“Beautiful hotel with problems”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. The property is very nice. However we had an overall bad experience there.
We had a junior suite which was very comfortable and very nice. However we could hear every word the couple in the room next door said. They were up very early and stayed up very late and were very chatty. Something needs to be soon with sound proofing the rooms.
The day before we checked out there was a fire alarm and hotel evacuation. We had to stay outside the hotel for about an hour and half. When we were allowed back in the hotel we had to wait in line for about another 45 minutes to get an elevator. Nothing was ever explained to us as to why the place was evacuated and why all the fire trucks and police were there. Obviously there was no fire. When the alarm sounded and everyone was told to leave we had just been served breakfast. When we got back in to the hotel the breakfasts were cold and not edible. We were still charged $44+ for the 2 breakfasts until we complained and then were given credit.
This disrupted our whole day and was a great inconvenience. We feel the hotel should have done something to compensate their guests for a problem that was entirely the hotels fault.
Buzz and Dawn Basini

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com or lInda.eid@sofitel.com

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed at the Sofitel for two weeks on a working trip to Stanford. I am now a genuine fan of this hotel and all the great staff who busied themselves making me very welcome and cared for.

Check in achieved the gold standard of absolute precision with my booking details and balanced this with a warm personal style that immediately said "relax you've come to the right place"! This is seldom achieved in my experience of other hotels.

Room Bed Bath are all top notch with quite luxury on tap. There is a concerted effort to make your stay special. It is amazing that the Sofitel team do this with such grace given the scale of the operation. Well done Sofitel San Fran. You are "Magnifique".

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room with a lagoon view for something extra special
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Bonjour

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

First of all, we booked our room through the internet and specified 4 people. We were given options for 4 people. We chose the suite as we thought we would have ample room. When we got there, The suite only had one bed! We inquired as to accomodations for the others and we were told the hotel was full and that they would bring us pillows and blankets for the floor! My husband just about had a heart attack! For the money we were paying... the floor!! They said they couldn't even bring a rollaway as they were all used. I showed the desk my confirmation for 4 people.... they didn't care! Sunday morning at 8am we were forced outside for an hour and a half because the sprinklers went off and the fire alarms sounded. We couldn't even get a brunch reservation as they were upside down.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. I understand how fustrating it could have been to have booked a room for four people and there wa sonly one bed available

If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com or Linda.eid@sofitel.com

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our family stayed at Sofitel for Maker Faire this year. We chose this hotel based on proximity and rating and we were thrilled with the choice. The location was great for both the event itself and as a jumping off point for excursions to San Francisco.

The nuances of French culture woven throughout the experience really made us feel like we were at a much more exotic destination. We found the service team at the desk and at the concierge station to be very welcoming and extremely helpful in making recommendations to make our visit all that much more enjoyable.

We really enjoyed the café in the lobby and visited every day during our stay for coffee and pastries. Food available at the hotel via the restaurant onsite as well as via room service was phenomenal. We were traveling with a 3 year old so it was often just easier to get room service so, between us, we really worked our way through the menu. The highlight for me was the burger as it was both a solid portion for the money and it was prepared perfectly to order (medium rare).

While the hotel’s amenities for children were a little light (e.g. really just a pool and your imagination!) there is a brand new playground just a short walk along the lake away at which my little guy had a blast playing with local Redwood Shores kids. My wife used part of our visit to go running and use the workout facilities and she was impressed with both. The neighborhood around this hotel is a very safe area with some interesting things to see. (Oracle stores their America’s Cup sailboat just a block away!)

All-in-all, I will stay at this hotel again to visit Maker Faire or if I have another opportunity to visit this part of the Bay area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here on a recent trip to San Francisco. I was in town visiting family. Easy to get to, great appearance. Parking is a little confusing and not clearly marked as to where you should go if you are a guest. I have to agree with one of the other guest reviews that the front desk staff was less than stellar, granted I was checking in after midnight, but still being charged the full rate. After checking in I went to park the car and was bringing two suitcases in. You would think that the doorman would, I don't know maybe open the DOOR, but no he walked away and left me to wrestle the door open and get my bags in. The room was beautiful and very clean. Feather bed was great and comfy. The view was nice. Very quiet. Great location to stay in. Not far from the city and not far from Palo Alto, Atherton, and San Jose. I would definitely recommend staying here. Great value and you don't have to deal with the front desk but for a minute when you check in. I as there for a few days and then went to Carmel. When I returned to the area I checked back in since I thought it was comfy and the rooms were large and comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank victor g

