“Simply the best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly
CA
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

While a small facility, a converted house, Sam and Emma (the owners) have created an warm, friendly atmosphere. The staff is wonderful, attentative, and friendly. We have never had a problem. As the sign says over the counter, "enter a stranger, leave a friend." Prices right for the portions. First time I went I thought I'd leave hungry but was very surprised at how filling it was. Sam spends time with his customers when the time is right. He gets to know you and can be quite a comedian. We have tried other Thai restaurants but always go back to Sam and Bann Thai.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank ktelib

Bakersfield, California
“Never Disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I've eaten here several times and have necer received anything but excellence in food flavor, service, atmosphere, or anything else. Sam, the owner, and his wife are perfect hosts and strive to make every guest feel like family before they leave. Your food will be prepared to the level of spiciness you desire. My favorite is Gra Pow, but, like I said, everything is excellent. If you've never eaten Thai food, as I hadn't, Sam will guide you to something on the menu which you are sure to love.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Ron P
Riverside California
“MMMm dont miss it......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

The restaurant was a small converted house on a busy street. If you blinked you will miss it but to miss this establishment would be a great loss because the food was incredible. The Tom Yum was some of the best we have ever had flavorful sour with some spicy kick. The Pad Thai was average and the curries were great. I have ate at many Thai Restaurants and this is now among my favorites......

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank cary_c9
USA
“Where's the meat and food???!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I have visited Bann Thai twice this month, as I am fond of Thai food. Although the atmosphere here is cozy, the owner skimps on proportions when it comes dishes with beaf and chicken. A typical dish is $8.95, which is a couple of dollars less than "Table for Two" (nearby Thai restaurant). But the amount of food is also less, more than a couple of dollars worth.

For example, the fried chicken wontons has <0.2 mm of chicken thickness inside the 2 in wontons. Today, I ordered the pepper-steak dish for dinner and was flabbergasted at the small amount of food on the medium-sized plate. It looked less than a cup full----much less than the cashew-chicken dish I ordered and very much less than the Pad Thai noodles I ordered last time. I politely asked to speak to the manager, who was most likely the owner. He approached me saying "what is the problem" instead of "how I can I help you." He insisted for the price in relation to other local Thai restaurants that the amount was correct. He then went to socialize with another table thereafter. He left me hungry and disappointed that he did not care about his new customer. I suppose if I were white as the people he was socializing with at the other table, he would have offered me something more. I just paid the bill and left with my mom.

Thai food should be inexpensive and healthy. I have my favorite hot spots in Manhattan. For the price here, the plate should be covered with vegetables, chicken or beef, etc. I am frustrated that I cannot find an inexpensive, pleasant, and honest Thai place in Riverside!

• Visited September 2011