“Poor reception; everything else was good”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Arrived late at night. The man at the front desk seemed unfamiliar with everything. I had a reservation, but it took almost 10 minutes for him to enter the information. He could not validate a room key, either, and called for a security guard to help me open the room. It was ridiculous that I couldn't have a room key. Another lady at the front desk took over this and helped me get a room key that worked. Everything else was great. The room was clean. Breakfast was good. Free parking and free internet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The lobby of the hotel was very nice. Fast check in and friendly staff. Special mention to Dawn at the reception area; one of the friendliest staff i have ever dealt with in the US. It was the most comfortable king bed ever; I had very good sleep. Free wifi connection; not as fast as I want it to be but who am i to complain, it's for FREE. I think it's the first Sofitel property I stayed at with free wifi connection.

Though the room was very nice and clean, the carpet needs some replacement. I don't think shampooing it would make any difference; they simply need to replace it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Most of my hotels come from the somewhat random drop box of "approved by company". Therefore I cringed when I saw my last trip to Silicon Valley had me staying at Sofitel. I realize the cachet of Sofitel is that it is French but that for me is exactly why I do not want to stay there. As a frequent visitor to Paris I have found French hospitality to be an unfathomable oxymoron. Of course the reflex excuse is that I do not speak French. True. But I do speak other languages than English. I normally try to lead with another language and then settle with English; it seems to work a little better. But anyway, back to Redwood City, the only French service inflicted upon the guest was Bon Jour upon check-in and in the morning in the restaurant. Aside from that, the guest is treated well.

Pluses:
+ elegant lobby
+ moderate prices
+ good rooms and beds
+ pleasant area

Minuses:
- slow wifi with no discernible different in performance between normal and "executive" despite teh added cost
- the morning breakfast was not a buffet which means although the food was good it was hyper expensive with each item having a high cost and it was slow, slow, slow. Normally I give myself about 15 minutes to eat a buffet breakfast. The first day after ordering I finally had to just leave money on the table and walk out because the food had not arrived but my departure time had. The other days I allotted 45 minutes to each and that was enough but damn it slow
- hard to get a taxi

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

So I booked this hotel strictly because of it's proximity to the airport. I will say that there are good things about the hotel mainly being: 1- The gym is great 2- the rooms are clean 3-The beds are comfortable.

What irked me about the place is lack of responsiveness from the staff. For example, I wrote them no less than 4 times (with no response) asking the same question prior to my stay. Finally I got an "out of office " message by the manager. In this day and age- how do you not check your email? Especially when my question had to do with a severe allergy-- not a frivolous request.

I see that people seem to feel that the hotel doesn't live up to sofitel standards. I think it absolutely could if there's was strong management. For example, not answering customer emails (and I mean, I even wrote to their dining area and was ignored) is pretty basic.

In addition, at the time I checked in (close to midnight)- I asked the concierge if I could buy contact lens solution. He told me I could walk a couple of miles to get some from somewhere else. I realized he wasn't kidding and I told him I didn't think that was the best solution.

All in all- I do think the hotel is nice and has a lot of potential. Just don't ask for basic things like responses. I literally had to ask for the same thing over and over again from different people until I gave up.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I rate Sofitel as one of the best & most elegant hotel groups and this hotel lived up to expectations. Reception staff were excellent, the room was comfortable and quiet & I loved the pastries & coffees from the cafe. Only disappointing factor was the meals offered at the conference which were uninspiring. But I'll be back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This hotel was the perfect location for my wife and I to stay for our friend's wedding which was just 20 minutes up the hill in the scenic forest. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. It seemed like a great place for a business traveler but we saw some families as well. I believe people can easily access the bart train to get into the city. It is outside of the city.

Room Tip: There is a burger king up the road if you want a quick bite outside of the hotel :)