“Worth coming to Riverside, just to stay here”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 28 March 2011

While we had seen pictures and talked about staying here before, this visit was driven by a conference my wife would be attending.

Welcome to the "Winchester Mystery House meets Hearst Castle"...with room service. We arrived late in the evening (a time when the room selection could get iffy) but the greeting and service was outstanding. Kristen at the front desk was a good judge of how little (or much) information arriving guests would like. She offered us a bump up to a larger room overlooking some of the gardens, while giving us a very animated history of the property (only slightly abridged).

We loved our room. Very open and clean with great daylight from windows on two sides. The room was spotless and the housekeeper really knows how to make bowties out of towels, TP and facial tissue. We were there for two nights. Returning to the room during the day found the respect for our travel clutter from the housekeeper to be very precise. The trail of business papers I left on the coffee table, mixed in with 2 newspapers and 3 travel journals, was made neat but not disrupted.

The room also had a Keurig single cut coffee maker. Way better than most choices for self-serve coffee in a hotel room. The chocolate that was left during turn down was some of the very best...ever! So good, that I kept the package so I could track down some more; Le Belge Chocolatier

I often judge hotel restaurants by breakfast and Mission Inn shines. Excellent French Toast and apple wood smoked bacon. My wife requested "a little fruit” instead of potatoes with her eggs. A surprisingly large and flawless assortment of melon, grapes and berries were served. If she had ordered a "fruit plate" as a separate item, what she was served would have filled the request just fine. Our server Raul did a very fine job. While clearly a server, rather than a manager, he acted as if he owned the place and wanted to make sure we felt welcome...and well fed.

I am surprised by some of the other comments on tripadvisor about the staff at Mission Inn. Everyone, from the turndown housekeeper to the guy who advised us that the pool area was closing soon, was direct, professional and always very pleasant.

We remembered Kristen and Raul’s names because they made lasting positive impressions on us, along with making our stay special. My standards are high. I am a travel industry professional. My prefered chain hotels are Westin, Hyatt Regency, Fairmont and OMNI.

Oh, about the pool. This is one of very few hotels I have found; where the pool and Jacuzzi stays open for guests until 11:00 PM.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Fredo805
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor! We are happy to hear that you had a very memorable and comfortable visit throughout your stay with us. I will be sure that I share your feedback with out staff and present Kristen and Raul with a Guest Service Award based on your very generous comments. We do hope to have you and your wife again as our guests in the future.

Yours in Service,

Director of Rooms - The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 16 March 2011

This is an absolutely beautiful establishment, it's unfortunate that they don't hire or train staff ( front desk in particular) to behave on the same level. The lack of unprofessionalism appalled me. I was checking in on a friday evening around 5:30, had 5 guests checking in front of me with only one clerk. It took me 20 minutes to get waited on, only to be told I couldn't check in. The guest I was rooming with had called in advance to make sure I could check before she arrived, they assured her this was fine. They said they never got the call (I was there when she made it, and she gave them my name) which was just the beginning of a very unecessary hour long ordeal. The front desk manager was sitting in the back when he should have been helping his staff at the desk. Bryan -- raised his voice at me when I explained that a call was made in advance and said no one their had talked to anyone. He never apologized for his rudeness. And, on top of everything else they charged my friends card $75 for incidentals when there were non incidentals used. I could go on and on.........this just scratches the surface. Very unfortunate. One person in particular can spoil what was to be a very special occasion. My 50th birthday.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank dhdzigns1
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

Dear Guest,

I am sorry if your 50th Birthday was ruined by your check in experience with us at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa. This is not the experience we want any of out guests to have an we are sorry that you did. I did research this incident further to see what happened and it seems as there was some confussion on the form of payment needed to get checked in. We do allow other guests to check in with the permission of the registered guest, however if the registered guest has not registered and provided a form of identification and payment, we do need to collect this from the person trying to check in. We do not allow other guests to use someone elses credit card. The form of payment must match the identification of the guest checking in. I am sorry that we did not allow you to use your roommates credit card to check in, however this is our hotel policy for card holders safety. I am very sorry that you were not happy about this policy and it created a delay in getting your stay started. I do hope that overall the remainder of your stay was enjoyable.

Director of Rooms

Reviewed 12 March 2011

How do you discribe a place like the mission inn... the real answer is you simply cant with words...! You need to go there and experience it !! THIS IS THE BEST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED AT. (and ive stayed a quite a few) This was my 3rd visit (first with my wife) and i think it is even better now than the first two visits (i didnt think it was possible, but it is !)
You cant write enuff words to discribe this magnificent hotel/resort/piece of history.. its not actually a hotel, its a state of being ! its a tourst destination, its an historic site. Everywhere your eye lands you see something different and unique !! iT DOESNT MATTER WHICH PART OF THE HOTEL YOU ARE IN... YOU SEE SOMETHING ELSE THAT TAKES YOUR BREATH AWAY !! i had to sit down for a while in-order to let all of its ambience soak in !! The mission inn is as far removed from a cookie cutter boxy hotel as you could ever find. The outdoor mexican resturant is amaaaaaazing !! breakfast in the outdoor courtyard is incredible, i could go on and on and on.... again, you need to just sit and soak it all in to really appreciate it !!
if there is a better hotel anywhere in the WORLD i would love someone to tell me about it !!
You must, must experience this establishment for yourself... you simply must !!

