“fabulous family-owned and operated restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Zacatecas Cafe
Ranked #52 of 698 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Los Angeles
“fabulous family-owned and operated restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

Zacateca's is one of the bright spots in the Riverside dining scene. It is a very family friendly, local place that serves delicious Mexican food. Nothing experimental here, just good, traditional food. Thursdays are the best time to go for their green enchilada special.

Riverside, California
“Popular, good location, easy mexican restaurant with lots of beans, tortillas...whatever. Dems hang out there.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2008

riverside, ca
“Great Entrees, mediocre starters, overall ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2006

Well my husband and I finally tried this place. There are good and bad observations that I made. Good friendly prompt service was nice. Odd hours of operation made it tricky to finally find this place open when we like to eat out, but if you usually dine on weekend evenings you will be okay. We went early evening because we generally avoid the dinner crowd. The dining area is small and dated, but clean. Same goes for the bathrooms. They have a large banquet area that takes up half of the building, but luckily is closed off from the rest of the dining area.
Well, although the service was good and polite, we immediately had problems. 1- no ice water offered. 2- when we tried to order margaritas we were told they were "out", which makes no sense whatsoever if you have a well run business. 3- the salsa was hot enchilada sauce(?) and a very unappetzing spicy and not fresh salsa served in a restaurant syrup pitcher. 4-the salad which came with our dinner was nothing but lettuce and a few strips of cabbage with a side of dressing served in a sealed plastic condiment cup. 5- plates etc were damaged and really showing wear. So, to say the least, we weren't too impressed.
BUT
The prices are fair, our whole dinner including non-alcoholic drinks, salads and entrees cost us 22.00 not including tip.
The entrees were the best part. I usually have a rule about mexican restaurants- if the tacos, enchiladas, and rellenos are good, then everything else should be on par. So I got the combo of the 3. Everything was good, well proportioned, and the relleno was roasted, unlike many places that forget the flavor and just don't take the extra step to roast a chile, which made the relleno my favorite part of my meal. Tons of refried beans, rice was flavorful, but slightly underdone. Taco was good but wasn't given to me very hot so it was lukewarm by the time I ate it. My husband said his tamale was loaded with meat, not just masa, his taco was the same, and both our enchiladas were average.
Our general opinion of Zacatecas is that it is generally ok, as long as you avoid the chips and salsa, and dinner salads. If you are someone who really likes to enjoy the appetizers and be able to get a margarita then you will be disappointed.
Maybe the best thing is to get it to go or skip the introductory food and head straight for a good sized entree.
One last note, the restaurant is NOT in a good area, although only 1 mile from UCR. I do not recommend going here at night without your guard up. During the day is preferable.
This is only one of 2 sit down Mexican restaurants in the UCR area, besides fast food Mexican which there are at least 7 I know of and probably a few more I haven't found yet, so it is worth a try. Then try Templo del Sol(see my review ) and make up you own mind!
Happy dining!

2 Thank gili
Colton, CA
“Excellent Food, Price and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2004

This restaurant has excellent food and prices. It is very clean and the service was exemplary. I will definately return.

5 Thank gmar777