Reviewed 28 May 2014

nice property with great rooms and on the weekend good prices. we were there while a pipe broke on the fith floor and had to endure accumulation of damages or yet furniture at the entry tp the hall way for two days. no apology from management or effort to move the damaged furniture away from view. i understand accidents but not what the hotel did by leaving the furniture for us to see for two days. additionally multitude of problems with the card readers at the gates. staff is great but management is lacking.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the lake

Bonjour

If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com .

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed at the Sofitel during a recent trip up to San Francisco. Upon arriving, didn’t know where to park, instead saw a parking structure which was paid parking. Garage parking per night is 20.00. I believe valet is 25.00.

Checking in at the front desk, there were two hotel receptionists. As I approached, one walked away, while the other had her head down. No acknowledgement that I was standing there until I approached her. No greeting. I proceeded to tell her my name. Then a traveler’s worse nightmare begins. They didn’t have my reservation. I actually booked this stay via Hotels.com, but Sofitel’s system did not have any indication of my reservation. So I had to forward my Hotels.com e-mail confirmation to Sofitel’s e-mail. After 20 mins, they found my reservation. For my patience and my troubles, I was upgraded to a junior suite. I guess at this point, the receptionist just wanted to get rid of me because she didn’t bother explaining where the elevators where, what was my room number, nor the amenities of the hotel. Even though I was upgraded, I felt the lackluster attitude of the front desk didn’t prove to me that this is a 4 star hotel. I found my room number scribbled on the back of my keycard holder and blindly went looking for the elevators.

Arriving at the 6th floor where my room was, construction was in full swing. Ummm. Is this floor under renovation? I found my room and entered. First impression was that the carpet was stained and it smelled like feet. In the sitting area was an outdated yellow couch (with unknown stains) and lamp fixtures. This was not what I saw in the hotel photos, however, the rest of the room was updated. A nice touch was the 4 pieces of pastry and a bottle of Evian on the table. For me? Nice. Dropped off my bags and went to the bathroom. It was a long drive. What do you know, 3 lovely poo stains under the toilet seat. Gross. I could tell by the hasty putty nail cover-up that this was a renovation rush job. In addition to the poo stain, there was mold on the shower floor. However a plus to the bathroom is that they use Lanvin toiletries. The shampoo and hand soap smells fantastic.

There was a very lovely view of the lake from my room. Nice. Also, the bed was awesome. Feather down makes a good night’s sleep. Or so I thought. At 8:30 am the next morning, I was woken by not the sound of my alarm, but rather a FIRE ALARM. I quickly ran outside, but I didn’t see any smoke. Perhaps a false alarm? Nope, I heard a group of people rampaging towards the stair well. OH NO! I woke up my girlfriend and hurried outside down six flights of stairs in OUR PJ’s. After 15 minutes of waiting and sitting in the cold by the lovely lake, a manager comes out and tells the guests that one of the sprinklers had broken. Any apologies? Nope.

To make up for the crappy morning, I ordered room service. A bit on the pricey side, but that’s expected. They told me my food would arrive in 30 minutes. Guess what? It did. I was impressed. The gentleman who brought our food was courteous. Some nice touches to our breakfast were imported sugar cubes from France. It’s those extra little touches that count.

After breakfast, proceeded to checkout. Guess who I saw? Lucky me. The same receptionist from the day before. No greeting once again. Isn’t it customary to ask somewhere along the lines of “How was your stay?”. Nope. Nothing. She told me the amount charged to my card and if I wanted a receipt. Off we went.

Pros:
- Gorgeous lake view with some rooms
- Lanvin toiletries
- Delightful refreshments (possibly only with junior suites and above)
- Awesome comfortable bed
- Room service
Cons:
- Rude front desk staff
- Room Cleanliness
- Outdated decor

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redwood City
Courtyard Redwood City
Courtyard Redwood City
#11 of 17 in Redwood City
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!