“Good comfort, terrible location”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good comfort, terrible location”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

There is only one reason why you would stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay: you are on business trip and your company has an office located in Redwood City. If it's not the case and you wish to enjoy what San Francisco has to offer, this hotel isn't for you: located too far away from the city, with absolutely nothing within walking distance, this is a business hotel with a lot of comfort and a nice bar, but it stops there.

Sadly, as with many hotels in the USA, the internet access is really slow, which doesn't help when you're trying to work over there. Besides that, it is a good business hotel, not over-delivering but still comfortable.

Green Features: No recycling in the room, no real proof that the hotel is actually doing anything environmentally-friendly.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SnowyBadger
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Spring Hill, KS
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel for the price. The bay view is amazing (request a view of the bay; otherwise you get a view of the office complex).

The room featured a very nice view (5th floor) and was modern, clean and lovely. There was no fridge in the room, although there was a Keurig. We did have trouble with a movie we ordered, but the hotel made it right. Housekeeping did a wonderful job, right down to the folded points on the toilet paper.

We did not swim in the pool because of the outside temperature while we were there, but it looks very nice and there is a nice view from the pool area.

We did not eat at the restaurant, although it looked nice. (On the day we planned to eat breakfast there the fire alarms went off and the entire hotel had to be evacuated for about an hour. Turns out a bride hung her wedding dress on a sprinkler head which caused the sprinklers to go off on the entire wing. Bad news for the hotel...and her wedding.) There is a coffee shop in the hotel which makes a very good latte and has some great pastries. My advice is to stop there on your way out because there is no other place anywhere nearby to get coffee!!

We LOVED this location, although we did have our own rental car because we wanted to visit other areas besides downtown SF. It is in the same complex as the Oracle headquarters just off the highway (but very, very quiet). It does cost $20 per day (NON valet) to park in the hotel's garage, but it was worth it to have our own car.

Incidentally, we were impressed at how well the staff handled the evacuation/smoke alarm issue. They were apologetic, friendly and professional. We learned later that the issue was actually on our own floor but we didn't know it until we left. To me, this means they handled the situation discreetly with minimal disruption to the other guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay on an upper level for a great view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JenniInOz
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I frequently visit the San Francisco bay area and this hotel is always our favorite. We bring our pet, who is welcomed by all the staff and treated well. We went to Half Moon Bay which is only a 20 minute drive from the hotel and enjoyed a pleasant day at the only leash free beach from South San Francisco all the way to Santa Cruz. Also within minutes are many class restaurants and easy access to Hwy 101. An additional feature at the Sofitel is the walkways along the waterways of the San Francisco Bay. The only downside on this trip was the power was shut down one day from 9 am to 4 pm, and without the air ventilation the room became very stuffy and we had to leave.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east get sunny and warm quickly
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, 4 June 2014

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Probably one of the friendliest places I've ever encountered. People in restaurant and bar were genuinely friendly and engaging. Place is well-kept. My room (suite, actually) was in pretty good shape but is close to needing some cosmetic work (which is no big deal). It's dog-friendly, too; they have dog food on the room service menu. Great location on a lagoon. Only complaint is that the windows don't open.

Room Tip: I liked the lagoon view. Also, if you're going to be there more than a couple of nights (I was...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Overall the stay was good. My husband and I traveled with our baby for a wedding. While the Sofitel was one of the hotels w/a group discount, I booked separately to get the online special: automatic upgrade to a suite w/ 2nights over a weekend. Considering the area, I think this hotel is probably ok for business travelers (having traveled on business quite a bit myself), but is NOT a luxury style hotel if you are looking for a great getaway. I agree with other reviewers about the customer service. Here are my picky but hopefully informative insights:

