“Not ready for prime time”

Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Oakton, Virginia
“Not ready for prime time”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Corp. Marriott thought green and burgundy was "so 1990s" that Courtyards are being hosed out and renovated. The new design manages to make the same floor space appear smaller, crowded, and "cheap". Perhaps there will be improvements, but:
-noisy construction between 8 and 5
-one elevator not enough for 6 floors
- wifi works if you can access Comfort Inn next door
- towel racks MIA
-headboards MIA
-tv remote unable to turn set on or off
- minimal drawer space ( for longer stay)
- minimal counter space ( for any length of stay)
- Bistro ( like HGI cafe) appears to be an out of touch concept ($$ for breakfasts)
-sofa uncomfortable and feels " cheap"

Too bad, as this Courtyard used to be a good place to stay in the UCR area.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FairWinds1
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I truly regret that your stay experience was affected by our property improvement process. As you have notice our lobby area has already been renovated and our rooms currently undergoing a renovation. I do want to make a note that we are still adding enhancements to each of the rooms. You still have not experience the finished product. Our goal is to provide our guest with the best guest experience possible to all of our guests. I believe your feedback will help us reach that goal. Please fill free to contact me via email thomas.long1@marriott.com or you can contact the hotel and ask for the General Manager Thomas Long if you would like to discuss this matter further. We know that you have many choices for hotel accommodations when staying in the Riverside area and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations.
I look forward to speaking with you and wish you a sensational Saturday.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Chesterfield, Missouri
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel was undergoing remodeling, which we did not know about. Only one elevator was working very slowly. The hallway on the first floor was closed off, so you couldn't use the stairs to get to your room. It was difficult to get around. Very long wait for elevator. My husband left his cell phone charger in the room, which we noticed that evening. I called from our next Marriott hotel a little over an hour way and asked if they would send it that hotel, since we were going to be there for nights. I was told by the Courtyard front desk they could only send it priority mail, and it would cost more than the charger was worth. So, I asked them to mail it snail mail to my home address. I was told they don't have any stamps and can only send it priority mail. We ended up making a detour on our trip and picked it up ourselves. The lady on the phone was not helpful or friendly. We stay at Marriott's all the time and usually they are great. The people are always friendly, just not at this Courtyard.

Green Features: They had a recycling bin down by the ice machine located on the third floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank soccersharon
Thank you for filling out the survey regarding your recent stay with us. Reviewing your comments, I truly regret that you did not have a great experience. I take the guest experience and your feedback very seriously. I would like to hear more about your experience and how we could have made it better for you. Please fill free to contact me via email at thomas.long1@marriott.com or you can contact the hotel and ask for the General Manager Thomas Long. Our goal is to provide our guest with the best guest experience possible to all of our guests. I believe your feedback will help us reach that goal. We know that you have many choices for hotel accommodations when staying in the Riverside area and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations.
I look forward to speaking with you and wish you a satisfying Saturday.
Riverside, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Had to park in the back of the parking lot in dark corner to check in; Soon as my bf gets out the car a man approaches the car I ignored him luckily my bf saw him turns out guy was a drug dealer offering his crap. My bf notices another guy these men were a team once they leave concerned was expressed the desk clerk tells him oh we have that around here we can't control all the people around here.They had only 1 security guard and he was completely clueless. I was unnerved so we go to our room I am undressing a man come in our room with a key (what the hell) front office calls says they made mistake and keyed our room number on his card. We should have left but guarantee will never ever stay at this place guest safety concerns this place doesn't seem to care about.

2 Thank Giavonni C
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I truly regret that you did not have a great experience due to your security concerns. As you stated, we do have security on property to help make sure that our property is secure. Our goal is to provide our guest with the best guest experience possible to all of our guests. Please fill free to contact me via email (thomas.long1@marriott.com) or you can contact the hotel and ask for the General Manager Thomas Long. I would be more than happy to discuss these issues with you if you would like. We know that you have many choices for hotel accommodations when staying in the Riverside area and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations.
South Pole
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here for the first time this week and knew up front about the renovation. This is always a slippery slope due to your individual luck of hitting the renovation or what's left of it at the correct time of a stay. I was initially given a room at check in and after getting the key packed I asked if it was a "new" room. The agent said no and very happily switched me to a room on the 6th floor, which was a very freshly completed floor. I was thrilled about getting a room that was a matter of days after being renovated. Upon entry to the room, it looked great and the floor was still in the process of finishing with the clean up crew. Unfortunately, the wi fi on the floor or just in my room was inoperable. I had work to do and unfortunately had to reside in the hotel lobby for most of the rest of the evening. I let them know at the desk and hopefully was remedied for the next guest.

