“Good Luck Sleeping”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I sit here at 11:40 PM trying to sleep amongst blaring music (sounds like there's a night club next door), slamming doors every couple of minutes, and people yelling/talking outside. We were so impressed when we got here with the beautiful building and walked the grounds taking photos. Service at the main bar was nice with a flight of wines and appetizers in the evening, but our dinner at the Mexican restaurant had very slow service. One margarita tasted like pure mango juice and we had to ask for a shot of tequila for it. I drank that one and their large $15 one and still did not feel any affect. The place is beautiful (like an oasis because there's not much else around. Had a long drive through the desert to get here.) However, it seems like a cheap motel right now as I'm trying to sleep. There are apparently a bunch of kids' soccer teams staying at the hotel for a tournament, so the main sitting area on our floor was filled with them all gathered and talking loudly a couple of times today and rudely going ahead of us in the elevator which we had been waiting for. The pool and hot tub were also extremely crowded today... enough to make us not want to go. We happened to be on a trip passing through Riverside and chose to stay here through a deal from my husband's work. Although it's a pretty building on the national landmark building/hotel list, and many presidents and famous people have stayed here (Einstein!), I'm not sure I would make it a destination. And I think some people mentioned it having been a mission. I don't believe it was... It was built as a guest house to model the mission style and added on to.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a lovely, old property but the operators seem to be resting on their laurels. Our room was spacious but one of the first things I notice is carpeting. It was pretty nasty. I wouldn't touch a bare foot to it... Paying $10.00 per day for WiFi in your room is kind of chintzy in this day and age. A $20.00 charge for valet parking for hotel guests is just a personal annoyance for me. Prices in the two restaurants which we patronized were extravagant while the food was only mediocre. We had heard about the Mission Inn for years. We can now cross it off our list. Not the fault of the hotel owners, but the air pollution in Riverside is less than healthful.

Room Tip: Many day trippers visit the Mission Inn. Avoid proximity to public rooms, pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I really enjoyed being there. Take the docent tour to learn about the hotel and the art.
Also take time to eat at some of the out door restaurants. I felt like I was in Europe.
I thought Californians were not as friendly as the South but they proved me wrong , I am glad to say.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Weather you are staying at the Mission Inn or just in town, take the Docent Led tour. You need reservations, they do fill up. The tour lasts an hour and well worth it. The historical aspects of the property, famous visitors, it's impressive art collection. And it takes you places the general public can't go. If you're there for Sunday brunch you are in for a real treat. It's the best around.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is an old, mission that was transformed into an amazing hotel. The architecture is amazing; walk through and find the chapel or the Buddha for your wedding or any other nooks and crannies for a view of the rest of the hotel or just to sit and read a book. The rooms were of decent size, well appointed, and very clean. The bell service and valet were very efficient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel is a landmark. It's a beautiful boutique hotel that has been restored to its grandeur. I've stayed 3 or 4 times and had many different types of rooms, and all are elegant .The bougainvillea on the grounds are beautiful. The shops and restaurants and nearby museums are great and add vitality to the area. The nearby farmers market on Saturday's is great.

If I had to nitpick, the rooms can be a little noisy particularly those overlooking the pedestrian mall with restaurant patrons and saxophone players out late. It clearly adds to the charm, but a room in the back may be better for those that retire early particularly during the Festival of lights

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel is amazing! The staff is very friendly and there is so many things to learn. I only stayed one night but will be going back again. The shops surrounding the propery are enchanting and fun. Great weekend trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family