“Frequent Staycation”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed at the Mission Inn several times in the last year. It's a great getaway from L.A. and the price specials make it very appealing. Many different types of rooms, so be sure you do some research.

I'd recommend Kelly's spa and the main pool, but get there early or seats will be gone. No reason to leave the property. The tour is informative, if you have no background info on the history of the hotel.

The chapel has been closed for an event every time I've stayed here, but I'm told it's quite lovely. Can't give 5 stars because the hotel is always crowded, but it's quite a gem.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,694)

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Hotel is absolutely beautiful during the Christmas Holiday.
Lights, lights over entire building with rotating figurines on the balcony.
Mini train display etc. Valet parking, although I did not stay in the hotel
because my friend insisted I sleep over at her house. I was treated as a hotel guest getting my car. Very crowded, best to go early evening or later during evening.
I will return and stay at this hotel for the experience I missed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Very BIG disappointment--checked in on a Thursday afternoon--room was not ready as promised on time--got to room which was billed as one of the premier rooms--which architecturally speaking it was--amazing domed ceiling with hand painted murals--however after being in room for less than 3 minutes it was apparent that room had not been cleaned--toothpicks on floor along with hairpins and crumbs everywhere. Children had obviously been playing with steam on French door windows as handprints everywhere (yes it is what kids do, but the hotel should have cleaned). We called Manager and they sent up housecleaning staff which was indeed prompt--head of housekeeping came in a apologized profusely. Got past that and decided to pour a glass of wine. Grabbed the two glassed near the ice bucket which had paper lids on them indicating to a reasonable person they were clean. As we began to pour the wine, we noticed some sort of gel inside the glass along with tons of finger marks/prints. Took glass down to reception desk, Manager admitted it was "disgusting" and took $100.00 off bill and apologized. Had dinner in the restaurant which was fine. Went to bed and was looking forward to waking up and seeing this spectacular domed ceiling, HOWEVER the horribly uncomfortable bed had a canopy covered with some dirty fabric that blocked your view of the ceiling--THE WHOLE PURPOSE of this particular room. Called desk again in morning, tried to explain about the bed canopy blocking view--rep taking call kept trying to get me to have a free breakfast to make up for it--then agreed to a 10% concession. Whole stay, other than the fact I was with my amazing partner was awful. Dirty hallways, worn carpets and filthy elevators. Also found out the folks staying in a room next door that was 500.00 more per night, actually paid $150.00 LESS than we did!

Hotel sent survey, I responded with the facts--no response. This soured my opinion of a place we had made a tradition for 8 Holiday seasons--always went yearly to see the phenomenal light display and have a holiday dinner. Doubt would ever go back. Thanks Mission Inn for pilfering our hard earned dollars and ruining what should have been a memorable experience. Seriously thinking of disputing with credit card company as what was promised was NOT delivered.

Room Tip: Look at your room carefully before you sign!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I give this historic gem 5 stars. It is one of the most unique hotels that I have ever experienced. The history and amazing architecture was overwhelming. I upgraded to the forth floor and was not disappointed. The room was large with high ceilings and well appointed. The bed was very comfortable. I give high remarks to the front desk staff and concierge. They were friendly and very helpful. In fact, I wish I extended my stay. Do your self a favor and upgrade to the forth floor it worth the extra money.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I went to The Mission in Summer '13. To say it was gorgeous would be an understatement... It was spectacular! My family and I went around at night just looking at the building and seeing the detail of the architecture! It's fun for families to go there, as long as the kid is old enough to appreciate the beauty of the place or just likes to explore (I was 14 and my brother was 17). Even if you don't go to the spa (which we didn't) the mission a great place! Bottom line: the staff was extremely friendly, the rooms impeccable (with abnormally soft, yet supportive pillows), and the architecture fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My mother and I recently spent 2 weeks driving the California coast from San Francisco to Los Angeles and back. When preparing for this trip I spent many hours on this site reviewing accommodations knowing that tripadvisor never steers me wrong. I can honestly say that the reviewers have once again come through for me - every single hotel/motel/inn I booked was amazing.

A couple of points about The Mission Inn Hotel:

Booking: I booked via telephone; spoke to a very nice staff member and booked a Festival of Lights package. I was able to make a specific room request (again based on tripadvisor reviews) and got a beautiful room, on the 3rd floor, overlooking the Spanish patio.

Check-in/Check out: As expected, the hotel was very busy so we waited approx. ten minutes to check in. Not very long; we were able to enjoy the Christmas decorations while waiting.

Valet Parking: Valet parking was included with our package; the staff was quick and efficient when bringing the car around at departure.

Lobby: Beautifully decorated; lots to see. Crowded because of the Festival of Lights however...

Restaurants: We did not make reservations, we should have, but we did manage to get a seat in the bar. We were given the option to order from menus from 2 different restaurants - The Mission Inn restaurant and Duane's - so we chose pastas from the Mission Inn restaurant. We found them to be delicious and the portions were a good size.

Rooms: Room was incredible! Spacious, clean, decorated nicely. The bathroom was very cool and we had windows that opened to one of the patios (the name is escaping me). The shower pressure was a bit soft for my liking but decent.

Miscellaneous: We booked the tour and we are glad we did. We had a wonderful docent who took us all through the hotel as well as the chapel. The history is amazing. The tours book quickly so I would recommend booking when you make reservations.

The Festival of Lights is definitely something to be seen. From the live reindeer, the carriage rides, the lights, decorations - it was absolutely incredible. Be warned however - it is CROWDED!

Overall, we loved every minute of this place; would recommend to others and would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nml1971
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here on the last night of the " Festival Of Lights ". Like many have said ... there are a slew of people walking around to see the lights. Seeing the lights really helps put you in the Xmas sprit ( lol ... and we were here Jan 3rd ) The Hotel has so much history , you can spend 3 or 4 hours just walking around having a drink and checking things out. The room we were in was a nice size. Yes its of course a older décor ... but everything was very clean. Also nice bedding. We both slept great. You can hear people above and on the side of you but at least this time it wasn't that big of a deal. Looking forward to staying again next Xmas season.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple