“What a great weekend getaway!”

The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
PHX
“What a great weekend getaway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

My wife and I decided to have a quick weekend getaway and chose to stay at the Portofino Hotel and Yacht Club. I was extremely pleased right from the start. Upon our arrival and check-in, the staff was extremely courteous, professional and most importantly, competent. We were checked into the hotel and in our room within about 5 minutes. Our experience with the staff stayed the same for the remainder of our stay.
We had a "marina view" room which was spacious and very appropriately decorated. The in-room amenities were very nice, to include above average toiletries. The bedding and pillows were perfect and we both slept very well. The balcony on our room was very nice, as well, with enough room for two chairs and a small table. The only suggestion for improvement I can make is to add ice machines on each floor. They only had one ice machine in the lobby area. One of the best amenities I have ever encountered at any hotel was the complimentary bicycles this hotel provides to its guests. We rode our bikes along "the strand" for about 10 miles. What a fantastic way to spend the day if you’re staying at this hotel. You seem to get a true sense of the Southern California beach experience and lifestyle. This hotel is perfectly situated near dozens of restaurants within easy walking distance along the Redondo Beach pier. My every expectation was exceeded by this hotel. What a great place to spend a nice weekend and decompress.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joefromphx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Thai first
Pittsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

I went to visit family in L.A. and my daughter found this charming place for me. The staff was outstanding. They were friendly and helpful. Even the cleaning staff was engaging (and every inch of the place was spotless). After three nights on the marina side, I moved to the ocean side and it was worth it. Gorgeous view...barking seals.
If you want a special treat, book the suite with a two sided fireplace, four poster bed, two flat-screen TVs, and French soaking tub.
The lobby was so pretty that I went down there a couple of times and read for a while. Too bad they've closed the bar...it's a gorgeous spot.
But it was the delightful staff that made my stay so wonderful.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
Northridge, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

My husband and 7-year old son wanted a sun-filled get away during spring break but with current economic climate, we opted to stay locally. I was told that all Marina side rooms had a view of the marina. However, we were told different when we arrived so we ended up upgrading (for additional $50 per night) for an ocean view room. We were glad we did. The balcony was great for boat watching, sunsets & barking back at the sealions. Baleen (the hotel restaurant) offered in-room breakfast service which matched their menu pricing (pleasantly surprised that toast and jelly were not $20!). I had crab benedict for 2 straight days, and I'm still craving it. The hotel offered complimentary use of beach bikes, which was awesome. We biked it to the pier, down the boardwalk, parked the bikes (they provided locks and helmets) while we took a boat ride. We biked everywhere then met a lot of hotel guests in the heated pool. We knew of the DVD player in the room so we came prepared with 3 or 4 DVDs when we retired for the evening. The staff was great and very helpful. The location was excellent. Accolades to the chefs of Baleen's. Had such a good time that the $18 per day parking fee was all worth-it. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Copper Canyon, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

Nice Clean Hotel, Good Service. However, we were on the first floor limited views and that is what we were looking for. Disapointed that after we checking in we were told that there was a $18 parking fee. I think this should have been quoted with the rate.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Baumbros29
Chorley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

Fantastic sea views, try and ensure you have a sea view not a harbor view unless you like refineries. Small rooms, and watch out for the added on charges, they even tried to charge extra for towels that we had taken to their swimming pool.
Small swimming pool and I mean small - I have seen bigger backyard pools.
My main gripe is the staff, ask a question and get different answers all the time - It was our first time in LA and we tried to get information about what's on, where to go and even take advantage of there own tours was an exercise in extracting as much money out of you as possible and without being discrete.
Oh and I even got charged for a complimentary cup of coffee.

Its a shame, because with a bit of attention to guests this place could become fantastic.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mailman_8
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

This is a lovely hotel in a wonderful part of LA. I had a marina view room, and it was delightful. The rooms are not ultra modern, but they are extremely comfortable and cozy. The public areas are well appointed and have beautiful views of the Pacific. Other than the hotel restaurant (which is a bit pricey) and a nearby Joe's Crab Shack, the closest restaurants are a bit of a hike, but the walk is along well-maintained sidewalks next to the marina. If you like seafood, be sure to try Captain Kidd's (the closest off-property restaurant). The Portofino staff is wonderful, and the hotel offers free use of bicycles. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Wedgewood
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

Firstly, I have to say that I love Redondo Beach. It is a quiet beach town, 20 minutes from downtown LA. There actually is not that much to do or see in Redondo Beach itself, other than the amazing marina and it's restaurants, and of course the beach. The area just has a certain relaxed charm about it though, very different to the rest of LA which is in your face and always on the go. Redondo Beach also sits next to the equally quaint, and slightly busier, Hermosa Beach - only 10 minutes walk away along the seafront.
There actually do not seem to be many options when it comes to choosing a hotel in Redondo Beach. When I saw the Portofino with its unique style and location on the end of the marina wall, I knew that was where I wanted to stay. I have stayed in rooms on both sides of the hotel. The seaview side offers incredible views out to sea. I have read other people complaining about the sealions, but I personally found this to add another unique point to my stay there, and did not find them loud enough to disturb me. The marina side offers equally impressive views overlooking the many boats docked in the marina. The rooms are bright and nicely decorated having recently been rennovated.
The Portofino does lack in facilities somewhat. It has a very small outdoor swimming pool and jacuzzi, although there were usually less than a handful of people using these at any one time. We tried the Baleen restaurant on 2 occassions, but did not find it anything special, and opted to eat in the many other restaurants around the marina on the other days.
There is a kayak hire place next to the hotel, and that was great fun taking a kayak out into the harbour - just watch out for the low swooping large gulls! The sealions are also friendly enough to go up close to.
I have now stayed at the Portofino on 3 seperate occassions and would highly recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing stay in LA, close to the beach, but also close enough to downtown.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
BEST WESTERN PLUS Redondo Beach Inn
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel? Share your experiences!