270 rack rate, I would expect the room to be comfortable. Thankfully, we received enough discounts to make it comparable to the Best Western across the street.

“What ruined my stay was the motion sensor Inncom thermostat that unless it sees motion turns the air conditioning off as several others have stated having a hot room.” This says it all. As long as you keep moving between the room and the bathroom, past the motion sensor, the air conditioner stays on. It is set to 70 degrees, which is fine for me, as that is generally where I set a hotel air conditioner when I go to bed. However, once you stop moving past the sensor, it turns off completely – like when you go to sleep. I am the type who can and will sleep through anything. Not here. We arrived late and retired around 1:30 am. By 6:15 am, it was 85 degrees in the room and stuffy. This was after I had awoken several times and got up to turn down the thermostat!

Seriously, 85 degrees and less than 4-1/2 hours of sleep is not my idea of a vacation; on the other hand, we got up and out early. The second night, we found the sensor on the sliding glass door. Did I mention that if you open the sliding glass door that has no screen, it turns off the air conditioner? I can understand that if the air conditioner stayed on if one didn’t stand in front of the sensor waving one’s hand, but it doesn’t.

So here’s the E-ticket. Push in the sensor on the sliding glass door with folded up paper. Set the fan on the air conditioner to low instead of auto. Leave the sliding glass door open while you sleep. It was 68 degrees the next morning, and we only had one moth in the room due to the lack of screen door. I think it is too close to the coast to breed mosquitoes, so you should be fine. Don’t get the bigger room at the corner, as the generator is on the first floor and goes off every half hour. This would be fine if you didn’t leave the door open, but if you need it cooler that 85 degrees to sleep, you will need the door open.

Other than the room temperature, a very nice hotel. Would recommend it for people who are always cold.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Room temperature and thermostat
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles/Redondo Beach
Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn

Been to Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina? Share your experiences!