“Not At All Like The Website”
Review of Dean Creek Resort

Dean Creek Resort
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We researched our holiday plans extensively. Based on the website for Dean Creek we thought we found a great RV park near the Redwoods. The pictures are of the resort but they must have been taken at least a decade ago. We stayed for 4 nights as we had reserved and paid or we would have moved on. In our 4 days we had hot showers 1 day, there was hot water in the sinks but not in the showers. It did not matter what time of day you tried to have a shower, morning, mid day or evening. When we told management of the issue on day 3, she said she would have her husband look into it; next day there still was no hot water. In talking to someone who stayed there, hot showers were really rare. The bathrooms are old and often had no paper towel and had no hand dryers. In the 4 days we never saw the bathrooms/showers in clean and wondered if anyone ever came to clean them. The basketball hoop was bent. The ping pong table was immediately behind someone's RV. The mini golf is run down and in need of repairs. The pool is dirty, it always has floating leaves and bugs, no matter what time of day you go to enjoy it. To have the jets on in the tub you need to go to the office and have them turn them on but really it was not worth it as only 1 jet worked. We heard another visitor say something about this to management and she replied that she could just close the hot tub. There is no up keep or pride of ownership at this resort. There is also no one keeping the grounds secure. We saw people drive in cars, sit in the visitor parking, roll up joints and enjoy their drugs. They sometimes hung around the site and others would do their business and then leave. Majority of the camping units around us stayed here long term but these are not the people you want your children to be around. A journey back to the 60's would be a good way to describe the experience. This is not a place we felt comfortable allowing our young teenagers to be on their own around the park. One of us went to the bathrooms, activities or pool with them. We found management to lack customer service and did not want to accept any criticism of the resort. This was a total disappointment, the worst place we stayed in our 3 week vacation and the most expensive. Our advice: Drive On!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank FamilyHolidaySeeker
There are newer reviews for Dean Creek Resort

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Nothing I've read sounds like the experience we had driving through Dean Creek Campground two days ago. I made reservations ahead of time and was looking forward to some tent camping with my family, enjoying the river, pool, mini golf, etc. The management was very nice, the store was well-stocked, the pool looked refreshing. However, when we drove through the campground to find our site it was like driving through another world. I don't want to sound like a snob, but we did not fit in there. It looked like a homeless encampment for young tweakers and a place for people to live in their trailers year-round. I did not feel comfortable having my daughter there, and we were given strange looks and comments by everyone seeing us drive through in our family car. I don't know if things have changed with the place since the last reviews, but I just thought I'd warn people ahead of time if you're looking for a nice family place, the campground area is not it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Kristina A
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We didn't want to leave the redwood forest and spend the time to drive back and forth. The visitors center in Humboldt gave us several recommendations. But, as the night drew closer, the motels got filled up as we traveled down the road. We ended up at Dean's Creek Motel and Resort. We stayed in the motel. There are cabins for rent and RV hook ups. This is a great place to stay so we can get back to hiking the redwood forest trails in the morning without camping. There's a small refrigerator in the room and that was enough to store the breakfast items we bought in Redway. Behind the resort is Eel River. The lady at the front desk told us how to get to the swimming hole. It was a fantastic experience. Really really cool and convenient. Sitting on the river rocks, climbing the boulders and then swimming in the river. We brought out our fishing rods as well just for fun. We practiced casting our lines.

The staff was friendly. The bed was comfortable. The blankets were not enough, but not everything should be a 5 star experience. The shower was hot and the water pressure fantastic. The TV was new and had great reception. The four of us slept in the two double beds. After a day of hiking in Humboldt Redwoods and seeing Avenue of the Giants, we slept very well. The price... They probably know that they are the last stop for lodgings before leaving the forest.

