“Really getting to like this place ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Starfish Sushi

Starfish Sushi
Ranked #450 of 701 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Los Angeles, California
“Really getting to like this place ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

This was our second time back to Starfish and we are really enjoying ourselves there! We used to go to Miyako's quite regularly, so when it closed and reopened with new owners, a new set up, an actual sushi bar .. we finally decided to give it a try. The edamame is delicious ... the miso soup bordering on perfect ... and the sushi is among the best we have tasted. The entrees are quite good ... especially the chicken and beef teri ... We have been very impressed with the service ... friendly and efficient .. no complaints there at all. I think it is becoming one of our 'go to' restaurants in Riverside ... and with all the UCR students frequenting the restaurant, it should continue to do well.

• Visited August 2012

riverside, ca
“Not bad but not as good as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Finally got my husband and myself over to Starfish. It's nice to see the old Kigali spot all fixed up, but I really do miss miyako. Kigali focused better on combos than sushi due to limited space. The starfish remodel allowed for an actual sushi bar for about 10 diners and a better work surface. The seating at tables is about the same. Pop music in the background and greeting the customers is standard. Yes still a bit noisy but manageable as we ate just before the major dinner rush. The menu is decent, enough combos, sushi, and even vegetarian options to choose from. Prices are average but higher than miyako. The teriyaki combo was ok not great. The sauce was weak and they put a minimum amount of somewhat fatty chicken on the plate and cut it with carrots in addition to the other veggies and tempura. The California roll was decent right sized for 9 bucks. Since my husband won't eat sushi I didn't check on all u can eat pricing. They do have lunch pricing. I did not like that when you order a soda it is 2 bucks for a CAN. Yep only canned soda, refills on tea and water only. Also fyi, they are closed between 2-5 after lunch. This is to keep the fish fresher and not out, but it sure isn't convenient and it makes it much busier at dinner. Service was so so, as she did not ask if the food was good or if we needed anything until it was time for the check. We finished up at about 44 with tip which means that I will likely eat here infrequently since I know a few other better places in this price range, although I won't rule it out.

Riverside, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service seriously lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We were regulars at Miyako's, so when it closed and Starfish Sushi opened in it's place, we really WANTED to like it. The food is pretty good, but the service has been seriously lacking both times we have been there. The first time, we waited for 15 minutes after dinner for our check, and finally had to call our server over and ask for it. (The restaurant was not busy and he was standing around.) The second visit he brought out my husband's food all at once and did not bring me anything until we finally asked about my food. My order had been "forgotten" (! ?). Then we were overcharged $20.00 on our bill. We try to support local businesses, but the service at this one has ruined it for us.

• Visited March 2012
Riverside, California
“Starfish Sushi was fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Went to Starfish Sushi in Canyon Crest (Riverside) Ca a hand full of times, the have excellent service and excellent food. We like sitting @ the sushi bar it's full of fun. We had so far from there: Baby Lobster Roll, Sexy Roll, Baked Salmon Roll and a few others. All my favorites :) If you like Sushi - it's a must visit!

• Visited January 2012
“So fresh!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Awesome food! Awesome service! Recommending to all of our friends! See you soon.