“Exquiste Holiday Experience”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Over the Christmas Holiday my wife and I stayed at the Mission Inn. It was very packed, almost overwhelmed with crowds. I think it was a Wednesday night which might have been the saving grace.
However, almost every interaction we had with staff was superlative.
The carolers at various spots in the hotel and around the grounds were so uplifting, the lights and the look on the childrens faces really put us in the spirit.

Room Tip: Courtyard 3 rd floor magnificent view but noise from holiday party was pretty intense but in no way...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,681)

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We went during the Festival of Lights. I must say it was pretty well lit up! There were a few vendors outside when it got dark, including some live reindeer! So who knew they were the size of goats, not cows. We had afternoon tea. It was very pleasant though seating inside was a bit noisy. Seating outside would have had more ambiance but we didn't want to get cold. The service was excellent. We also went on the tour and thought it was well worth the time and money. All in all we had a GREAT day. I have to recommend, if you are at all into antiques and shopping: Mrs. TiggyWinkles on the pedestrian mall next to the Mission Inn, and the huge two or 3 story antique mall across the street.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed 3 days during the Festival of Lights. The Christmas Light displays were fabulous.The hotel architecture is beautiful . We stayed on the 4th floor in a Mission Inn room. The Inn has so much nostalgia and charm. It's so beautiful.The beds were so comfortable you always hated to get out of bed in the morning. The employees were always ready to help with any problem or any question that you might ask of them. The hotel does get crowded with eveyone coming to see the lights but that is to be expected. The valet parking attendants were great. We ate at Las Campanas and The Mission Inn for dinner and breakfast brunch. The food was so delicious. I am hoping that we will be able to return to the hotel again one day during the Festival of Lights.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor the hotel can get noisy from all the crowds and the street festival at night.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed at the Mission Inn several times in the last year. It's a great getaway from L.A. and the price specials make it very appealing. Many different types of rooms, so be sure you do some research.

I'd recommend Kelly's spa and the main pool, but get there early or seats will be gone. No reason to leave the property. The tour is informative, if you have no background info on the history of the hotel.

The chapel has been closed for an event every time I've stayed here, but I'm told it's quite lovely. Can't give 5 stars because the hotel is always crowded, but it's quite a gem.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Hotel is absolutely beautiful during the Christmas Holiday.
Lights, lights over entire building with rotating figurines on the balcony.
Mini train display etc. Valet parking, although I did not stay in the hotel
because my friend insisted I sleep over at her house. I was treated as a hotel guest getting my car. Very crowded, best to go early evening or later during evening.
I will return and stay at this hotel for the experience I missed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Very BIG disappointment--checked in on a Thursday afternoon--room was not ready as promised on time--got to room which was billed as one of the premier rooms--which architecturally speaking it was--amazing domed ceiling with hand painted murals--however after being in room for less than 3 minutes it was apparent that room had not been cleaned--toothpicks on floor along with hairpins and crumbs everywhere. Children had obviously been playing with steam on French door windows as handprints everywhere (yes it is what kids do, but the hotel should have cleaned). We called Manager and they sent up housecleaning staff which was indeed prompt--head of housekeeping came in a apologized profusely. Got past that and decided to pour a glass of wine. Grabbed the two glassed near the ice bucket which had paper lids on them indicating to a reasonable person they were clean. As we began to pour the wine, we noticed some sort of gel inside the glass along with tons of finger marks/prints. Took glass down to reception desk, Manager admitted it was "disgusting" and took $100.00 off bill and apologized. Had dinner in the restaurant which was fine. Went to bed and was looking forward to waking up and seeing this spectacular domed ceiling, HOWEVER the horribly uncomfortable bed had a canopy covered with some dirty fabric that blocked your view of the ceiling--THE WHOLE PURPOSE of this particular room. Called desk again in morning, tried to explain about the bed canopy blocking view--rep taking call kept trying to get me to have a free breakfast to make up for it--then agreed to a 10% concession. Whole stay, other than the fact I was with my amazing partner was awful. Dirty hallways, worn carpets and filthy elevators. Also found out the folks staying in a room next door that was 500.00 more per night, actually paid $150.00 LESS than we did!

Hotel sent survey, I responded with the facts--no response. This soured my opinion of a place we had made a tradition for 8 Holiday seasons--always went yearly to see the phenomenal light display and have a holiday dinner. Doubt would ever go back. Thanks Mission Inn for pilfering our hard earned dollars and ruining what should have been a memorable experience. Seriously thinking of disputing with credit card company as what was promised was NOT delivered.

Room Tip: Look at your room carefully before you sign!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I give this historic gem 5 stars. It is one of the most unique hotels that I have ever experienced. The history and amazing architecture was overwhelming. I upgraded to the forth floor and was not disappointed. The room was large with high ceilings and well appointed. The bed was very comfortable. I give high remarks to the front desk staff and concierge. They were friendly and very helpful. In fact, I wish I extended my stay. Do your self a favor and upgrade to the forth floor it worth the extra money.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business