“The Lost Weekend!”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
San Francisco, Ca
“The Lost Weekend!”
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We arrived at the Hotel with the holiday season in full swing. Our room seemed nice enough and we went out to dinner. However, when we returned, there was a hard-driving function next door, which brought the party into our room as well. (There was a shared wall ). When we called the front desk they said the party was booked until midnight. We asked to change our room and we were told there were none to be had. (our thought was why would you book anyone into this room in the first place) Security came to see us and basically told us "too bad". I called down to the desk again to tell them that we were leaving the hotel - it was 10 pm) They found another room for us conveniently but not before chuckling at our ordeal over the phone.
When we finally arrived at our new room (we waited for a wayward bellhop to delivery the keys ) the new room looked like it had been 'partied' in by an employee or two. There was
chewed gum on the counter next to the bed. The bathroom had been used and a belt was
laying about. Someone had made coffee and left a mess and the window was wide open
and the room smelled of smoke. We attempted to call down to the front desk but the telephone was not working. I went down to the desk and was told to wait for a maid
to clean up the mess. This whole debacle took all evening. The next morning we went down for an early breakfast prior to the Hotels Sunday Brunch event. We were seated in the dining room and there we sat waiting and waiting and waiting for someone, anyone to come over and take our order. It would be humorous if this trip wasn't so disappointing. We had been invited by some work colleagues who book a block of rooms every year and we had been really looking forward to enjoying the Inn and spending some time relaxing in our room. Next year we will give it a pass.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank SpinMargie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Riverside, California
Reviewed 20 November 2010

The property is simply amazing, it’s like visiting a European village without leaving the premises. The Sunday brunch included the most elaborate spread I have enjoyed. Our room, La Vista de Rubidoux, featured four arched windows that would swing open to allow the cool, dry California air in. The view of the mountain was beautiful, especially at sunset. While exploring the property during the day is filled with architectural treats, it is at night when the property really comes alive and is simply mesmerizing! I would stay here again and again! Wow, would I have kicked myself if I had decided to stay at the less expensive Marriott just a block away.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rupeeler
La Jolla, Ca.
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I have been lucky enough to have stayed at The Mission Inn quite a few times over the last 15 years or so, and have always enjoyed my stays. I am very particular as to where I lay my head down when traveling, and usually opt for newer hotels. But The Mission Inn has been my first choice if I am anywhere near Riverside. I have stayed in several of the Mission Rooms on the 4th floor and a few nights on the 3rd floor with rooms that face into the inner courtyard and The Mission restaurant.
Service has always been very good. Cleanliness as well. On my last stay I was happy to see some very tasteful refinements to the rooms. Parking is easy either self or valet.
I have put up groups that I was working with, as many as 5 or so rooms at a time, and everyone was always happy with the Inn. The restaurants that I have tried have been great, including Duanes (very rich!), The Mission Inn Restaurant, and Las Campanas. Also across the street is a wonderful Italian restaurant "Mario's".
As I looked over some of the reviews here I noticed some being disappointed with their rooms. I have stayed in one of the rooms that overlook the pool area, and they did seem pretty plain, so my recommendation would be to study the rooms available, ask some questions to the staff, and choose carefully.
This is a great place, more then a hotel in many ways.
I'd especially like to thank the staff the night we arrived a few weeks ago, on a drive in from Joshua Tree, for 3 rooms, she really took good care of us.
And one more thing, take some time and go exploring around the hotel and all it's hidden treasures, you'll be amazed! And the surrounding neighborhood has some interesting places and a lot of character.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul-LaJolla
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Second stay at The Mission Inn, we asked for a quiet room, they originally had us in a room directly over a wedding reception going until midnight. Moved us to a room on the street, motorcycles revving throughout the night, just about in a deep sleep, 2 a.m.,and next door neighbors had a fight with friends in the hall. Security arrived & we heard it all through the historic (read: uninsulated) doors & walls. On Autumn Special, given a $25 gift card, ordered bowl of soup which, after $3.00 delivery + taxes on the grand total, ate up half the card; next morning, with additional charges + taxes, a $13.00 breakfast ended up costing $20.00! Walked around the inn, lots of interesting nooks & crannies. With the previous night's motorcycle's revving and party-goers' revelrie, (resulting in horrible sleep) we no longer wonder why they have a pool and a relaxing spa, either of which would be good places for some rest!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank 110910d
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 17 November 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for your last experience at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa. If you would be so kind to send me your name so that I may look into this further, I would really appreciate it. My email address is ecarbajal@missioninn.com.

I look forward in hearing from you.

Elsie Carbajal
Director of Rooms
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2010

My husband and I spent a week at The Mission Inn in Riverside, CA in September. The hotel was wonderful - something wonderful to see around every corner! The staff could not have been nicer and the service in the hotel's restaurants was top notch! We also took advantage of some of the services at Kelly's Spa and again, a wonderful experience for both of us all around. Do ask for a quiet room located away from wedding/party function rooms - the desk was happy to accomodate our needs!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
california
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights for a conference. The property itself is filled with much character. When you enter, you feel as if you're transported to a different place. I loved exploring the different staircases, alcoves and niches of the inn. It's fun and exciting to see what might be around the corner. The room itself was decent and clean. The customer service was good. The gym was tiny, but sufficient. The area surrounding the inn is also great for exploring. I found a wonderful art store and restaurants in the area. I wish I had more time to explore though, because there is a museum, chapel, theatre and courthouse within walking distance. I guess I'm glad I didn't have time to see all the sights because then I have an excuse to visit again and stay at Mission Inn.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank cristinarosetti
Intern52
Reviewed 24 October 2010

This is the 2nd time that my husband and I stayed at this hotel. It is beautiful and historic, if you have the right room. The first time we stayed in this hotel we had a standard room, not much to write about. Just your usual bed, desk, and standard amenities. This time we were given a room on the 3rd floor. It was beautiful! Solid old world doors with the original hinges, and locks The bathroom floor had beautiful spanish tiles. Our bed was a two-poster bed and there was an adjacent window bench looking out into our balcony. In addition, our room had an alcove with a desk and a small door leading to our balcony.

The only caveat was that our room (343) was situated next to the busy street. The windows are the original windows from the hotel and are not double paned. In the wee hours of the morning we would be awaken by the noise outside. There are party goers (lots of weddings and celebration goes on at the Inn over the weekend) as well as club hoppers. It also didn't help that about 1am or 2am there was an angry motorcyclist that kept revving his chopper so loudly that he kept me and hubby awake.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business