The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Travelocity
US$78
Average 3/5
1,716 results
All reviewsfestival of lightspresidential loungehistoric hotellas campanascupcakesthe mexican restaurantnooks and cranniesholiday seasonold world charmmillion lightsevery cornerone of a kindbucket listbeautiful architecturevalet parkingwedding receptionthird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with fantastic architectural details. There are many interesting ancient style features, hidden stone, spiral staircases and Tiffany windowed chapels. The eccentric owner hosted numerous So Cal celebrities. Also a surprise are the artistic collections of bells and floor mosaics and Asian art. Have dinner or drinks in the Spanish courtyard and you'll feel like you are back in Europe. Lovely pool as well!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have wanted to stay here for a few years now and finally got the chance in October we stayed over just one night and wished we could have stayed longer. The Hotel is amazing - like staying at Hearst Castle with all the rooms and nooks and wings. I am glad we took the tour or we wouldn`t have had an opportunity to see so much of the place. We got to go into various rooms that weren`t booked. (One couple in the tour let us go into their room and it was fabulous - 2 floors) Our room was pretty basic so go splurge and upgrade for a unique room. The pool area was a nice surprise - it was a pretty area with a resort feel. Would love to go back

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Where to start in reviewing this iconic hotel? The macaws that happily greet you at the entrance? The beautiful landscaping? The friendly staff? The rooms, no one alike? Wherever you start, you have to finish with the fantastic, bizarre, unbelievable architecture and design of this large hotel that fills a city block. We have spent dozens of days and evenings exploring the nooks and crannies and hidden stairways and alcoves of the hotel and still get lost. Nothing else really matters about the hotel. Do they get a bit overwhelmed on busy weekends? Yes. Get over it. The place is incredible. We would not stay anywhere else in the area.

Room Tip: They are all different. Call the hotel and ask questions.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt nearby on a previous trip, and thought I would try this historic hotel. In retrospect, this was a bad choice.
Bed - Bed was pretty comfortable.
Sleep - Thought the first floor would have been nice, especially since it was recommended by the hotel front desk. However, the walls in this place are thin! Thus, it was hard to fall asleep.
Breakfast - not included, but the free coffee was nice.
Pool - Nice, but the weather was a little too cold at night during my stay.
Refrigerator - Small! I guess it was better than not having one at all.
Internet - was only free in the lobby, but I was able to get it in my room. Maybe it was because I was only on the first floor, or maybe it was because I was situated towards the middle of the hotel. Not sure.
Misc. - the long hallways were kinda creepy at night.

Room Tip: Room facing the pool
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2013

One of the highlights of my business trips to Riverside is staying at the Mission Inn. There is just nothing quite like it, and for my money the other alternatives, at least downtown, pale in comparison. I have stayed there literally dozens of times over the years and I don’t think I have ever stayed in a room that was identical to another – each seems to be unique, as is the eponymous style of the overall Inn. It rambles here and there with either genuine or reproduction Mission-style antiques everywhere. During the winter holiday season, it is has over-the-top decorations and a Festival of Lights that is a bit quirky, but somehow still fascinating in the way the Disneyland Parade of Lights grabs your attention.

It has many if not all of the features that I could hope for on a business one. High on the list is a lap-sized gorgeous heated outdoor pool that I can actually work out in. There is also an adequate workout room and classy Kelly’s Spa, which I have only had time to take advantage of a few times, but when I did the massages were great. There are several restaurants, including Duane’s, which is as good a steakhouse as you’ll find, and a wine bar with an extensive by-the-glass selection. Service is always top notch from the front desk to housekeeping to valet parking, and while there is not a business center per se, the concierge is always happy to help you print our documents, boarding passes, etc.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business