“Don't stay here if you have a baby (and aren't traveling with a pack-n-play)”

Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We booked this hotel on Priceline -- when I called the hotel to see if they could set up our room with a crib/pack-n-play, I was told that the hotel does not own any type of crib. Since we are flying from Chicago (with two small children each requiring carseats, strollers, etc.), this leaves us in quite a predicament. Our baby will try to climb out of anything without sides, we don't have enough hands (let alone room in the rental car) to add a pack-n-play, and Priceline can't refund our reservation. I can't imagine that we are the first guests to stay here who need a baby bed! So just be warned if you're planning to stay here with a baby.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank anneperk
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Anne - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I was disheartened to read that our not having a crib available will cause great inconvenience during your upcoming stay. Please accept our apologies as it is a mission of ours to provide a home away from home experience for our guests. To uphold our company's high standards, we will communicate our not having cribs with our third party vendors.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. We look forward to your staying with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sfr2@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We enjoyed staying here for the one night we were there. Everything was very clean, and smelled fresh. They are pet friendly for a small fee. It is very close to the mall area, so finding food was very easy. (In-n-Out!) After staying at Motel 6 the night before, this almost felt like a fancy resort. The kitchen was very basic, but clean and functional. It just seemed very plain compared to the nice colors on the walls in the bedroom and bathroom areas. Maybe easier to keep clean.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Kevin - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the hotel, the proximity to restaurants and that we're pet friendly. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Arrived early to check in but rooms not available yet. Manager agreed to store our bags behind front desk area. Returned to check in. check in was fast and friendly. Manager told us that our bags went to the room. Upon arrival in room, first impression was that room didn't look renovated. worn out beds, kitchen, bathroom, and carpet. refrigerator and ac noisy. Found out someone stole my daughters bag with ALL her soccer uniforms and equipment. The explanation we've got was that the staff delivered our bags to the room while the previous occupants were still checked in and that they took it. HELLO! The reason why were on the trip was because of my daughters Soccer Tournament! All the Manager could tell me was that their insurance company will reimburse me for the stolen bag and items that were in it. WHAT ABOUT THE AIRFARE, COMING FROM HAWAII, RENTAL CAR, ETC......AND MY DAUGHTER NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY IN THE TOURNAMENT! Where's the compensation in that? This place is terrible all the way around! I am still working with the insurance company regarding this matter. Staff and Supervisor (Lead) acted as if I was bothering them and the Manager totally avoided me until the day we checked out.

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriott next door!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Guy O
Reviewed 28 May 2013

It was a good one night stay. Supposedly it's been recently renovated, but the wear and tear are very obvious. I was pleasantly surprised by the non existent musty odor, that usually low end hotels have. The rooms are suites, so they are fully equipped with large refrigerator, stove top and cookware. The only reason why we stayed here was because of our 90lb bull mastiff dog...she's not really welcomed in the nicer middle priced hotels. I was amazed that ESA-Richmond only charged us $25/night for her. Even though it was a good hotel, it is located in a bad part of town...so we will probably not be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Wendy - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that you found your room to be clean and the hotel to be comfortable overall. We truly enjoyed having you and your Mastiff dog visit with us.

I am sorry to read that you are concerned with the area we are located in, but promise that your safety is our first priority. We would never place any guest in harms way, and strive to ensure our hotel is a great place to stay for everyone. With this in mind, hopefully you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

My main complaint is that our non smoking room reeked of smoke and room freshener. The room was obviously a smoking room and the management tried to mask the odor. In fact the whole 3rd floor corridor smelled of cigarette smoke. Overall the room and bathroom was clean but bring your own shampoo. They only provide soap. There were no sheers on the windows so you have to leave the curtains open to let light in. We did not use the kitchen but the stove and refrigerator would be handy for families on a longer stay. The refrigerator was noisy. This might disturb some people but my husband likes to have white noise when he sleeps. The breakfast was instant oatmeal, some danish, apples and oranges, tea and coffee. We did not venture into the Richmond neighborhood the 2 times we stayed here and were told by friends that it was the worst crime city in the bay area. But the immediate vicinity around the hotel looked safe and was surrounded by new condos, a restaurant and a marriot courtyard hotel. The hotel staff was friendly when we checked in.

Room Tip: Double check if you need a non-smoking room. I don't know if they actually have designated rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellinmum
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our friendly staff and the level of cleanliness throughout our hotel; however, we apologize that your room had a smoke odor that was not properly addressed and that the refrigerator was noisy. In response to your feedback, I am working with housekeeping to eliminate the odor and our maintenance staff to repair the refrigerator .

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sfr@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

First I would like to say, under no certain terms, have I anything poor to say in regards to this location. The staff takes their jobs very seriously, and were a joy to deal with.
We had previously scheduled reservations, and arrived according to our plans, to find that the hotel was not prepared for us, due to some network/phone complications, and the staff did not let this affect the fashion in which they dealt with us. they were quick to resolve the concern, making sure to provide each and every member of my staff with a clean and accommodating room. The manager was friendly, up beat and very pleasant, and made the experience enjoyable.
I can say that I felt very welcome, and at numerous times throughout the stay, the staff went above and beyond the norm, to make me feel so.
The hotel was clean, and in great working order, leaving nothing to be desired by my staff, considering the nature of our trip. We will definitely keep this location in mind if ever there is a need to return to this area again. KUDOS!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that our team was able to make your check-in efficient and make you feel welcome. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Having grown up in nearby Hercules, I was actually surprised and delighted to find a fairly decent budget hotel near my hometown where we're limited to non-branded "no-tell motels". When recently visiting family as an adult (on the tail end of a business trip), I hardly wanted to stay at The Gables, where as a kid was a place of ill-repute - and awesome pre-drinking age parties! So Extended Stay America was a nice, welcome find. I've stayed at all levels of hotels and for 1- star, it's alright! Decent kitchen, bed, bath. Aside from the guy in his boxer shorts frying up some eggs with his door open and the other various cooked (ethnic?) foods wafting down the hall, I felt safe and secure as a single traveling woman. I had to smile at the receptionist with the big yellow hoop earrings and bedazzled fingernails...well, I guess that's the local flavor of these parts. I appreciated the free breakfast snacks in the lobby - note that they are merely snacks and you'll want to seek more nutritious fare elsewhere - like in Berkeley ;-)

Room Tip: Higher floors and closer to the elevator - the halls are long.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am pleased to hear that you have found a quality budget hotel near where you wanted to be.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Courtyard Richmond Berkeley
Holiday Inn Express San Pablo
Hotel Mira Vista
Hotel Mira Vista
#1 of 5 in El Cerrito
Days Inn Pinole Berkeley
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville

Been to Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall? Share your experiences!