“Fresh food, good presentation, nice atmosphere”
Review of Mario's Place

Mario's Place
Ranked #7 of 706 Restaurants in Riverside
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Satisfied my squash cravings tonight by having stuffed zucchini blossoms for appetizer, followed by butternut squash ravioli with porcini mushrooms and sage butter. This was only one of their seasonal offerings, and it was delicious. I ate indoors, although I could have chosen to sit outdoors, with a view across the street of the historic Riverside Mission. This was the first time I'd been there, but I will certainly be back when I work in the area.

There are newer reviews for Mario's Place

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Some friends suggested we go there for our anniversary...I can appreciate an upscale Italian restaurant but there was nothing spectacular about this place. It was so dark we couldn't read the menu. The food took a long time to get to us. The bread the waiter handed to us with tongs was cold and hard as a rock. The salad was a joke...about the size of a can of tuna. We took another couple with us so there were 4 of us. We each had a glass of wine, shared 2 appetizers and our dinner. The bill came to a whopping $289!! MAYBE if the food was to die for we would feel it was worth it for a special occasion, but it just wasn't. Very disappointed and feeling sick on the drive home for spending so much money on dinner. Needless to say, we will not be going back.

1  Thank MissouriMarigold
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We were staying at the Mission Inn across the street and Fodor's travel guides recommended Mario's Place across the street. Good choice we all agreed. There were 6 of us at dinner and everyone enjoyed their meal. My husband and I shared an unusual appetizer -- smoked salmon/mascarpone terrine with a light green salad. It was marvelous. I can't now recall what everyone else had, however my main pasta dish - linguine checca - was perfectly cooked and really delicious; spicy with the creaminess of the goat cheese contrasting. Service was prompt without being over-bearing and the environment very pleasant at the end of a hot day.

1  Thank Tansay
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Mario's is my favorite restaurant. It was founded by an Italian immigrant family and is now run by their three sons.

The food is both authentic and creative, and you will pay more than what some may want to pay, but it is worth it. The atmosphere is sophisticated, service excellent, and they have jazz on weekends.

There are so many good dishes that it is hard to recommend only a few. The salads often combine flavors to surprising effect, and the pizzas are excellent. Try the squash blossoms, an Italian standard you often don't get in America.

They do a lot of the standard fish or beef entres well, although if you really like red meat get the osso bucco pasta. I seldom eat dessert anywhere, but the hot chocolate parcel is not to be missed.

You can have an excellent meal for less if you leave out the drinks and stick to the salads, appetitizers, pastas, and pizza. You will still get the fresh bread, excellent service, and jazz if you come later on a Friday or Saturday night. One last hint -- if you want to come when the Mission Inn (directly across Mission Ave) is lit up for Xmas, make reservations well in advance.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Four of us enjoyed Mario's last Friday night. The service and ambience were impeccable and the bill was appropriate for the evening. Still, for my taste, the meal was not as outstanding as I would have expected. My Caesar salad lacked a little in taste; I had no hint of anchovies and found it a little bland. For my main entree I had a perfectly cooked veal chop but the accompanying artichokes were over salted. The dessert, a Carmel something was to die for all the same. The rest of my party raved about everything (with the exception of the artichokes) so I have to think this review is not the consensus. Overall, I would return and try again!