“I died and went to bacon-fried heaven”
Review of The Salted Pig

The Salted Pig
Ranked #17 of 718 Restaurants in Riverside
Price range: US$13 - US$34
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Normally I am a pretty health-cautious eater, but I made an exception for the Salted Pig! Our group started out with the fried dates appetizer - they were OUT OF THIS WORLD.

You can tell the Salted Pig cares about the quality of food they prepare. I have never had something taste so perfectly fried before - those dates were a real game changer. The bacon fat popcorn was also delightfully addicting, and a great appetizer to share.

I selected the Monk Fish Risotto as my main course, and was extremely pleased with the presentation and taste. There were healthier meal options for entrees, so don't fret.

If I am ever in Riverside again, I WILL be returning to the Salted Pig.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

After hearing some favorable things about the Salted Pig, we decided to meet some friends there and try it out. They offer an eclectic choice of food and drinks, most with a bacon or pork theme. My husband tried two drinks, a flip containing an egg and I believe porter which reminded me of a New York egg cream but it didn't thrill him, and a gin and grapefruit juice cocktail that he enjoyed. My Bloody Mary was outstanding! The others choose beer from an extensive list of specialty beers. I had to try the bacon popcorn and it definitely had flavor from the bacon fat. The salads were good and my husband raved about his pork belly sandwich. Unfortunately, my MSG burger with mushrooms, slab bacon, and Gouda was a miss. The hamburger was charred to the point of being burned on the outside and that taste overpowered the other flavors. If you live locally, you ought to try the place at least once and decide for yourself but I can' say it's a "don't miss" culinary experience!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

The food, atmosphere and microbeer were all excellent. The server was excellent and entertaining. Try the appetizer fries with garlic and cheese. Outstanding!

1  Thank Ken C
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The food at the Salted Pig was really good. We started with the Battered Dates & Classy Girl drink. The dates are a must, but the cocktail was no so good, stick to the beers. My dinner was the Pork Belly with Rice Noodles. It was very greasy but good, the noodle were not cooked enough for my taste. Stick to the Burgers. Dessert was Pig Sammy, that was very good. Over all the staff was very nice. Get there early. We are planning to go again.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I love downtown Riverside and waited until I had a babysitter for my two little boys so my husband and I could check out The Salted Pig. The name alone intrigued me. Are gastro pubs the modern answer to medieval watering holes? I had read that the place is pretty busy on the weekends. They open at 5 pm on Saturdays so we arrived about 5:25 pm. The place was already busy but there was only a couple people waiting for a table. We were told it would be about 15 minutes but after about 7 or 8 minutes we were seated. By that time, the place was full. I mean really full! The waiting area was packed. I was pretty happy that we had came so early.

Service was fast and our waiter was terrific. We decided to really experience 'the pig' so we started with the filthy fries that had cracklin dust sprinkled on top. These were excellent. My husband ordered the pork belly sandwich and I ordered the pig 2.0. We also, trepidatiously, ordered the candied bacon ice cream. It was all so good! I also tried the Foxbarrel Pear Cider. It was so light and refreshing and the perfect accompaniment for all the salty porky goodness. The Salted Pig has a great laid back atmosphere with great music playing in the background. Even though it's not stuffy, I would leave the kids at home and enjoy a night out with your significant other or a group of friends. Even if you don't live around Riverside (which I do not), I would recommend the trek from anywhere in SoCal to visit The Salted Pig.

1  Thank StacyRW79