“Great Stay-Wonderful Steak house”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was working in Mira Loma and decided to make the 15 min drive past a lot of other hotels to the Mission Inn on a good friends recommendation. I'm glad I did. The hotel is more like a royal compound you would see in Europe stretched across a city block with design and style unlike any hotel I've ever been too.

A lot of energy around the place which is located on the "boardwalk" with lots of choices for bars, dining and other night life.

Duane's Prime was a great place to eat with excellent steaks and wines. Friends all loved it as well.

Haunted or not, I will return.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time. Lots of events and weddings held here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

When a friend from back east recently visited, I thought it would be more comfortable for her and I to start our vacation at the Mission Inn when she got to Riverside, as my house is undergoing renovations. I decided we would spend a little more money to get one of the rooms on the 4th floor - and oh my goodness - was it worth it! Not only was the room wonderful, but we had a spectacular view of the inner courtyards of the Inn just going to-and-from the elevator. The room had exceptional amenities and the beds were wonderfully comfortable. The staff was friendly and efficient. I'd recommended it highly to anyone in Southern California to stay for just a weekend - it's an oasis of charm and comfort.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dashabout
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Mission Inn draws its name and decor from "mission" themes, like other missions in California. Stained glass windows, crosses, pews as benches, and the most amazing architecture ever! It's so beautiful. Unless you pay for a tour, you can only roam about the hotel as a guest. We stayed for one night on a weekday and it was relatively quiet. We explored all four floors and balcony areas (which I highly recommend, especially the fourth floor's balconies and views.) Another thing we loved is plenty of places to sit at either tables or chairs / benches to just enjoy being outside on the upper floors. We brought our lunch the first day and found a nice place to enjoy it.

Nice sitting rooms throughout and in rooms. Rooms are very spacious. Try to get a room with a balcony that steps outside. The cheaper rooms don't have fridges though and that's a bummer. I assume the higher priced rooms do.

I do strongly feel this hotel needs to stop charging for internet. You don't get high speed or wireless at all unless you pay for it. That should be part of the room rate. And that's my main complaint.

Room noise tip: There's not a lot of neighbor noise (unless it was just unusually quiet the time we were there), but if you use the A/C change the fan from AUTO to always on. Otherwise it's noisy turning off and on. There will still be some A/C noise as it regulates temp, but not as likely to wake you up if the fan itself stays on.

One thing I love about how they do parking... you only pay per night, not per hour / time there. So you can get there any time before check in but park in the hotel's lot. And stay after check out and only pay for one room night's worth of parking ($15 for self park.) This allowed us to stay longer in Riverside, enjoy main street, without paying more to park. And it's nice they DO have in and out privileges for guests.

Highly recommend you enjoy this place for a nice getaway.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The block of rooms reserved for our group were sold out when I called to reserve one. The reservationist offered me an upgraded room, for a little bit more money, deal! Not so... This room is between two party areas.... Manager said the parties will be over at midnight!! This is the biggest disappointment and worst room location I have ever stayed in. So much for the upgrade!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Jotraveller56
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Absolutely unique experience. We ordered room service for Valentine's dinner; food and service was top notch. As was our breakfast room service. We had a very spacious room which was great since we brought our baby. Our room was clean and well lit and had a little mini bar. A Nice little balcony for some fresh air faced the library. It was a corner room and had little prayer cubbies.
The courtyard within the spanish style establishment was gorgeous. There is a Saturday market and great little antique stores just a short walk outside. Got a cupcake for the baby and had fantastic Italian food at an adjacent restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Mission Inn is an National Historical Landmark that is a "must see," even if one doesn't stay overnight. Naturally, the architecture resembles an old Spanish mission, but the interior is purely classic and comfortable. There are numerous restaurants including an over-the-top Sunday buffet (at $42 per person, it's not for the faint of heart or wallet). We found the food to be quite good and the service courteous and attentive. I recommend taking the 1:15 minute guided tour as the hotel has so many different areas to see and its history and the list of famous people who have visited/stayed/been married at the property is as impressive as the physical plant itself.
Our room was large and comfortable but fronted the pool/courtyard area at the front of the hotel so there was considerable noise until well after midnight when the various parties/functions ended. Ask for a room facing an interior courtyard to avoid noise unless you plan on being a reveler yourself. The bed was just OK, neither super comfortable nor uncomfortable. Considering the overall ambiance of the property, I would have expected an extra-plush bed, but this is certainly not a deal breaker.
We attended a wedding ceremony in the chapel and it was a spectacular setting. The feeling of "old-California" is everywhere and added to the beauty of the ceremony. We spent most of our time within a few blocks of the hotel. Riverside is slowly redeveloping but don't wander too far away from the hotel. Fortunately, there is enough to keep one occupied within the Mission Inn and the immediate area for at least one day so excursions aren't necessary.

Room Tip: Inside courtyard rooms will be far less noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was born and raised in Riverside, but have been away for 30 years. I still visit and did stay at the Inn about nine years ago. It has gone through a lot in its lifetime and all I can say about it now is....Stunning!

My room was large and very comfortable and the staff was very efficient. I was meeting some old high school girlfriends for lunch on the patio, and the service was terrific. They had everything ready for us and there couldn't have been a more perfect place to spend several hours over lunch.

As noted in another review, there was a lot of late night street noise on both Friday and Saturday nights, so if you are light sleepers, I would ask for an inside room. Also, a suggestion to the manager at the front desk. It was a nice touch to have oranges in a basket at check-in, but Riverside is the home of the Navel Oranges, so it would be even nicer if they were Navel's, which are the best eating Oranges as well.

Room Tip: I was in room 337, which was a wonderful room, but the side street was terribly noisy at night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank muddsmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverside
Hyatt Place Riverside Downtown
Marriott Riverside at the Convention Center
Americas Best Value Inn Riverside
Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Riverside/Corona East
Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valley
Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valley
#1 of 9 in Moreno Valley

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!