While we had seen pictures and talked about staying here before, this visit was driven by a conference my wife would be attending.
Welcome to the "Winchester Mystery House meets Hearst Castle"...with room service. We arrived late in the evening (a time when the room selection could get iffy) but the greeting and service was outstanding. Kristen at the front desk was a good judge of how little (or much) information arriving guests would like. She offered us a bump up to a larger room overlooking some of the gardens, while giving us a very animated history of the property (only slightly abridged).
We loved our room. Very open and clean with great daylight from windows on two sides. The room was spotless and the housekeeper really knows how to make bowties out of towels, TP and facial tissue. We were there for two nights. Returning to the room during the day found the respect for our travel clutter from the housekeeper to be very precise. The trail of business papers I left on the coffee table, mixed in with 2 newspapers and 3 travel journals, was made neat but not disrupted.
The room also had a Keurig single cut coffee maker. Way better than most choices for self-serve coffee in a hotel room. The chocolate that was left during turn down was some of the very best...ever! So good, that I kept the package so I could track down some more; Le Belge Chocolatier
I often judge hotel restaurants by breakfast and Mission Inn shines. Excellent French Toast and apple wood smoked bacon. My wife requested "a little fruit” instead of potatoes with her eggs. A surprisingly large and flawless assortment of melon, grapes and berries were served. If she had ordered a "fruit plate" as a separate item, what she was served would have filled the request just fine. Our server Raul did a very fine job. While clearly a server, rather than a manager, he acted as if he owned the place and wanted to make sure we felt welcome...and well fed.
I am surprised by some of the other comments on tripadvisor about the staff at Mission Inn. Everyone, from the turndown housekeeper to the guy who advised us that the pool area was closing soon, was direct, professional and always very pleasant.
We remembered Kristen and Raul’s names because they made lasting positive impressions on us, along with making our stay special. My standards are high. I am a travel industry professional. My prefered chain hotels are Westin, Hyatt Regency, Fairmont and OMNI.
Oh, about the pool. This is one of very few hotels I have found; where the pool and Jacuzzi stays open for guests until 11:00 PM.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This castle-like hotel is next door to the Main Street Pedestrian Mall and a half-mile from the Riverside Convention Center. This historic hotel occupies a city block in downtown Riverside. Guests have included presidents and Pulitzer Prize winners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mission Hotel Riverside
- Mission Hotel Riverside
- Mission Resort Riverside
- Inn Mission Riverside Ca
- Mission Inn Hotel Riverside