“A touch of European Spanish in mid desert.”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a wonderful place that will impress your mom, friends and business acquaintance. It is a well maintained structure attached to an old church. The bed is very comfy and clean. The staff were helpful. Overall, it is a great experience for me and mom. Although, one minor setback was the noise from outside street and footsteps from above and hallway is noticeable at a quiet night.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,692)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Mission Inn, the end destination of Hollywood stars in the 30's, still is as glamorous and beautiful as it was back then. It's a wonderful place to be pampered, great restaurants & a spa you want to return to again and again. It's the centerpiece of an equally interesting city of tall palm lined streets, a university and several colleges, and has ten wonderful public parks.

Room Tip: All rooms are good... you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This beautiful historic Spanish style Hotel in Riverside, California is a gem. Listed on the National register of Historic places, it has hosted presidents, movie stars and boasts fabulous architectural details that are original and beautiful. Our room had lovely quirky niches and arches, a balcony(overlooking a parking lot) original leaded glass, and more. There is so much to say about this hotel that it deserves a book. Tours are offered daily for 13 dollars for an in depth look at areas not open to the public and the fascinating history of the hotel. Service is excellent and there are well appointed sitting areas, outdoor patios, a good bar, art and a restaurant or two. Prices are very good when one compares to the now unaffordable Fairmont, San Francisco or other city hotels. Nice pool and Parrots in a big cage. The area nearby has many nice restaurants and shops plus an art museum and a history museum. We are not done exploring. We paid 109 bucks for a Tuesday night. Service is excellent friendly and informed staff. My husband and I stayed here because I had to attend to some business in San Bernardino, planning to come back for more.

Room Tip: We liked the part in the 160s with the mission style doors and balcony. Plan on pleading some time e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The best way to describing a stay at the Mission Inn is like a charming getaway “pocket wormhole” in the middle of dusty Riverside. We only stayed for one night, but it really felt like we were in a different state, if not another country (even different era). The architecture of the hotel is really amazing and it just makes you feel like you’re in early California/Mexico or actually even Spain. The whole time we were walking around it reminded us of the fake architecture you see at amusement parks like Disneyland or Knotts to resemble a different time period, but then you remember that this is actually an old landmark building with some parts that are older than 110 years. This is no “fake” building, but a real historical landmark. Of course, it was renovated and restored about 20 years ago but much of it is preserved from its historical original architecture and it shows.

And yes, the building looks very antique but not cheap. You can tell the maintenance crews really take care of the place and you can constantly see employees touching things up and taking care of the place (ie- you don’t see a lot of lightbulbs that are out….a sign of good maintenance). And to all of you who might have read ghost stories…don’t believe it! I walked around really late at night…sorry…no ghosts.

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Also, I believe we entered some areas to take pictures that may have been private or restricted but we weren’t hassled by the staff walking by…which was nice of them! I guess they can tell the troublemakers/loiterers from the harmless guests who just want to take pictures.

You don’t need to spend too many nights here. I think one or two nights is enough because basically you’re just staying to enjoy the hotel and the room (if you get a nice suite). We only booked the lowest rate room (around $120) and it was still pretty decent and clean. My wife and I did feel a bit itchy sometimes while we slept, so I’m not sure if it was the sheets or just dryness of the weather. If you want to stay on the 3rd or higher floors, you need to book a premium/deluxe room or suite, which I am planning to do when I go back someday. One thing to note, and as others mentioned, the floors do seem to be very creaky and loud. The ceiling above our bed was very loud and creaky from kids running upstairs and we could also feel the creakiness when we walked on a certain area in our room (so, I’m sure the people below us were annoyed too). But this is something you have to put up with and take the good with the bad as it’s a very old structure! What do you expect?... It’s about 100 years old.

There is not much to do in Riverside though, unless you like historical buildings. There’s a brochure you can get from the hotel that shows a map of all the older buildings built from around 1900-1930 and they are peppered all around the old downtown area.
There’s very few fine dining establishments in Riverside, so do your research on where you want to eat before coming or else you will end up looking aimlessly around the city. There are some decent shopping centers and malls south/west on the 91 (Tyler Galleria and along Central Avenue at Riverside Plaza).

Some must-see sights at the hotel are:
• The rotunda (can be accessed from the 4th floor- it looks better at night)
• The “authors row” area in the top center courtyard of the hotel
• The talking macaws
• The presidential lounge with President Taft’s custom-made chair since he was so huge

Room Tip: If you can spring the extra $100 or $200, it might be worth it to get the better larger rooms on the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank djson1
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I've traveled the world and stayed in more boutique and 5 star resorts than I can remember. Shockingly, I've never heard of the Mission. Thanks to Trip Advisor, I discovered what might be one of the finest hotels in the world. That's right, the WORLD! This epic, gorgeous establishment has more charm, European styling, and exceptional staff, than most Four Seasons! Did I mention the price? Super affordable for this level of opulence. A real hidden gem. I'm already booked to go back!

Room Tip: Take the 4th floor if possible... the view is outrageous.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have always wanted to spend the night at the Mission Inn and Spa. I first visited it 47 years ago with my family. My husband and I attended a wedding in Riverside and decided this was the time to book a night at this historical landmark. It was amazing. When we first checked in, we were given room 144 which one floor above the President's Lounge (bar). We quickly returned to reception desk and requested a quieter room. We were promptly given a lovely room (223) and had a very peaceful night. The bed was super comfy and our balcony overlooked the plaza and a beautiful Jacaranda tree in full bloom. This hotel is an architectural gem that just oozes history. It is full of character and old world elegance. Great service. We recommend the tour. We will return and stay longer next time!

Room Tip: Check your room first to make sure it is not over the bar :) The higher floors are quieter. It would...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicolette B
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed in room 173, 174, 175. The hotel put us above the ballroom. Noise all night, Kids couldn't sleep and to top it off a huge fight in front off our window. Never will we come back and we left a day early to get a good night's sleep!

• Stayed: May 2014