“Not bad for Budget...”

Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Having grown up in nearby Hercules, I was actually surprised and delighted to find a fairly decent budget hotel near my hometown where we're limited to non-branded "no-tell motels". When recently visiting family as an adult (on the tail end of a business trip), I hardly wanted to stay at The Gables, where as a kid was a place of ill-repute - and awesome pre-drinking age parties! So Extended Stay America was a nice, welcome find. I've stayed at all levels of hotels and for 1- star, it's alright! Decent kitchen, bed, bath. Aside from the guy in his boxer shorts frying up some eggs with his door open and the other various cooked (ethnic?) foods wafting down the hall, I felt safe and secure as a single traveling woman. I had to smile at the receptionist with the big yellow hoop earrings and bedazzled fingernails...well, I guess that's the local flavor of these parts. I appreciated the free breakfast snacks in the lobby - note that they are merely snacks and you'll want to seek more nutritious fare elsewhere - like in Berkeley ;-)

Room Tip: Higher floors and closer to the elevator - the halls are long.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am pleased to hear that you have found a quality budget hotel near where you wanted to be.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

It is with some trepidation that I approached this one-star win on Priceline.

The location is good. It is on the fringe of Hilltop Mall, a 70's shopping mall. It is between a gated condo complex and a Social Security Administration building, in a dead end street.

A problem arose immediately. They have no no-smoking room for me. What am I to do? I went up and checked the room. It was OK and I took the room.

The good: the room has a
microwave, a toaster, a full-size refrigerator, a coffee maker, dishes, range. It is clean, the bed is comfortable, there is excellent lighting, especially for reading in bed. Wi-fi is included but they try to upsell you with higher bandwidth.

The bad: there are
no hangers. The frig and AC are loud.

When I complained that the light in bathroom not working, it was fixed within 15 minutes.

The staff was helpful with directions.

The maid almost barged in. Apparently her list shows the room as vacant. 30 minutes later I was at the desk and when I identified myself, I received an apology.

Breakfast consisted of coffee (good), tea, hot chocolate, cellophane pastries, and fruit.

What do you expect for $39?

Can people advise on what to do when they have no no-smoking rooms. They have you over a barrel when you are pre-paid through Priceline.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank WWLL
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you found our hotel good value for money.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Two couples and one dog traveling to a family get together stopped at the hotel at 10 a.m. and . both husbands went in to see if there were two rooms available for two nights. Talked to a very friendly clerk, who offered a king bed room on the second floor and a queen bed for the other couple which they reserved. When we returned in the evening for the keys, a different clerk said that the rooms were reserved for one person each room and that it would be five dollars more each room. We protested this, because each husband had reserved for his wife and him and there had been much discussion about family get togethers. The clerk finally said that she would give us the rate we had established. Then we were told that the king bed was not available and that we were put in a queen on lthe first room. We protested the first floor and were put on the second floor. Checking into the room, discovered that it hadn't been cleaned and were given another room. Getting into the bed, we discovered that the blanket only came to the edge of the bed, but at that point we gave up and struggled with staying covered all nightl. Next day we were given a king bed and discovered as we went to sleep that there was not blanket, only a bedspread. The breakfast consisted of coffee and a sweet roll in a cellaphane wrapping and some wilted apples-needless to say, we went out for breakfast. Never again will we stay at an Extended stay America. For a few dollars more we could have had a hairdryer, shampoo, a blanket, a breakfast and no bait and switch fees. Yes, the clerks were friendly and the manager tried to make things right, but in all the hotels that we have stayed in, we have never run into so many problems.

Room Tip: The king bed room had a larger size bathroom soap.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Chloe S
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. I will work with my front desk staff to ensure that they are quoting prices correctly and in the case where they did not, to honor your reserved rate.

I know how upsetting it was that you were not able to get the bed type you had booked and that the bedding was not up to standard. I am retraining staff on our low inventory of certain room types and replacing blankets that have shrunk during laundry process and to ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your helpful critique. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at sfr@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

PROs:
Kitchenette, spacious room, very comfortable new beds. good wifi, good parking, just off East Bay 80 Freeway, now all non-smoking. Richmond-San Rafael bridge is about 15 minutes on the freeway for access to Marin and points north. Desk staff is helpful. Hotwire rate is $58/night including all taxes. Search for hotels in 94806.

CONs: kitchen ware and utensils are very sparse, Does not have daily maid service. About 15 minute freeway drive to Berkeley Oakland area where hotel prices are at last double. Does not have 24 hour desk service.

Room Tip: Hotel has 3 stories. All rooms about the same. Book via Hotwire zip 94806
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to write such an informative review. I'm glad that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and new beds. We are very proud of our recent renovation and are pleased that you are too!

I wanted to also mention that although we do not offer daily housekeeping as a standard, we do have linen exchange at the front desk available 24 hours a day and the option to get daily housekeeping for a nominal fee, in case you need it next time!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

First I arrived like 6 hours early first week in September after a 1800 mile trip and they were able to get me into a room within an hour and it was a room I wanted.
Since I have been here evryone has made me feel very welcome, my room is clean and the bed is great. The grounds are kept clean and it is close to a lot of stores.
I would like to take the time to thank Lisa and ALL of her staff for making me feel like I'm at home again my home away from home for another 40 days or so.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Craig C
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that we made you feel welcome here and were able to create a home away from home for you while traveling. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

Had never stayed at an Extended Stay America, but we were favorably impressed. Grounds were immaculately groomed. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, holding open doors, etc. as we wrestled with luggage, carts, etc. Kitchenette was delightful, and we enjoyed flat screen tv with lots of channels, wifi with good signal strength, coffee & breakfast items available in the mornings in the lobby. Beds were firm but not hard, with nice sheets, and we slept well. Laundry facilities very clean. Lovely view of the garden out our window. Parking lot well lit & monitored; we felt our vehicles were secure. Melba Garcia and Lisa Smith were especially kind to us during our stay and we very much look forward to a return trip :-) Would definitely return & highly recommend!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the parking lot, as the view is lovely!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LINDA H
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, Washington, USA
Reviewed 16 April 2012

arrived 2hrs early. Two rooms were ready, had an hour wait for the third room.
Hotel was under construction, but wasn't too unsightly. Staff was very helpful.
Stay was nice. Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write about your experience at the Extended Stay America – Richmond Hilltop Mall

Our hotel and team is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment of providing a home away from home, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we’d love to see you here again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Courtyard Richmond Berkeley
Days Inn Pinole Berkeley
Holiday Inn Express San Pablo
Hotel Mira Vista
Hotel Mira Vista
#1 of 5 in El Cerrito
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East

Been to Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall? Share your experiences!