“Don't Miss This if You're in Riverside”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I was a bit unsure of the Mission Inn when I we to Riverside on a business trip. However, I figured it was worth a try and am very glad I stayed there. I had one of the nice rooms, which didn't cost too much more than a standard room. It was worth the price.

The entire hotel is like out of a movie. It's the exact style you'd think of for a historic Spanish mission. It has numerous courtyards full of lush foliage and amazing architecture. The rooms are one of a kind and have all sorts of views.

My room had massive two story windows on one side with a view down to a large courtyard. On the other side I had a view to a small patio with a running fountain. The bathroom window would open slightly so you could hear the sound of the running water and enjoy the fresh air while still keeping privacy.

The actual room was great. The bed was comfortable, the sheets and towels were up to par. The water pressure was good and there was a very large closet.

I couldn't detect wifi, but there was reliable ethernet in the hotel.

The staff was just fine and the valet was able to give good directions.

If you're headed to Riverside, this seems like a "best bet."

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank UTAustin

Reviewed 9 April 2009

My husband and I just returned from fabulous stay at the Mission Inn. Because we were there to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, I requested a room with character and we were not disappointed. I loved the room with special details and nooks that you would never find at the Hilton or Marriot. The whole hotel is wonderfully unique and special. The staff were all very attentive. They even delivered complimentary chocolate covered strawberries to our room. We had dinner with out daughters at the mexican restaurant and while the food was not the best I have ever had, it was very good and the service was excellent. Overall we had a wonderful experience and plan to return.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NXB2
Reviewed 6 April 2009

The Mission Inn is such a beautiful place. I took so many pictures here as everything is just perfect. The building itself is gorgeous, made of up of several unique architectural styles. The courtyards and flowers are amazing and remind me of being in Spain. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is helpful and friendly. The Spa was one of the best spas I have been too and the staff was extremely professional. I just loved staying here, roaming the grounds and smelling the flowers. The hotel is as large as one city block so it is great to walk around the grounds, rooftops and patios and it particulary beautiful at night when the courtyards are lit up. I would highly recommend this hotel for people that like a little bit of Europe in the US, lots of history and relaxation! I would also like to say that this is a perfect place to stop for the night if you are leaving the Long Beach area and on your way to Palm Springs. This is the half way point and was worth the stay!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank swiftlysaid38
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I was surprised to read a negative review of the Mission Inn. We went in December for the Festival of Lights and loved it! After going, I couldn't believe that I had never been there having lived in S. Ca for >20 years. I had never heard of the Mission Inn until last year when I saw an episode of Samantha Brown on the travel channel doing an episode on it. The Mission Inn is on the National Register of Historic places. Parts of the hotel were built over 100 years ago and the original owner kept adding wings and it is a most unusual place. In a way it reminded me of the Hotel Del (Coronado) in San Diego or the Peabody in Memphis. Old and perhaps musty in places but that's to expect in an old hotel. What we also got, was an elegant room, tastefully decorated, comfy bedding, turn down service, and the most unusual hotel buildings I've ever seen. We walked all over the different wings and it's a real hodge podge of architectural styles which we found delightful. It's not a boring chain hotel and it's not all new and perfect but it certainly is a beautiful place- a historic Grande Dame of hotels. I've recommended it to lots of friends. The only down side was that it was very crowded during Xmas but we did appreciate the security person stationed at the stairs to keep the masses from wandering all over the hotel. The lobby was a crush of people but so is the Hotel Del at Christmas. We received a $75 gift certificate as part of our package but we were unable to use at any of the restaurants because we hadn't known to book ahead- so if you want to eat here, make sure you make reservations well ahead of time during holidays. On the bright side, since we weren't able to eat at the hotel, we had to go elsewhere. The concierge recommended Mario's Place across the street and we went and had a absolutely fabulous dinner there-(highly recommend). We stayed only for 1 night which was enough for us to look around the hotel and go out to eat. There is a fun antique mall also across the street where you can find some interesting things. We didn't do much else and I don't know if there is much else to do but we had fun and I wouldn't mind going back again at all.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mustluvdogz
Reviewed 11 February 2009

Don't go there. The service is terrible! You will be charged for the service you have never used. You will not get receipt but your credit card will be charged.

Read your credit card statement very carefully!

When you ask for a refund, things become so complicated.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank 5yu7sd
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Don't be confused- this is not a luxury property. Expensive restaurants, fancy lights, expensive room rates... but fairly cruddy rooms.
My room was not renovated since the mid 1980s, and the hallways and common areas are dated as well- and not in the "authentic Spanish Mission" way.
This is also the first US hotel of this size I've stayed at in the past 5 years that did not offer wireless internet in the individual rooms - I dont mean for free, but at all. I paid $9.99 per day for wired internet in the room.
The gym smelled terribly, and you had to walk through a service entrance to get to it; outdated cardio equipment and weight resistance machines were on top of each other, with no space to stretch.
No real service, as no one spoke to me in the 5 days I was there except in checking in and out.
The room was quite large though, and apparently some rooms are renovated.
For the amount of money this hotel charges though, it should have some of the basic amenities of a moderate hotel. Instead, it simply pushes its overpriced restaurants and spa- which are clearly the moneymakers. A Marriott would have been a nicer room.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Adam1222
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We enjoyed a short get-away at the Mission Inn hotel and spa. I probably would not have considered staying here but had heard wonderful reviews about the hotel especially for the holiday season and since it was a Xmas gift from a business associate we graciously accepted and enjoyed the wonderful surprise.
The beautiful hotel was a sight to see during the holidays so beautifully decorated with lights and whimsical elves, singing carolers, and animated creatures very pretty. It was very crowded but the adjoining street is closed to traffic. There was an ice skating rink that many were enjoying and there are vendors selling warm treats to the visiting crowd.
Stepping into the hotel felt like stepping back in time a most luxurious one! The portraits of the presidents on the wall who have stayed here give testaments to the prestige of this hotel. The hotel is very large with two beautiful chapels that are popular for weddings. The hotel is a historical landmark and at least 100 years old but has been tastefully updated and the rooms have modern amenities of a new hotel.

Our room was a nice suite that was spacious and offered a living area with a large flat screen TV and a separate desk area and we also had a nice little patio with 2 chairs and small table. There was also a very large window box bolstered bench. The bathrooms looked new but yet still fit in nicely with the time period of the room. The bed was comfortable and towels and linens were top tier. Also, we did not have any spooky visitors as was stated in a previous review. I believe some people have lively imaginations especially with older structures I for one, love history and have visited many supposedly haunted places and have yet to be visited by a ghost. We were visited by a Gingerbread fairy who left cookies on our bed though. A nice holiday touch.
We had dinner at Duanes steakhouse that was superb. Pricey but worth it. Definitely a special occasion place. It is one of the 3 restaurants in the hotel. We enjoyed drinks at the Presidential Lounge a good place to enjoy the live jazz quartet and some drinks. But get there early as it gets very busy. We had breakfast at the courtyard cafe it was reasonably priced but just okay very limited menu. However, the courtyard is a must see as it is so regal and seems to put you in a Tuscan Italian village. There is also a spa that we did not get a chance to try but maybe next time!
We were pleasantly surprised by this beautiful Old World hotel The Mission Inn, we'll make it a point to visit again next Holiday season or maybe sooner!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)