1) The staff was completely apathetic and did not communicate well with each other or guests. We checked in on a Friday and found out that on Saturday the utility company would be doing work and there would not be ANY power. First, the person checking me in almost forgot to tell me. Luckily someone was checking-in beside me and the staff person was telling them, and my staff person overheard and said, right...tomorrow....When I asked about being provided with ice for the baby's food (as I did request a mini fridge to store the baby's food, which would now no longer be working on Saturday), the staff member told me I could go get some at the store, b/c after 9am the ice machines wouldn't be working! Well that is great service! After getting to the room and telling my husband this, we discussed the hot water situation. I called down to the front desk to confirm that the boilers are also electric and there would not be any hot water, and the staff person had to check! How was this not already a frequent question and how was the answer to this question not already provided to the staff?! When I asked for a discount, again they had to check with their manager. And again, why was a contingency plan to deal with discount requests from customers not already evaluated and communicated so that staff could take immediate action? Instead I had to wait 6 hours for a response! (In the end I was not charged for parking, a $25/day fee). Also, as I mentioned we were there for a wedding. The bride and groom also argued for a discount for their guests. They were told that their guests would get a free drink at the bar. On Friday night as people gathered in the bar, the bartender did not know anything about this. Another trip to the front desk, where the staff printed out one drink ticket per room. The groom informed the staff this was not satisfactory as there was more than one guest per room, and there were more guests that were not part of the "group" (like us who booked separately). All in all, their customer service mentality and ability was completely lacking.

2) Its the small details that are sub-par to the Sofitel reputation. The room had obviously been recently updated....on a budget. There were black dry wall screws that probably used to hold tie-backs for the curtains that were not removed or covered over. Not a big deal that you could see black screws on the light wallpaper, but it did catch my eye as SOON as I walked in the room as I thought they were bugs! (they were NOT bugs). The shower door is retrofitted (I'm assuming there used to be a curtain, as the curtain rod is still attached to the ceiling). So there is this cheap metal strip to help it fit, it was flimsy and made an obnoxious snap when the door locked over it (remember I have a sleeping baby to worry about and yes it was that loud). My first towel had a (small) hole in it, my second felt like it had been starched. There was only one robe in the room. There were only two regular coffee keurig pieces (we did ask and receive more - I just would have expected more in a suite, although there were only two coffee cups). Again, these are very nit-picky details, but with the Sofitel reputation (and attitude of the staff) I would not expect these minor details to have been overlooked.

3) Our upgraded suite was larger than I was expecting, a great surprise. It was perfect for our needs. But as another reviewer noted, if we had more than two people, I'm not sure where they would have stayed. All of the couches in the living room area were love seats, not pullout couches (even though there was plenty of room). If you are booking a suite expecting to sleep more than two people, call ahead and confirm the sleeping arrangements!

Again, not a bad stay, just not the level of service I was expecting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Livingston, Montana
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. The property is very nice. However we had an overall bad experience there.
We had a junior suite which was very comfortable and very nice. However we could hear every word the couple in the room next door said. They were up very early and stayed up very late and were very chatty. Something needs to be soon with sound proofing the rooms.
The day before we checked out there was a fire alarm and hotel evacuation. We had to stay outside the hotel for about an hour and half. When we were allowed back in the hotel we had to wait in line for about another 45 minutes to get an elevator. Nothing was ever explained to us as to why the place was evacuated and why all the fire trucks and police were there. Obviously there was no fire. When the alarm sounded and everyone was told to leave we had just been served breakfast. When we got back in to the hotel the breakfasts were cold and not edible. We were still charged $44+ for the 2 breakfasts until we complained and then were given credit.
This disrupted our whole day and was a great inconvenience. We feel the hotel should have done something to compensate their guests for a problem that was entirely the hotels fault.
Buzz and Dawn Basini

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bonjour,

If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com or lInda.eid@sofitel.com

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed at the Sofitel for two weeks on a working trip to Stanford. I am now a genuine fan of this hotel and all the great staff who busied themselves making me very welcome and cared for.

Check in achieved the gold standard of absolute precision with my booking details and balanced this with a warm personal style that immediately said "relax you've come to the right place"! This is seldom achieved in my experience of other hotels.

Room Bed Bath are all top notch with quite luxury on tap. There is a concerted effort to make your stay special. It is amazing that the Sofitel team do this with such grace given the scale of the operation. Well done Sofitel San Fran. You are "Magnifique".

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room with a lagoon view for something extra special
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

#9 of 17 in Redwood City
Pacific Euro Hotel
Pacific Euro Hotel
#6 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!