“Old School”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We have family in Ukiah so we actually come to The Broiler several times a year. This place has been in Redwood Valley for decades. The steak is good and the friend prawns are excellent. The service is very good and everyone is friendly. There is really nothing modern about this place. The dinners all come with salad, which they toss at your table, bread and a side of either fries, baked potato or rice. No fancy a la carte steaks at this place! They have a children/senior menu, which is good for the Grands. Definitely worth the stop.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I travel a lot for work so I happened to be in a Ukiah Hotel. Googled for a steak house, this place popped up. So we try it. It's like a time machine back to 1970. We got there at 5pm, not many there. When we left an hour later the parking lot is rapidly filling up.

Maybe it's just me but when in a steak house I order steak, not lobster or shrimp or fish, I'm there for the steak which I assume they do well.

I had the ribeye medium rare, very good, tender and seasoned just right. Baked potato is good and service prompt. Salad is not that good, blue cheese didn't taste like blue cheese but that's okay because I'm there for the steak.

Low 20s for an entree is a good value.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We travel north and south several times a month and have stopped here especially for Prime Rib on weekends. The salad is good, service is friendly, place is clean. Last night we stopped on a Tuesday. Ordered lobster ($35.) and thought it would be a treat. It was not. No flavor, no taste..
Told the waitress who said, "tell them up front",; told the chef on our way out. Just not a good lobster. We are frequent diners there, so they know our faces at least, but he just shrugged and said, the supplier had been changed.
We will only return for Prime Rib and it has lost its spot as one of our favorite places.

1  Thank Sonne E
Reviewed 12 September 2013

As the song says "after all these years, you're still the one"! Transplanted from San Pablo, The Broiler Steak House has kept the things that made it great - great salad, french bread style dinner rolls, oak wood broiled steaks. The atmosphere is comfortable, the staff friendly and efficient, no stuffy white table cloths here! Full bar and many choices on the menu. Even if you are not fueled by nostalgia, it's a great meal in a friendly restaurant convenient to Hwy 101.

Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was surprisingly good. I needed to get out of the inbred area of Lake County, and since my comfort food is steak and salad I found a place that was highly recommended 20 miles away. Actually my NY strip was an incredibly good steak, not overly seasoned or salted. The salad came in a huge bowl with 4-5 helpings, and the blue cheese dressing was quite tasty. Not a great selection of wine, which is surprising in the middle of wine country. But overall I would highly recommend it if you're traveling through. If you live here then you know it is a great place