“Stay away, noisy, loud, can't sleep, noisy, loud,”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 14 December 2007

I stayed two nights. The rooms are old. There was a window with curtains insid the shower, so if you are a big guy, your elbows and body will be touching the window curtains as you shower. When i was in the tub going for a hot soak (I don't ususally do this since I know tubs are NOT clean, but i was sick with the chills, and needed a hot soak), I noticed some mildew around the tub and alot of mildew underneath the spout where the runoff water goes).

I read few of the 1 (one) star reviews, and concur with most of them.

DO NOT stay on the first floor. REPEAT: do NOT stay on the first floor. There is constant opening and closing of doors on the ground floor below, AT ALL HOURS. I was awaken at the opening and closing of doors from 4am to 6am. Also, the hotel room doorst are VERY loud when closing, so when someone leaves their room, and the door automatically shuts, it's a "BANG"!

You also have to realize tha if your room is facing the courtyard, there are restaurants below, and if you open your window, you can hear all the customers talking, laughing, etc. until about 9 to 10 p.m. at night. So for those early birds...you definitely don't want a room on the first floor, go HIGHER.

Please read more of the 1 star reviews. I only pointed out the noise factor. There are other problems but i've typed long enough.

• Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank badbatzmaru
Write a ReviewReviews (1,692)

Reviewed 26 November 2007

We stayed here for the first night of the Festival of Lights. We got married here 2 years ago on the 25th. We thought it would be adorable to celebrate our anniversary and see the lights we didn't have time to see when we got married.
We booked the Festival of Lights package which include a $75 gift certificate, box of truffles, and a "special" calendar. So with a Mission level room that came to 405.00/ night. I do not mind paying for something if I feel like I am getting a good value, I didn't.
The place is beautiful. This is not a 4 star resort, I have gotten better service at a Hilton Garden Inn. I understand that the Mission Inn is a older property and has very unique characteristics. Every room has different accents and designs that are very charming. The rooms were remodeled with duvets and flat screen TV's. Odd things were: the toilet was abnormally high off the ground, so when you sat down, your feet dangled (husband who is over 6' tall was on his tippy toes), NO COFFEE MAKER, cheap toiletries, lack of typical bathroom amenities (sewing kit, cotton balls q tips), and lack of sufficient quantities of towels. The bed was hard like the ones you would find in mexico.

We ordered room service, which is relatively reasonable for room service prices. I forgave that it took over an hour, I understood the resort was busy, but the person who delivered didn't ask us if we needed any ice or removed any plastic wrap off the food and classes of ice water ( I have ordered room service enough to know what to expect). She just complained that the tray was heavy, dropped the food off, stood for any additional tip, and left. The food was very good though.

The lights and fireworks were very beautiful, and I was very glad I got married there because I have really great pictures. I just thought the service left much to be desired.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
6  Thank septocaine_queen
Reviewed 22 November 2007

I've always wanted to stay at the Mission Inn, it's so incredible looking. The room was a little small, but that was ok, it was so lovely. Our door had a sweet little Spanish name painted on it. Instead of there being traditional baseboards, they use marble, really beautiful. Our room had a cute little balcony which overlooked the inner courtyard. As long as we kept the door to the balcony closed, it was quiet and you couldn't really hear the partyers at the outdoor restaurant below. The only bad part was the bed. It was a gorgeous bed, but holy cow, it was the hardest bed either of us have ever slept on!! We were going to make reservations to go back for the night that they do the Festival of Lights, but have decided not to spend $$$ to sleep on a stone.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2007

Stayed here to attend a conference at the hotel. I was amazed at the architecture from the time we checked in to the time we left. I had to share a room with my fellow worker. No problem! The room was 40' long with two queen beds each with it's own flat panel TV. It was on the 3rd floor and looked out over the courtyard. The history in this place is amazing. It's loaded with antiques. The staff was exceptional, the beds very comfortable and the room spotless. The food at the restaurants was delectable. I don't care for Riverside, but would definately drive there again just to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank slowolf
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Would never have stayed here except the corporation was footing the bill because of a meeting. That said, I booked my "courtesy" transportation from airport and waited 2 1/2 hours, with two worried phone calls, in the Santa Ana winds and flying soot. Okay, that could be incidental, I suppose. The building is old, the rooms kinda creepy, and I keep getting lost in the weird winding halls. Not a problem, except I wonder what would happen in a fire, God forbid. Also, elevators are amazingly small and half out of order. Food is okay, very rich and making someone rich, nothing for vegetarians, so don't go getting any ideas if you aren't all about steak. No vending machines, bad part of town, and limited access to the things business travellers expect, like copy machines and faxes. Also notice that despite a lot of lamps in my room, the lighting is pretty poor. Probably an effect of the nearly black ceilings -- anyhow, if you crave "well-lit" don't come here! Won't be back, but wouldn't pay that much anyhow. Look at the pictures, take the docent tour, and be satisfied!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank traumajunqui
Reviewed 19 September 2007

My wife and I are experienced travelers, and have stayed in many excellent hotels both in the US and abroad. Our experience during a one night stay at the Mission Inn was excellent.

We started with a docent-led tour of the hotel, which introduced us to its history and myriad unique architectural features. This more than 100 year-old inn came on hard times, but was rescued, re-rehabilitated and polished to its original condition. Everything about this hotel is truly spectacular and wholly unusual - from the unique mixture of architectural styles, which range from Spanish to Gothic, with a smattering of Moorish and Asian, to its beautiful plantings and water features. The place is impeccably maintained, with high quality furnishings, carpets and drapes in the rooms. We spent hours exploring the hotel on our own.

The hotel staff is friendly and helpful, providing turn down service in the evenings. The concierge even gave us a private tour of the spectacular wedding chapel early on the morning of our departure.

The restaurant in the Spanish Patio is the most lovely al-fresco setting I have ever experienced, with soaring walls adorned with architectural features too numerous to list, blooming bougainvilleas, trickling fountains and bright umbrellas. The food is also very good, and the service highly attentive. The Sunday brunch in which we indulged was pricey, but worth it.

Our room was small, but quite comfortable. It faced a small courtyard that was a bit noisy at times with the comings and goings of a wedding party.

Overall, this is a great place to stay - please don't miss it, even if you just take the tour, when you are in Riverside.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bowline
Reviewed 4 September 2007

Four star. I don't think so. Resort . I don't think so.The bed was good and the staff was nice. But thats all the good I can say.
The Mission Inn and Resort is an old, old building with very small elevators,hallways and none of them are air conditioned. It was 112 degrees and the room a/c would only gring it down to 84. At $240.00 a night I was not happy. You can do better at several places within a five mile radius.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple