“Phenomenal Experience”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Aliso Viejo, California
“Phenomenal Experience”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have eaten lunch at the Mission inn myriad of times, visited shops and even taken photos with family. But I must admit, my stay in the hotel was phenomenal. I received incredible service from the valet station all the way to my room. My wife and I ordered room service around 11pm and the service was speedy as well as delicious. I have been a resident of riverside for 20 years and going forward, Lord willing my wife and I plan stay at the Mission inn once a year.

Paul P.

Room Tip: I had a room above the Spanish restaurant down stairs. Lovely view from the open balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hotel not a "real" mission, but they have done a good job in making it look like one. We booked a package during the Festival of Lights and were not disappointed. The packages are a very good deal. For $200 we got a huge corner room, a $25 credit to be used in the restaurants and free parking. I think is was a very fair price. From what I saw all the rooms are very big and well equipped, so I think you can't go wrong. The Spa is too expensive, though.

Besides the extremely interesting and well maintained facility, what I liked the most was the opportunity to walk around. There are lots of hallways, yards and great views from the top floors. You don't need to go anywhere else, there is enough in the hotel to see. The pool and hot tub are fantastic, and laying in something similar to mission courtyard was great. There are several restaurants (reviewed separately) and a bar/lounge ideal for a late drink with live music (the guy playing a real professional, amazing playing guitar, clarinet, saxo...).

The service was very professional and attentive.

Only negative I can mention is that during the Festival of Lights is that the are tons of visitors coming in and out. It makes it loose the feeling of intimacy, so I would suggest some kind of control/limitation of access for the general public.

Be noted, that there are tours to visit the building, but they're not done by the hotel, so it must be reserved and paid separately. I was a little disappointed, as I would have liked to see the chapels without having to go thru the Museum.

Conclusion: this is a romantic and very recommendable place. To enjoy the hotel stay at least 2 nights and spend the day in it.

Room Tip: We had a room to the street, and it was no problem (no noise). All rooms looks huge.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pauak
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a beautiful hotel, and the Festival of lights is amazing. Our kids love seeing Santa Claus in this setting, and the Christmas season for us always starts with a visit to the Mission Inn and restaurant. Tonight, our restaurant meal was less than enjoyable due to our dim witted server. We arrived with 3 young children at 6 pm, ordered 5 buffets, a pasta and chicken nuggets, plus three glasses of wine. At 7 pm after we had helped our selves to buffet, our wine arrived one hour after we sat down, and our meal was almost over. The chicken nuggets for the 4 year old, still had not arrived to the table. After this amazingly rotten service, for mostly buffet service, the server brought the tab. She had included an 18% gratuity, but forgot to charge us for one of our buffets shorting the restaurant. We told them about the mistake and paid more, but if that were my restaurant, that server would be gone ASAP. She ruined a perfectly good meal, because the food and the ambiance were terrific.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 November 2013

What a pleasure to be a guest at the Mission Inn. I only stayed one night, but it will definitely not be my last time visiting this elegant and charming hotel. My sister's wedding reception was held earlier in the day in the Santa Barbara Room. The staff at Mission Inn are definitely on their game in the special occasion business. Everything was beautifully presented and the service staff were friendly and accommodating at all times. The patio area provided a lovely gathering area for cocktail hour, and later on for the ice cream bar. The meal was perfection: fabulous filet mignon for most of us, and a delicious salmon for the rest.

My room that night was on the third floor overlooking the entry courtyard and Las Campanas restaurant. One of the most comfortable beds I've ever experienced in a hotel. The room was spotlessly clean and fresh. Loved the plantation shutters on all the windows and doors. I enjoyed the Autumn at the Inn package, so I had Casey's Cupcakes waiting for me at turndown. The website offers some other great special occasion packages as well. Next time, I will choose on the spa weekends. The Presidential Bar/Lounge was a great gathering place for all our family. The restaurant in the hotel as well as Bella Trattoria were both excellent.

Every staff person I encountered was helpful and very friendly,with little tidbits of hotel history to share. Gabriel, at the bell desk was great!

You must give the Mission Inn a try. Great for couples, families, and friends. You will feel like you've stepped into another time, yet you have all the modern conveniences at hand. Kudos to MIssion Inn and their excellent staff!

Garden Grove, California
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I booked a nice room (433) for my wife and my 30th wedding anniversary. The suite next door was rented to a group celebrating a both birthday party and party they did. Very noisy from 6:00 pm to ?. Security was not able to do anything about the noise.

We left at midnight. Will not go again. Was not offered a comp.

Room Tip: Don't do it!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimCGG
Minnesota
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've been trying to get my wife here for 10 years and we made finally made it. We loved it. The room was great, we loved the pool, nice shopping around the hotel, and the charm of the hotel can't be beat. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful. We had a great time. Well worth if for a special weekend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Riverside, California
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is an exquisite hotel to have booked the day after Thanksgiving ! The Festival of Lights begins on this day with music, celebration, and festivities along the adjoining mall. Hotel guests have the privilege of watching the fireworks shooting off from the hotel rooftop from their hotel rooms and or balconies instead of being outside the hotel with the thousands of onlookers. It is a site to behold and they spare no expense. This spot is one of Southern California's best kept secrets...Riverside's weather at this time of year is amazing...much like Palm Springs which is nearby. The ice rink on the mall, horse drawn carriages, incredible hotel and downtown restaurants along with a superior spa make this an ideal holiday getaway...A magical holiday experience throughout the season. I've repeated my stays here and have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: I ask for rooms facing the center courtyard overlooking the Spanish patio. I also will ask for a roo...