“Great value, nice place”

Hyatt Place Riverside Downtown
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Enjoyed our stay here. I booked two rooms, but there was a mixup and they had Kings instead of dual Queen beds. I'm still not sure how that happened to the reservation, but after some inquiries, Ashley (?) at the front desk was able to correct it. Friendly and professional throughout, and made it right.

The rooms were very generous in size, clean, and just fine by me. Breakfast was considerably better than comparable priced hotels, with hot eggs, links, juice, fruit, and a nice selection overall. Surprisingly good for an included breakfast.

The only downside was the traffic noise. Sirens, loud pedestrians, trucks, it seemed like the windows were particularly thin and noise didn't drop off until near midnight. This was a corner room near the traffic intersection, so I'd recommend finding a room on the opposite corner.

Parking was close by, and a nice selection of restaurants was within walking distance (town center). The front desk had a discount for the nearby whiskey bar.

Room Tip: Try to get something interior, or opposite from the traffic-light corner.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 February 2014

And this one is particularly excellent with very nice staff. Unfortunately I booked only for one night at first and then found no one single room available - unbelievable. We had to move to the Marriott opposite the road for the next two nights and two rooms.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Jay K, General Manager at Hyatt Place Riverside Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear demoprint:

Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent experience with us. Thank you for the kind accolades. I am very sorry that were not able to extend your reservation while staying with us. Feel free to contact myself directly in the future so I may personally handle your reservations.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I can't quite figure out all the raves for this property. It may just be that other mid-priced options are limited in the area. It may be that I had a particularly lousy room. But I don't quite share the love.

Yes, the people at the front desk are lovely -- polite, friendly, eager to help. And the rooms are large and (mostly) cleverly designed, but it's just a cookie-cutter model that Hyatt is installing as part of this brand all over the country. So, no particular charm or magic here.

Details:
-- Parking is easy but relatively pricey for the area at $8/night.
-- Breakfast is decent with a nice range of options, and free, which is always nice.
-- Great location -- an easy stroll from a fun pedestrian mall with restaurants, street musicians, entertainment venues, and the absolutely fantastic Mission Inn.
-- The rooms are large with a sitting area, work area and sleeping area. Fridge also, and coffee/tea maker.
-- The bathroom is icky and depressing - separate vanity area OK, but the tub/WC room is lit by a sickly neon light and lacks any sense of warmth or charm. Thin towels, unimpressive bath products.
-- Decent beds, decent linens
-- Good free wifi
-- Lots of outlets and a panel near the TV to connect iPads, etc, to the wide-screen
-- Narrow, shaded and uninspired pool area
-- Sensitive sleepers, beware. You can hear a nearby train throughout the night.

My major caution would be against one of the rooms in the area I landed -- on the first floor in a dark, narrow hallway wedged between two locked doors that require key access and unconnected to the rest of the hotel. The only window faced directly out onto the dim and grim pool area, meaning there was scarcely any daylight even in the middle of the day, but you can't open the curtains if you want any privacy. Seriously, they should not have put rooms on this corridor. Use it for storage, or laundry, or some other back-room hotel function. To stick guests there, at the same rate they charge those on upper floors with actual windows and views, is just mean. Avoid those rooms and you'll have a decent stay. Nothing that will wow you, but fine for a night or two.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor. Really.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 43reds
Dianne F, General Manager at Hyatt Place Riverside Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Greetings 43reds,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my most sincere apologies, if you found your room and accommodations anything less than outstanding. We strive each and every day to exceed our guest’s expectations. Our team members greatly appreciate your wonderful comments regarding service. Our Team is our greatest asset and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your interactions with them. Thank you for your feedback on the design of the hotel. While we are not able to change it here at our property, it provides feedback to assist in creating new hotel layouts that meet and exceed guests needs. Hyatt Place is a relatively new brand of hotels and are designed to have the same look and feel, as well as offer the same amenities from coast to coast. We would welcome the opportunity to truly WOW you on your next visit.

If you need anything please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at 951-321-3500.
Warmest Regards,
Dianne Floryan

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I travel to Riverside annually for work and finally stayed in the best hotel in town. I'm sorry I didn't discover it earlier. The rooms are very large and very comfortable, their sectional sofa is huge and so comfortable. The large screen TV swivels , so you can watch TV from either the sofa or bed. They also have a small TV like tray to place your beverage/food on next to the sofa, a thoughtful touch. I loved the mini fridge, desk, truly the layout was well thought out. I used the small gym, ate the breakfast twice and was happy with it all. The staff have received solid training in excellent customer service - wish all hotel staff were this courteous. I am staying here again .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2014

A co-worker and I went out west for a few days of training and stayed at this particular Hyatt. I have stayed in a Hyatt during past trips and they continue to demonstrate their consistency for excellence. I have to start with the staff who went out of their way to ensure that our needs were met during our busy schedule and offered additional support when we wrapped up operations in the early hours. Clean, efficient, and quiet. This hotel is on the same level as the so called "5-Star" hotels and exceeds them in customer service and quality. The breakfast was fantastic and I was able to relax when I had the chance.

There are so many thing that are within walking distance, I was unable to see it all and will find a way to return.

When you get there, ask for Lila; courteous, knows her stuff, and will assist you in finding the right restaurant, attraction, or offer you a cup of coffee at 3AM after a long night of training. She and the rest of that staff epitomize customer service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is just over a year old and has all the comforts you expect. The entire Staff is top notch, friendly and make all the difference in the world. I have spent 10 nights here in the 30 days, and I'll be back in February!

Thanks D and D you run a great property!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Dianne F, General Manager at Hyatt Place Riverside Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Greetings Tom R!

Thank you for your review! We love what we do and I am glad that it shows and that you had a wonderful stay with us! We look forward to continuing to be great hosts to you and your colleagues any time you are in town!

Warmest Regards,
Dianne

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Arriving for last night of the Mission Inn's Festival of Lights with horse drawn carriages being loaded across the street from Hyatt's parking was outlet great fortune, what a scene! It was as fabulous as Disneyland, we walked a block from our quiet serene lodging to be in the midst of a fairytale dream scene. But even when Light show was over, we still loved this location! Walk to many great restaurants, museums, etc.
The room was professional business appointed and pet friendly to our very well behaved Black Belgian Shepard, she knows about elevators and small plots of grass, perfect!
The sectional couch in the living area of the room allowed us to invite friends in as we were in town for a dear friends memorial service. The bed was first class, we used the desk, the small fridge, the coffee/tea maker was handy and room service provided extra cups and glasses when we had guests.
The morning buffet was also very business class and we looked forward to dining there daily, with a complimentary newspaper.
We would definitely recommend staying here if going to Riverside as it gives you location, quiet, and well we found it just perfect! Our dog Kookaburra approved it as well, 5 dog bones.

• Stayed: January 2014

Hi CheeryCarol !!

Thank you for taking the time to get write your review! The Festival of Lights is something to be seen! It is in range of 3.6 million lights that light up the downtown pedestrian mall along with outdoor ice skating under the lights, reindeer and a foodies dream come true with many one of kind restaurants and dessert shops to dine at! It is truly a sight to see! And yes! Hyatt Hotels are pet friendly and welcome our four-legged friends into our home! We look forward to be your haven for relaxation any time you are in Riverside!

Looking forward to your next stay with us,

Dianne Floryan