“Not as bad as people say”

Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have had a few experiences with this hotel. Last week was the first time I had been there in quite a few years. I am from Richmond. We have family reunions every couple of years and this place had always been convenient (and MUCH cheaper than the Courtyard next door). I had stopped staying there about 6 years ago, because it just seemed run down and just not clean. Last week, we tried it again because he had heard it was remodeled and under new management from the last time we stayed. I must say, we were okay with our decision to stay there. The rooms were definately better than they use to be. They were clean. No smoke or food smells. The carpet was clean (walking barefoot on it did not give me dirty feet, which is a very good thing) The refridgerator in the room was old, but it worked fine and was not noisy. The air conditioner in our room was also fine and not noisy. For what we paid for it, I can say I was more than okay with the decision to stay there. It was a pleasant experience for us this time around. I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SFMaria22
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you chose to stay with us after a number of years. I'm glad you found the changes we have made in staffing and amenities to your liking. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to hosting you next time you have another reunion.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Its more of a shelter which is great for people who are homeless but safety is an issue the Mexican Male housekeeper came into my room without knock notice or any type of warning After asking him to leave he insisted on talking to me and I wasn't dressed plus had my gma and my young son with me. The toilet was very old and the seat was broken and there were NO face rags upon arrival.so as stated I THINK It Is wonderful that homeless people CAN have shelter but don't call it a hotel ...If you're looking for a hotel of even 2 stars Look harder don't settle ijs

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Mizcali
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the level of professionalism displayed by some members of our staff and the maintenance issues in your room. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol and maintenance policies to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please know, you can request towels including toiletry times at our front desk at any time. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, sfr2@extendedstay.com.

Again, thank you for the comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was a fine place to stay, with frig, microwave, coffeemaker. They do have a breakfast, but it is really sparse. I brought oatmeal so all I needed was hot water. I'd stay again if I needed to be in this area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. Again, thank you for the comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a safe area tucked in a hillside pocket. Easy access to everything. We spent 9 nights Room 324.
Good: Had a stove top, full frig, dishes. Everything you need for a full weeks stay. You do have to ask for everything including towels, shampoo, soap, TP, pots & pans. The carpet seems new but already has dirt spots on it. Flat screen tv & nice little dining table & 2 chairs (chairs also have fluid or food spots)
Not So Good: Yes there is continual smoke smell in hallway. Upon entering the room we found broken nightstand, hair in our shower & sink. Dirty plates in the cupboard, The stove was dirty. The inside of the window was dirty. The phone has not been dusted in months. But the full size picture by my bed has "stuff" on it. Dried fluids? When the light hits it...yikes. I did not report anything but I just cleaned the bathroom & dishes myself.
Would I stay here again or recommend this facility? Maybe. Only if they take care of monitoring their housekeeping staff. It is obvious they are not being held accountable. If it continues to function like it is it will go down hill fast.
HOWEVER: Over all this was a good stay for $95. per night. It suited our purposes as we have been traveling for 5 weeks now & were delighted to cook our own food for a change.

Room Tip: Don't go to Wal Mart opposite the main signal. No veggies to speak of. No meat. No variety at al...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzannet938
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Still, it upsets me to learn that our level of cleanliness did not meet your expectations. Please know, I am working with our entire staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated.

If you have any additional feedback, please contact me directly at, sfr@extendedstay.com. Again thank you for the comments. We would love to have chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The good: I was checked in seamlessly by a wonderful British woman (Lisa, I think her name was) & was able to give me an early check in.
This is where the good stopped: my room had an overwhelming odor of body odor & wet dog, the suite hadn't been given a good dusting in a while, there were 2 dead bugs between the bottom & the top sheet, several of the bed pillows were stained & yellow, the closet curtain was pulled off its enforcements, the coffee pot & coffee maker hadn't been cleaned in some time & the hallway noise was unbearably loud. It's not safe for a woman to stay here, as there are people loitering in the parking lot at all hours, & whomever it was staying across from my room knocked on my door twice: once when I checked in & another time at 10pm, for a prolonged
amount of time. I ended up quickly checking out that night, so I cannot say how their offered breakfast was in the morning. I would avoid this Extended Stay in Richmond at all costs.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank ArmsAndTheMan
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate an early check-in for you. Still, I apologize that the cleanliness of your room did not meet your expectations. I will be reviewing your comments with our housekeeping staff to ensure these issues are not repeated in the future. As well, I am sorry that you experienced some noise disturbance from neighboring guests. Guest safety is a top priority of ours, and we will be taking your feedback very seriously. Thank you again for your comments. We hope we have the opportunity to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We booked this hotel on Priceline -- when I called the hotel to see if they could set up our room with a crib/pack-n-play, I was told that the hotel does not own any type of crib. Since we are flying from Chicago (with two small children each requiring carseats, strollers, etc.), this leaves us in quite a predicament. Our baby will try to climb out of anything without sides, we don't have enough hands (let alone room in the rental car) to add a pack-n-play, and Priceline can't refund our reservation. I can't imagine that we are the first guests to stay here who need a baby bed! So just be warned if you're planning to stay here with a baby.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank anneperk
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Anne - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I was disheartened to read that our not having a crib available will cause great inconvenience during your upcoming stay. Please accept our apologies as it is a mission of ours to provide a home away from home experience for our guests. To uphold our company's high standards, we will communicate our not having cribs with our third party vendors.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. We look forward to your staying with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sfr2@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We enjoyed staying here for the one night we were there. Everything was very clean, and smelled fresh. They are pet friendly for a small fee. It is very close to the mall area, so finding food was very easy. (In-n-Out!) After staying at Motel 6 the night before, this almost felt like a fancy resort. The kitchen was very basic, but clean and functional. It just seemed very plain compared to the nice colors on the walls in the bedroom and bathroom areas. Maybe easier to keep clean.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Kevin - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the hotel, the proximity to restaurants and that we're pet friendly. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Courtyard Richmond Berkeley
Days Inn Pinole Berkeley
Holiday Inn Express San Pablo
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville
Americas Best Value Inn - Richmond / San Francisco
Economy Inn Richmond
Economy Inn Richmond
#3 of 6 in Richmond

Been to Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall? Share your experiences!