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kingrox
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you had a great experience your last stay at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa. We want all of our guests to be happy and comfortable throughout their stay and we are happy that you were.

Director of Rooms Division
3649 Mission Inn Ave.
Riverside, Ca 92501
Direct (951) 341-6744
Fax (951) 782-7197
ecarbajal@missioninn.com

Reviewed 3 March 2011

This is a charming historic mission landmark with well kept gardens, lush greenery, and many pieces of arts: portraits of presidents, chinese porcelains, mission paintings, enhancing the rich textures and interest of the warm mission style building. I was picked up promptly from the Ontario Airport by Seth, a friendly UCR student, in a shuttle for a pleasant 15 minute ride to the Inn. I was checked in promptly by a cheerful hostess and given a large room with a street view. Room came with two complimentary breakfasts. The package was paid for by UC Riverside, so I don't know the costs.

Ate dinner with colleagues at the hotel restaurant: swordfish and coconut rice. It's tender and juicy. Top off perfectly with creme bulee dessert. The second breakfast was a little mixed up, may be because of the early hour. I was given a check inspite of my complimentary coupon and part of my breakfast never came - the fruit smoothie. The restaurant was sparkling and beautifully painted with ivy vines along the arches and clouds on the ceiling.

The hostesses and valet people were very attentive and friendly. A very pleasant and relaxing stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant and relaxing stay! I will be sure that we recognize Seth for his hospitality as well as the valet and hostess staff. We do hope that you come and stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

So I checked in on Friday 2/18/11. The staff at the front desk was lovely. checked in earlier which was a plus. Had a lovely lunch in the mexican restaurant in the hotel.

Later went to the tavern in the hotel. Very nice fun to look at all the pictures. Walked around the hotel . Quite a large amount of things to see.

Decided I liked the hotel quite a bit, so I added an addtional day. Un beknowst to me,there was an AYSO (soccer) taking place somewhere close to the hotel. All of a sudden literally large groups of kids arrived.It was total and complete pandemonium.

The kids ran up and down the hallways and stairs without any sort of parental supervision. The employees acted indifferent to comments from guests about the noise.

We had a reservation at Duanes and decided to enjoy the wine bar. Kids were running about, no parents in sight. We asked one of the bar staff, why children were allowed in the bar.The response was"we can't do anything is the parents want them there" To which I responded, "What parents?" One of the kids had some sort of toy that squeaked
and continued to do so. Would have been nice if security would have done something!

Did enjoy dinner. At about 1:30am we were awakened by 3 individuals having a very loud discussion about a sexual act that they wished to do.

In the morning, we couldn't check out fast enough which was problematic as only two employees working at reception. Took forever as the kids et al were checking out as well.

I sent an email to the hotel's customer relations individual. Someone by the name of "Elie" I have yet to receive a response.

Don't know if I would ever stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pink1055
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I usually can find at least one thing wrong with a hotel when I travel and I couldn't find one thing, not one thing wrong with the Mission Inn, Riverside, CA. From the airport to the Inn and back again nothing but smoothe sailing. The person at the front desk was as courteous as can be as were all of the employees we came in contact with. Check in time was 3:00 but they gave us a room (an upgrade at that) at 11:00. We were settled in and having lunch at the Las Campanas by 11:30. This restaurant has wonderful cuisine. Some might consider it a bit pricey but it is well worth it with the service and ambience. The margaritas were outstanding. Our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The peace and quiet at night can't be beat. The views of the patio and rest of the Inn were spectacular. I recommend this Inn and will definitely go back when time and funds allow.

• Stayed: February 2011
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

Thank you so much for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you found the staff to be friendly, your room clean and spacious and your dining experience good. We do hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

SIncerely,

The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 24 February 2011

If your not from the area, this hotel is very easy to find: it truly is a landmark easily found when coming into town. Just to be clear, this is not an actual mission, but an old hotel that looks like a mission. It's rich with historical character and a fun place to get lost inside. Maze like stairways wind in turrets and each floor holds some new discovery of antique furniture or awesome views.

The service is very good at the front desk. Breakfast in the Mission Inn Restaurant is pretty forgettable. There is wireless in the lobby, but if your room is close enough, you can still get it in your room. Parking is $5 a night and across the street.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you had a great experience at The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and we hope to have you as our guest again in the future!

The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa