“Pricey and worth it.”

Mario's Place
Ranked #8 of 703 Restaurants in Riverside
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Arcadia, CA
“Pricey and worth it.”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Mario's is my favorite restaurant. It was founded by an Italian immigrant family and is now run by their three sons.

The food is both authentic and creative, and you will pay more than what some may want to pay, but it is worth it. The atmosphere is sophisticated, service excellent, and they have jazz on weekends.

There are so many good dishes that it is hard to recommend only a few. The salads often combine flavors to surprising effect, and the pizzas are excellent. Try the squash blossoms, an Italian standard you often don't get in America.

They do a lot of the standard fish or beef entres well, although if you really like red meat get the osso bucco pasta. I seldom eat dessert anywhere, but the hot chocolate parcel is not to be missed.

You can have an excellent meal for less if you leave out the drinks and stick to the salads, appetitizers, pastas, and pizza. You will still get the fresh bread, excellent service, and jazz if you come later on a Friday or Saturday night. One last hint -- if you want to come when the Mission Inn (directly across Mission Ave) is lit up for Xmas, make reservations well in advance.

• Visited June 2013

Redlands, CA
“To each his own!”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Four of us enjoyed Mario's last Friday night. The service and ambience were impeccable and the bill was appropriate for the evening. Still, for my taste, the meal was not as outstanding as I would have expected. My Caesar salad lacked a little in taste; I had no hint of anchovies and found it a little bland. For my main entree I had a perfectly cooked veal chop but the accompanying artichokes were over salted. The dessert, a Carmel something was to die for all the same. The rest of my party raved about everything (with the exception of the artichokes) so I have to think this review is not the consensus. Overall, I would return and try again!

• Visited February 2013
Los Angeles
“Big Night at Mario's”
Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

We visited Mario's last Saturday evening. We arrived as they were opening and asked for a table for two. We were promptly seated even though we didn't have a reservation.

After cocktails, I had the sashimi yellowtail done up with Italian oils, vinegar and herbs. It was over the moon great. My date had the fried squad blossoms which were also good if not somewhat bland

As a main course I tried the evening special, a ribbon pasta with duck ragout The pasta was hand made in house and was perfectly rich and al dente. The ragout was incredible--savory, meaty and perfectly spiced with minced duck meat. If they would have allowed it, I'd have had a side bowl of just the ragout. I hope they keep this dish permanently. In my opinion it is their best pasta dish.

My date had her standby butternut stuffed ravioli which is a Mario's staple. It was good but paled in comparison to the duck and pasta.

For dessert we had the banana Napoleon which was spot on creamy sweet and perfectly prepared.

The service was prompt, friendly and attentive. Although the prices are a bit steep, we will definitely eat here again.

2 Thank Mongoeat
Riverside, California
“Authentically scrumptious!”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We recently moved to Riverside from N. Italy so have lots of Italian dining experience. We were looking for a really nice place to take our 20+ y/o kids for Christmas Eve and choose Mario's.
We nailed it! It was exactly what we were looking for. Very cozy, comfortable dining room, friendly and relaxed staff. The food was incredible. Every one of us was wowed! Homemade pasta of course and all dishes put together the Italian way. Fresh and tasteful, not overpowered with heavy sauces. We loved it so much, we returned for a very memorable New Years Eve with dining, dancing. Prices not over the top, but commensurate with the skill of the chef.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Sexy_us
“Hit & miss with poor service will not be returning”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

My family and I have been to Mario's at least twice a year for at least seven years. In the past we have greatly enjoyed the service and food. However over the last year and a half the food taste salty and uninspired. Even worst the hostess are not friendly or welcoming. The service is slow and not attentive. My husband, children and I had two bad dinning experiences so when some colleagues from work suggested dinner and drinks there I was reluctant but went hoping that the old Mario's would return. It did not in fact worst dinner ever. The food was bland and over salted and the service was worst then ever. My family and I will not be back and if the Chef truly cares he will make major changes.