“Not good”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay on July 22, 2014. We decided to eat at the restaurant in the hotel. This decision ended up being one of my worst dining experiences that I've had in a LONG time (I'm fifty years old). It was actually pretty laughable it was so bad. I'm not usually a person that complains and I consider myself pretty amenable to even the worst of experiences. Our dining experience included extremely slow and inattentive service. We brought up the extremely slow service to the in person in charge in the dining room, whom reacted with really no concern on his part at all. The food, was marginal at best. I had the short ribs which were OK, but the accompanying vegetables and rice were extremely undercooked (to the point that they may have not cooked them at all), which I also brought up to the man in charge.

As for the hotel room, the double bed room was clean and very comfortable, except each double bed only had two down pillows per bed. We had three people in the room, so we had to request two extra pillows. The pillows delivered were the cheapest and most uncomfortable pillows you could find compared to the pillows on the bed. So, not a great experience. If you're reading this, you should go somewhere else. Hotel Sofitel San Franchisco Bay doesn't really care what you think if it's not right. That's the bottom line. Hope this review is helpful to you.

Room Tip: Ask for beds that have the amount of pillows that any double bed should have - 4 (at least). There w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Anne

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your experience at our restaurant did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I would stay here again. We stayed 3 nights. I really liked that this hotel is super clean and that is top priority to me. Interior decor is fabulous; very modern with lots of clean lines. We were so happy that months before our stay we'd requested a mini fridge in our room and extra pillows and when we entered the room we were thrilled to see these 2 items. In other hotels I always have to call down to reception to request yet again something I'd already requested in my initial reservation. Also, within 15 minutes of check in the receptionist called up to the room just to make sure everything was ok. The pool was outdoors which doesn't make much sense for SF weather but its beautiful. No hot tub. Gym is bigger than the average hotel gym. We asked for a lake view in an updated room and we were thrilled they gave this to us. Receptionist said as of last year all the rooms are now updated. The soaps/shampoo/lotion are a substantial size, unlike other hotels single use bottles which was also a treat. The pastries and drinks in the market are overpriced but they were really good so it didn't hurt me too badly. I would recommend the Sofitel to the international traveler, the business person or even a couple celebrating a special event. My only complaint, which is really just a personal preference is that the hotel is so "European" it lacks the laid back California/comfy home feel. Personally, I love high luxury but also want to walk through lobby in flip flops. Also, I wish they offered turn down service and complimentary paper. The hotel is kind of "stuffy" if that makes sense. Everything is in French and then translated to English.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a business trip, generally very decent hotel. Nice reception, dining, bar area and views overlooking a lake. Rooms are average American hotel rooms but decent enough. Good was excellent. Strange though that they make the staff say 'Bonjour' all the time which is kind of fake in California!!!

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife, Dog and I stayed here for a second time as my wife was riding In The Aids/Lifecycle ride for a 3rd year. She likes this place for a variety of reasons, but mostly because it's just a nice place to stay considering she would be sleeping in a tent for 7 nights during the ride. The hotel has great ambiance, clean rooms, a great pool and the hotel is dog friendly. Service is great, Plus the price is great if you can find a deal online. It is about a 20 minute drive to the Cow Palace which is where the race starts, but worth the commute. It's located in a corporate business district and kind of away from the hustle and bustle. We've enjoyed the bar, lunch at the pool, and breakfast was fine, but $20 for bacon and eggs?? There are less expensive options close by. But we've stayed twice, and have enjoyed both are stays. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My best friend and I were in town for a Mastermind Treasure Hunt @ the SF Library. We stayed 2 nights at this Sofitel. Set in an area of hotels, it was more quiet than I expected for a weekend. Lots of business travelers and families. The hotel and our room was quiet and clean. Check in/out was easy. The main lobby is modern and inviting, and I loved that it overlooked the lake. Flowers were In bloom, and lots of birds were on/around the water when we were there, so if you're a nature lover you will enjoy the view. We did not have a water facing room, but this was not a problem as we weren't in the room all that much, except to sleep. If you're going for the view I'd make sure to ask for a room overlooking the water. The staff was friendly. I really enjoyed the cream cheese apricot pastry $4 (I ate this both days for breakfast), and the cappuccino $6 . I actually miss that pastry, it was the BEST I've ever had, and I should know, I eat pastry almost every day for breakfast. FYI, they DO NOT have a continental breakfast available, and their full breakfasts are a bit on the pricey side ($13-20, drink not included). Just one small problem, my friend and I shared a single room, with very comfy double beds. They gave us two hand soaps which my friend and I used separately and put in two soap dishes however, when the maid/s came and cleaned they put both of the hand soaps together so when we returned we couldn't figure out whose soap was whose. It wouldn't have been a problem if they left us some new, clean soap to use, but they didn't, and since I don't like waste I shared the hand soaps with my friend. Just a suggestion, either leave the used soaps alone, or when you move the soaps leave clean ones for use incase you're like me and don't like to share... 4Stars!

Room Tip: There are rooms with a water view, we didn't have one but that was ok, it faced the parking lot...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This place is about 30 mins from downtown SFO. Beautiful place, nice staff, and was clean. The food was okay but very expensive. Usual breakfast is $20 a plate. Beds on the smaller size. I didn't know I was allergic to the feather down comforter they use on the beds. I didn't sleep at all the first night with all the itching. I called and asked they use different sheets and blankets on one of the beds. They changed only the sheets. I ended up stripping the bed and sleeping on towels and called again for a special blanket. Good thing I did. Slept much better. Worth $200+ a night? No.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ChicoGRL

Dear

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I don't know where to start. From the SURPRISE $20.00 per day parking, or cleaning pubic hair out of the bathtub upon arrival at 11pm...or the employees smoking right outside the door, inducing my asthma attacks... ...for the outrageous cost (which on priceline.com, it was suppose to be only $114.00 per night!!!!) One would think you might at least get a free continental breakfast! No, instead, we got an "oh well" feel. DON'T GO HERE!!!!! I'll be posting my experience on Facebook and yelp as well!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet B

Dear

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We have shared your comments with our housekeeping management team to make sure the cleniess of our restrooms is always up to standards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redwood City
#11 of 17 in Redwood City
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, San Carlos, CA
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!