“Friendly and helpful staff but very slow internet”

TownePlace Suites Redwood City Redwood Shores
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
NY
“Friendly and helpful staff but very slow internet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is very clean and well maintained. My only issue was the poor internet connection at the hotel. The internet was not working when I connected my computer and iPad through the room's wireless and wired network connections. I resorted to using the 1 shared computer in the lobby, which was also painfully slow (every time I tried to check in for my flight, the computer rebooted).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank khl5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my daughter who was playing in a soccer tournament. We were greeted with a goodie bag for all the girls on the team ( personalized water bottle, snacks in a bag with our team logo).

We had a lovely room on the third floor overlooking the water. The room was spacious and the kitchen had everything we needed to make simple meals/snacks. The hotel was generally quiet, although we could easily hear the thumping footsteps of the people above us.
The location was good. It was close to the airport, down town San Fran and our tournament.

There is a beautiful walking/running path along the water at the back of the hotel and a big fitness center next door that hotel guests can use for a fee.

I would stay at this hotel again when I am in the San Francisco area

Room Tip: Ask for a water view- upper floor so you don't hear other guests above you.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsSJF
Seville, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

I paid two hundred seventy per night which is very expensive for this type hotel. In Chicago or Dallas this place would be about half that much. Not sure why Redwood City commands this rate. The hotel was fair but nothing special really.

Breakfast is complimentary but pretty awful. The Sara Lee individually wrapped bagels are the worst I've ever tasted. There was no bread. There was no breakfast meat, no bacon or sausage. There were pealed hard boiled eggs in plastic bags. Ewww. Pancakes or waffles would be nice. A choice of breads would be welcome. Some bacon or sausage would be nice. There was cereal, apples, muffins (not very good ones) instant oatmeal, yogurt and that's about it.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank TerryKav61
Herzliya, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

Nice hotel, right near my company's HQ. Very large and spacious rooms, with a small kitchen. Staff is very friendly. The only minus is the breakfast. It contains only wrapped items, very limited variety, disposable cutlery

Room Tip: Buy groceries at the supermarket, add additional items from the free breakfast table, and eat at you...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

In a nutshell, this hotel is located out in Redwood Shores near a number of corporate offices. It is a long stay hotel and many people staying there seem like they have been there a long time and there life went wrong somewhere. The rooms are huge and very cheap for the area; however, I don't think they have been updated since the 80s. When I arrived, I found hotel staff cooking in my first room so had to go back to the front desk to get another room. The second room had a strange musty/damp smell everyday like old gym clothes. I also had to run a tissue around the bathroom floor as it had at least 12 hairs across it.

Location: Near to a number of corporate offices in Redwood Shores. Next door is a large sports complex and there is a large grocery store and restaurants within a 5 minutes walk. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Hillside Mall, about 10 minutes to get to the centre of San Carlos, and about 45 minutes to get in to San Francisco ($100 taxi ride to SF and $150 back).

Room: I stayed in one of the suites which meant you could not hear the hallway doors slam as loudly (they are very loud here). The rooms are large with a sitting area, kitchen, dining area, etc but seem not to have been updated since the 80s. The beds are only double beds with thin blankets and thin pillows. If you get too hot/cold, you can always turn on the very noisy wall ac/heater. There is no safe in the room for valuables. As mentioned, my room had a terrible smell everyday like old gym clothes.

Bathroom: Simple bathrooms. The shower had very good pressure so you could take a descent shower. My bathroom was not too clean with a lot of hairs on the floor.

Hotel Restaurant(s): No restaurant in the hotel. They sell TV dinners and ramen noodles at the front desk. Breakfast is free everyday but limited to things in packets like bagels, muffins, and cereal bars.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ukmagicman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

This place was great. Location was perfect. Hotel was clean and Nice. Breakfast was limited selections but just enough to get your day started. We would definately stay here again. Not really close to alot of shopping or dining but it's okay. Seems to be located in a business district.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Typically, I really enjoy staying at properties that have a kitchen/living room since the rooms are bigger and you just have a little more space to move around. In my case, I would have taken a smaller room some place else over my most recent stay here.

I checked in at 5pm, sick and not feeling well at all and had to wait for a room, something I have not encountered before considering I was checking in AFTER the check in time. After getting to my room, it appeared to only be half cleaned and was loud. You could hear your neighbors, doors slamming, kids running in the hall, people stomping in the room above and my favorite, the cleaning staff walking around with radios on their carts that they leave on in the hall while cleaning the rooms.

I know I may sound ridicilous but if you are coming here after a long day and want to sleep, you just can't here. They do offer continental breakfast which is nice. There is a grocery store and a handful of restaurants in walking distance which is also very convinent. The property was lacking the traditional Marriott feel I had at other properties on my recent trip to CA. If I need to come back to the area, I would probably choose a different location next time!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Fairfield Inn & Suites San Francisco San Carlos
Pacific Euro Hotel
Pacific Euro Hotel
#5 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to TownePlace Suites Redwood City Redwood Shores? Share your experiences!