“Bad Customer Service. Room was dirty..”
Review of Sands Motel

Sands Motel
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I made a reservation at this hotel through expedia.. i booked it online for $49.55. When i arrived to the location i spoke to clerk telling him i had made a reservation through expedia. he got my information when he gave me the receipt to sign it i noticed it said $65.40. I then asked him why was i charged more then what i had made reservation for the clerk then told me it was for taxes and fees. I asked for a print out of taxes and fees and he would not give me one.. the front desk clerk was rude and gave horrible customer service with a attitude.. dont waste your money or time...

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Marthagarci

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was driving through Riverside, felt tired and needed somewhere to sleep. Google Places returned Sands as the nearest motel to my global position.
The night attendant wasn't enthusiastic on my arrival, but hey, I had probably just woken him up. The price was reasonable and I even managed to secure a bit of a discount and my request for a room on the ground floor was met as I didn't fancy lugging stuff up the flight of stairs. Once the formalities were met I parked in front of my room and first things first, I did not expect this to be the Hyatt, so I had no shocks in that respect . My room had a bed, tv, a shower and looked relatively clean. As frequent traveller I always sleep in my own sleeping bag. I slept well and even though I saw one little roach, I am not going to blame management for that. I had a pleasant rest and checked out continue my drive to San Diego at dawn.

Room Tip: Didn't stay long enough to give the place the once over. But if you are driving thru and don'...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Room smelled bad. Lobby smelled bad. Shower didn't work properly. Only cold, stale coffee in the morning. Acted like they didn't know about our third child (which we'd indicated ahead of time on the Travelocity reservation). There were some additional unexpected fees, and when we tried to discuss this with the front desk, there was a significant language barrier, the guy acted like he didn't know what I meant--- and oh, the other guy had handled that --- he's gone now. I had given him my only copy of our Travelocity reservation (stupid me), and when I asked to look at it again with him, he acted like he couldn't find it. They also charged us everything up front, rather than waiting til checkout like most places (removing our option to stay only one night instead of two). We always travel frugally and stay at no-frills hotels, but this one hit bottom for us. It wasn't that cheap either (only for Riverside, I guess); but for even a modest price I don't think it is too much to expect a clean room and good service and communication.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank 392KKL
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

And for good measures, I also needed to state that two days after leaving that hell hole my face and neck begun to itch and swell very badly. The third day I had to be rushed to the doctor because I was almost unrecognizable due to severe swelling from being eaten up by bed bugs. They only attacked where I had open wounds because I has minor surgery earlier that day. Yes that oversized flea was really a huge bed bug thanks to that filthy stinking place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank diamondndaruff81
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The worst motel I have ever stayed in over night in 40 yesrs.The smell of the room is horrendous. Sprayed it down with perfume and it still was funky, and this was supposed to be a non-smoking room. I'd rather smell the smoke. My daughter suggested we sleep in our car after finding what looked like a big oversized flea. This place is a crap hole. Where is Undercover Boss for this place?

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank diamondndaruff
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I travel on the cheap all over the country and I've never wanted to punch a front desk attendant in the face more than I did 5 minutes ago. Um 11 percent tax? Um unknown, unadvertised $8.50 fee that they do not acknowledge until after card is run? convenient they do advertise a strict no refund policy. I'm typically quite aware of these hidden fees, resort fees in Vegas, but a crack house in Riverside? Not to mention, pretty gross

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Scottdgeiler
Reviewed 28 April 2012

i had medical appointments at kaiser i booked room, never again will i stay there . prostitutes all over the parking lot, room was dirty clerk was rude and smelly and then overcharged 59.00 to 75. 00 the differance is not proper sales tax so i turned in a complaint to calif board of equilezation for tax evasion . when i asked for itimized receipt he refused . i also challenged the differance to credit card holder

Room Tip: pick another motel there are better for same price just down the street
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business