Room Tip: A lot of travelers bring their dogs. So, check out the rooms to see if you can handle the smell or...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BettyKR
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I drove through Dean Creek resort the night of sept 16th, 2012, looking for a group of friends camping there. I circled the place twice, stopping here and there to see if I could find my friends. After the second time, I sent a text to one and parked, waiting for the reply. Within a couple minutes a truck showed up saying I was parked in there camp site, so I apologized and moved my car. Just then, there was a man outside the passenger winder asking "can I help you?" My bofriend asked if he knew where are our group of friends were (they're in a band) and the man's response was "I don't know but if you come through here again at that speed I'll shout your tired out." Now, i admit, i might have been cruising a bit fast (15 mph?) but slow enough because i stopped a few times as we were looking at the campsites. I replied to the man "Oh. Wow. Ok. We're leaving then." to which he replied "don't you get smart with me I tried to be nice!" my boyfriend told him to calm down, and the man threatened to punch my boyfriend.
We left then, and the next day we found out from our friends (who talked to the man later that night) that his son was waiting in the bushes with an ax.
This man work and maybe even lives at Dean Creek. I would never come back or reccommend this resort until this man is no longer there. The same goes for his ax-wielding son.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Joni M
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Pros:
Kind, knowledgeable, friendly staff
Clean, shaded grounds
Hot tub and pool
Decently stocked frozen and dried goods camp store open 9 to 9
Lovely "glorified camping" cabins.
Possible cons, though we didn't experience these:
Crowded in-season
Smokers

I'm on a cross country trip with a friend, and we needed a place to sleep for one night on the road. Since we're both recent college grads, we're rather broke. We rolled into Dean Creek around 8 pm on a Wednesday night after 6 hours of driving, with no prior research into the resort. Linda, the very sweet woman working the front desk (she and her husband maintain all aspects of the resort while the owner is away) saw that we were too road weary to sleep on the ground, and too broke to sleep in a motel room, and so very graciously offered us a sleeper cabin, at a slightly reduced price to aid our financial situation. Linda was fantastic - super friendly, kind, and very knowledgeable of the attractions around the region. The little camp store in which we met her was stocked with frozen and dry goods, a decent variety of beers, maps and brochures that covered southern Oregon and northern Cali., and the odd traveler's miscellany. She told us that she and her husband are responsible for hauling all the goods to the store from the nearest town once per week. The parts of the resort we visited were clean and well cared for. The hot tub fits 14 people, and was clean when we used it. The ladies' washroom was average, with the addition of a keypad-lock security system (be sure to ask for the combo when you check-in). The cabin we stayed in was brand new, very clean, furnished with two sets of bunk beds, cable TV, mini fridge and microwave, small table/desk, and a set of drawers. It had a nice porch, a picnic table, a grill and a fire ring, and a spigot (don't drink, just wash). It also has A/C and heat, but we didn't use either, so we don't know how well they work. Our site was next to the river access point, and had one other empty site to one side. I can see how it could become crowded in-season (we're at the end of the season). River access traffic might become annoying at this site. Over all, we had a lovely rest at this camp site, and were treated with the best hospitality.

Room Tip: If you're not feeling like tenting, and you can't afford a motel room, the sleeper cabins ar...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Samantha M
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Of the five properties for lodging in the area, this is the ONLY ONE right on the river. Our dogs loved it and we were grateful that they were welcome. We appreciate that the owners are accommodating to try to meet your needs. Very cool that you have your choice of camp site, motel room, or "swanky" cabin! We hope to establish a well priced corporate account with this location so we can stay again!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank TravelIndustryPro
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Our family of 5 camped in a tent for 5 nights. Ok, here is the good: pool, jacuzzi, ping pong, lots of kid activities, shady camp site, very helpful and friendly employees, very close to redwood walking trails. Here is the bad: camp sites/RV sites are VERY close together. Here is the ugly part: the hot water in the shower stalls fluctuate from scalding hot (two of my kids got burned) to freezing cold. You couldn't get a stable temperature for more than 10 seconds no matter what time of the day or night you were showering. The campground does show its age, especially the bathrooms/showers and could definitely be modernized and upgrade the water lines to prevent the temperature fluctuation problems. Our campsite was right next to the river and the bugs were not bad at all. Although there was not much water in the river this late in the summer. We heard coyotes almost every night, sometimes very close to our tent so keep small pets inside and keep food and trash disposed of. All in all we would recommend this campground, especially if you have kids.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank HappyMom-Reno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redway
Benbow Historic Inn
Benbow Historic Inn
#1 of 5 in Garberville
Best Western Plus Humboldt House Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Garberville
The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn

Been to Dean Creek Resort? Share your experiences!