“Not what promised”
Review of Santa Cruz Inn

Santa Cruz Inn
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 11 February 2010

When I made reservations I was told they would have a continental breakfast each morning but there was none. When asked the staff said there had never been a continental breakfast. Now I see their advertisement has eliminated this offering. Spartan accommodations. One day our room was not made up at all and it was too late at night when we arrive back. No tissue or any amenities at all! Forgot shower hat & asked for one. They don't have tissue, or anything one might forget. Office staff not friendly. Had to speak to them through tiny hole in plastic window. Dark and drab.Could be charming if they showed a little care.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank fairPhoenix
CaliforniaTriphopper, Manager at Santa Cruz Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2010

Thank you for choosing the Santa Cruz Inn.

I do apoligise for the experience you had at the Inn, however I disagree with your overall review of the Inn. When you had made the reservations, you were told of a complimentary breakfast and not a continental breakfast. Like the staff had mentioned, "there has never been a continental breakfast served". We do realize that we need to keep the rooms clean and provide housekeeping in order to satisfy all our guests. Our records indicate that on the particular day when your room was not made up, was due to the fact that the Spouse/Partner that you had travelled with had requested a "Do not disturb, we are fine thank you" from housekeeping.
In-room amenities are provided to guests(shampoo/conditioner,bath/shower gel, body lotion and soap bars),other amenities on the property are free wireless internet & free parking. As for the office staff not being friendly, I think they were helpful and showed extra care to when your Spouse/Partner needed driving directions to the nearest Home depot. Staff went the extra mile by finding, calling and pulling out a mapquest for driving directions to a nearest store in Riverside.
We hope your stay would have been more of a charming one and once again we do apologise for the experience you had encountered with at the Santa Cruz Inn.

Reviewed 10 January 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Santa Cruz Inn overall. We were surprised at how nice the rooms are, with it being an old hotel. They were very quaint (as everyone else mentions), and not a "cookie-cutter" design. Very spacious. Yes, we had to lower our heads a little to get into the bathroom, but so what? People were much smaller in 1927 when the hotel was built! I would definitely stay here again.

Here are the pros and cons: Pros: 1) Large clean room with couch and coffee table, 2) the best hot drink machine I have ever encountered (it even opens up your packet for you), 3) microwave AND refrigerator in every room. Cons: 1) Very poor internet ISP. It was always at one bar for me and I had a very hard time getting on. 2) No breakfast is offered, although the previous owner said there was a complimentary breakfast. 3) The TV reception was pretty poor. Some stations were clear, some were terrible. The previous owner had said flat-panel, but we had a regular 25" TV.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank stattad
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I read the reviews and booked a night at the Santa Cruz Inn only to find a completely different experience than I expected. The manager (who was nice) came to the desk wearing a sleeveless white T-shirt behind bullet-proof plastic. I had to shout through little holes drilled in the plastic. The tiny room was sweltering until he came out and switched on a feeble AC unit. We were given a large room (sweltering as well). The doorway to the bathroom was so low that my son had to duck his head stepping down into it. The room was not clean. A used washcloth was by the sink, there was trash in the bin and the coach was really bad. On the coffee table was a pamphlet "HIV Infection and AIDS: An Overview!" The manager has already switched us once so I didn't ask to be moved again although he probably would have (the first room was better). This morning I found mold on the shower curtain. We were not told of any continental breakfast but I wouldn't eat here even if offered. This is not what I expected.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank carolebv
santacruzinn, MANAGER at Santa Cruz Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2009

Dear Carol.
Thank you for staying at the Sant Cruz Inn.
I do apoligize for the bad experience you had at the Inn. Unfortunately, I disagree with your remarks on the review. Some of the issues that you had encountered with like for one;
- the structural features of the property, this is
a historical building built in 1927 and the
historical features of the property have not
been removed during remodelling, one
being the entrance to doorways(bathroom &
entrance doors).
- due to the weather conditions in the
summer periods, the heat can be extremely
unbearable. Unfortunately, we cannot do
anything about this. Our records indicate
that upon your arrival, you were not satisfied
with the 1st suite allocated to you due to
extreme heat, the desk clerk had arranged
for another suite to accommodate your
needs.
- on making your initial reservation, you
should have been told or noticed from your
booking that we do provide a
'complimentary" breakfast and not a
continental breakfast.

Once again, we do apoligize for any problems
that you had experienced during your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2008

I stumbled upon this motel while staying in another location nearby that was too commercialized. This place is a quiet, quaint little motel in close proximity to everything Riverside has to offer. The buildings have nice architectural features and the property is well maintained. The rooms are reasonably priced, are clean and have all the basic amenities. The owners/ staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. I would recommend this motel to anyone traveling in or around Riverside county.

1  Thank patsteindesign
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Rooms have microwave & refrigerator. This is the great feature for working class guys like me worked at the Fox Thearter. Excellent comfortable rooms, friendly staff. Good value for price.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 27 March 2008

Good service at the front desk.The motel is near mission Inn
and Convention Center. Rooms are clean with breakfast. Very
beautifull motel with a Spanish-style building.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 November 2007

I booked this hotel on Alaska Air's hotel website, (the same as Expedias). I was a bit worried about the low price but my options were limited as I was running out of time. The hotel is an older mission style building in downtown Riverside. Two stories with a newer wing. An attractive courtyard with a fountain and stairs leading to the second floor. A narrow hall but that's the limitations of an older building. The room was nicely remodeled with a very comfortable bed. Lots of TV channels. A few finishing areas could have been better but generally good. The whole place was very clean. There were nice decorating touches in the hallway as well as the room.

Would I go back, you bet! This could be Riverside's best kept secret.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business