1 Thank Viking94708
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I truly regret that your stay experience was affected by our floor by floor renovation. While we strive to keep our hotel and rooms in the best condition possible I understand that this is not the most convenient situation possible. Our renovation should be complete by late October and I know that you will be pleased with the finished product. Our goal is to provide our guest with the best guest experience possible to all of our guests. I believe your feedback will help us reach that goal. Please fill free to contact me via email (thomas.long1@marriott.com) or you can contact the hotel and ask for the General Manager Thomas Long. I would be more than happy to discuss these issues with you if you would like. We know that you have many choices for hotel accommodations when staying in the Riverside area and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations.
Concord, NC
Reviewed 17 July 2014

As a Marriott member, I stay true to the brand. Good location right off the 215. Got a corner room with a balcony which was quiet and larger than the normal size rooms. The room was a little dank, I believe it was because they had the temp set too high. Not enough light in the sink/vanity area. I would likely try the Marriott near the convention center next time.

Room Tip: Corner room - quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations. We are truly grateful to have hotel team members that enjoy being of service to our hotel guests and make you feel comfortable while staying with us. I have some fantastic news for you. Our rooms will be renovated this year. As you might have notice our lobby area has already been renovated and our rooms are up next. I know that you will be pleased with the finished product. Our goal is to provide our guest with the best guest experience possible to all of our guests. I believe your feedback will help us reach that goal. We know that you have many choices for hotel accommodations when staying in the Riverside area and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations.
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The staff at Courtyard is wonderful. The check in process was very quick and welcoming. The room was very clean and comfortable. Their beds were wonderful. We felt like we were at home while staying there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jen A
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations. We truly are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Currently we are in the process of having our rooms renovated floor by floor. As you might have notice our lobby area has already been renovated and our rooms are up next. I know that you will be pleased with the finished product. Our goal is to provide our guest with the best guest experience possible to all of our guests. I believe your feedback will help us reach that goal. We know that you have many choices for hotel accommodations when staying in the Riverside area and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations.
We look forward to you next visit with us. Have a terrific Tuesday.

Thomas Long
thomas.long1@marriott.com.
Santa Ynez, CA
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a one-night stay here recently, and while some things were good, others were not-so-good. First, the very comfortable Marriott king bed was present, which is always a plus. Our room was roomy and other guests were quiet, which was also good. I also very much appreciate free wifi in the room and a refrigerator for cold drinks - much needed in hot Riverside. The lobby appears to be recently renovated and looks good. The staff was also polite and attentive. However, there were a number of problems. When we arrived, there was an odd guy hanging out just outside the front entrance. We first thought he was talking on his cell phone on a Bluetooth and then realized quickly that he was just having an elaborate conversation with himself. He made an odd comment to me that I won't repeat, but sort of freaked me out. He was still there after we registered and went to move our car and again later when we left for dinner. The staff really should have had him move along. The back parking lot also did not feel particularly secure to me. The property is near UCR, and like most college towns, the people in the neighborhood are a mixed bag. A little more attention to obvious security for guests and their vehicles is warranted, especially when you're a stranger in town and don't know the lay of the land. Other issues were a very loud air conditioning unit in our room - tough when you are in a hot climate and you need to have it on at night, a very cramped vanity arrangement in the bathroom, a cracked bathtub, and a room that clearly needed a remodel. We were hoping to go sit out by the pool for awhile, but the pool area was tiny and had a ton of kids in it. If the pool area was larger, that wouldn't have been a problem (I get that parents need to take the kids to the pool on a hot day to have some fun and blow off steam) but there is no place for other guests to sit outside and relax. The worst problem by far was the fitness room. The elliptical was out of order and one of the two treadmills was making a loud thumping noise that sounded like the belt was coming loose and I decided it was not safe to use. As a result, there was a line for the one working treadmill (the only other equipment was a recumbent bike that I finally used rather than wait) and a few weights. None of the TVs in the fitness room worked - either on the machines or on the wall. The room was hot and stuffy with no way to adjust the temperature and worst of all, they were out of sanitizing wipes to wipe down the equipment. Basically the condition of the fitness room was completely unacceptable.

We chose this place because it was relatively inexpensive and close to UCR, which we needed. I was expecting Marriott Courtyard standards, which this place does not meet. If I had to go back, I'd definitely go elsewhere, even if it meant being farther away from my destination.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pale_Rider27
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I truly regret that you did not have a great experience due to your concerns regarding the property and its security. We do have security that patrols the property at night and staff that walks the property during the day. The hotel is also being renovated floor by floor so the whole property is getting a makeover. I would be more than happy to discuss these issues with you if you would like. Please fill free to contact me via email or you can contact the hotel and ask for the General Manager Thomas Long. Our goal is to provide our guest with the best guest experience possible to all of our guests. We know that you have many choices for hotel accommodations when staying in the Riverside area and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host your accommodations.
I look forward to speaking with you and wish you a terrific Thursdays.