“For what it was, my price with Priceline was a really good deal”

Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Richmond
Methuen, MA
“For what it was, my price with Priceline was a really good deal”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was a fine place to stay, with frig, microwave, coffeemaker. They do have a breakfast, but it is really sparse. I brought oatmeal so all I needed was hot water. I'd stay again if I needed to be in this area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. Again, thank you for the comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
CLERMONT
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a safe area tucked in a hillside pocket. Easy access to everything. We spent 9 nights Room 324.
Good: Had a stove top, full frig, dishes. Everything you need for a full weeks stay. You do have to ask for everything including towels, shampoo, soap, TP, pots & pans. The carpet seems new but already has dirt spots on it. Flat screen tv & nice little dining table & 2 chairs (chairs also have fluid or food spots)
Not So Good: Yes there is continual smoke smell in hallway. Upon entering the room we found broken nightstand, hair in our shower & sink. Dirty plates in the cupboard, The stove was dirty. The inside of the window was dirty. The phone has not been dusted in months. But the full size picture by my bed has "stuff" on it. Dried fluids? When the light hits it...yikes. I did not report anything but I just cleaned the bathroom & dishes myself.
Would I stay here again or recommend this facility? Maybe. Only if they take care of monitoring their housekeeping staff. It is obvious they are not being held accountable. If it continues to function like it is it will go down hill fast.
HOWEVER: Over all this was a good stay for $95. per night. It suited our purposes as we have been traveling for 5 weeks now & were delighted to cook our own food for a change.

Room Tip: Don't go to Wal Mart opposite the main signal. No veggies to speak of. No meat. No variety at al...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suzannet938
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Still, it upsets me to learn that our level of cleanliness did not meet your expectations. Please know, I am working with our entire staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated.

If you have any additional feedback, please contact me directly at, sfr@extendedstay.com. Again thank you for the comments. We would love to have chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.
Alameda, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The good: I was checked in seamlessly by a wonderful British woman (Lisa, I think her name was) & was able to give me an early check in.
This is where the good stopped: my room had an overwhelming odor of body odor & wet dog, the suite hadn't been given a good dusting in a while, there were 2 dead bugs between the bottom & the top sheet, several of the bed pillows were stained & yellow, the closet curtain was pulled off its enforcements, the coffee pot & coffee maker hadn't been cleaned in some time & the hallway noise was unbearably loud. It's not safe for a woman to stay here, as there are people loitering in the parking lot at all hours, & whomever it was staying across from my room knocked on my door twice: once when I checked in & another time at 10pm, for a prolonged
amount of time. I ended up quickly checking out that night, so I cannot say how their offered breakfast was in the morning. I would avoid this Extended Stay in Richmond at all costs.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank ArmsAndTheMan
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate an early check-in for you. Still, I apologize that the cleanliness of your room did not meet your expectations. I will be reviewing your comments with our housekeeping staff to ensure these issues are not repeated in the future. As well, I am sorry that you experienced some noise disturbance from neighboring guests. Guest safety is a top priority of ours, and we will be taking your feedback very seriously. Thank you again for your comments. We hope we have the opportunity to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We booked this hotel on Priceline -- when I called the hotel to see if they could set up our room with a crib/pack-n-play, I was told that the hotel does not own any type of crib. Since we are flying from Chicago (with two small children each requiring carseats, strollers, etc.), this leaves us in quite a predicament. Our baby will try to climb out of anything without sides, we don't have enough hands (let alone room in the rental car) to add a pack-n-play, and Priceline can't refund our reservation. I can't imagine that we are the first guests to stay here who need a baby bed! So just be warned if you're planning to stay here with a baby.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank anneperk
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Anne - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I was disheartened to read that our not having a crib available will cause great inconvenience during your upcoming stay. Please accept our apologies as it is a mission of ours to provide a home away from home experience for our guests. To uphold our company's high standards, we will communicate our not having cribs with our third party vendors.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. We look forward to your staying with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sfr2@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly.
Bend, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We enjoyed staying here for the one night we were there. Everything was very clean, and smelled fresh. They are pet friendly for a small fee. It is very close to the mall area, so finding food was very easy. (In-n-Out!) After staying at Motel 6 the night before, this almost felt like a fancy resort. The kitchen was very basic, but clean and functional. It just seemed very plain compared to the nice colors on the walls in the bedroom and bathroom areas. Maybe easier to keep clean.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Kevin - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the hotel, the proximity to restaurants and that we're pet friendly. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Arrived early to check in but rooms not available yet. Manager agreed to store our bags behind front desk area. Returned to check in. check in was fast and friendly. Manager told us that our bags went to the room. Upon arrival in room, first impression was that room didn't look renovated. worn out beds, kitchen, bathroom, and carpet. refrigerator and ac noisy. Found out someone stole my daughters bag with ALL her soccer uniforms and equipment. The explanation we've got was that the staff delivered our bags to the room while the previous occupants were still checked in and that they took it. HELLO! The reason why were on the trip was because of my daughters Soccer Tournament! All the Manager could tell me was that their insurance company will reimburse me for the stolen bag and items that were in it. WHAT ABOUT THE AIRFARE, COMING FROM HAWAII, RENTAL CAR, ETC......AND MY DAUGHTER NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY IN THE TOURNAMENT! Where's the compensation in that? This place is terrible all the way around! I am still working with the insurance company regarding this matter. Staff and Supervisor (Lead) acted as if I was bothering them and the Manager totally avoided me until the day we checked out.

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriott next door!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Guy O
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

It was a good one night stay. Supposedly it's been recently renovated, but the wear and tear are very obvious. I was pleasantly surprised by the non existent musty odor, that usually low end hotels have. The rooms are suites, so they are fully equipped with large refrigerator, stove top and cookware. The only reason why we stayed here was because of our 90lb bull mastiff dog...she's not really welcomed in the nicer middle priced hotels. I was amazed that ESA-Richmond only charged us $25/night for her. Even though it was a good hotel, it is located in a bad part of town...so we will probably not be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Wendy - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that you found your room to be clean and the hotel to be comfortable overall. We truly enjoyed having you and your Mastiff dog visit with us.

I am sorry to read that you are concerned with the area we are located in, but promise that your safety is our first priority. We would never place any guest in harms way, and strive to ensure our hotel is a great place to stay for everyone. With this in mind, hopefully you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Courtyard Richmond Berkeley
Holiday Inn Express San Pablo
Hotel Mira Vista
Hotel Mira Vista
#1 of 5 in El Cerrito
Days Inn Pinole Berkeley
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area

Been to Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall? Share your experiences!