“charming get-a-way”
Review of Giant Oaks Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Running Springs
Giant Oaks Lodge
Las Vegas, Nevada
“charming get-a-way”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

my husband & i stayed in a cottage during our "tough mudder" trip to running springs memorial day weekend. loved the jacuzzi tub (got a lot of soaks in) and fireplace. the two person shower was also a plus! we hope to be back again to escape vegas!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
sunland/tujunga
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I read the 15 reviews and wondered at the ability of human beings to have so many different experiences at a common venue.

My spouse and I found our room (105) clean and with plenty of storage room for a three day stay.

We also appreciated the decision NOT to have a table but rather to have a BAR. That worked out very well for us. I, personally, was intrigued by the fact that the refrigerator had no controls but somehow "chose" a perfect temperature for our food. I also liked that the microwave was extremely simple to operate.

If I were to offer one suggestion for improvement, it would be to provide a standard sized coffee pot with better coffee.

But that is relatively minor compared to all the pluses.

For some reason, we were surprised that our room had been cleaned during our absence (when we went skiing). The beds had been made, fresh towels provided (including towels for the spa).

We loved the fireplace and were intuitive enough to discern that it was controlled by the thermostat. Perhaps the person at the desk could tell you that when you check in. I don't know. I was reading the complaints about not being able to figure out the fireplace and wondered why people complain rather than asking for help or information.

The hot tub is quite, quite remarkable. Wow! Nice! The pool also "looked" great but I didn't swim because I like really warm water to swim in and the water wasn't quite warm enough for my tastes.

If you like cats, this is a terrific office to visit. The cats are beautiful and friendly. What's not to like here? You have a person running this place who is a cat lover.

I did not experience the drive to Snow Valley as being 20 minutes. Maybe only 10. Someone in another review complained about the long drive. Gad! Even if it was 20 minutes, one has to wonder: who are these people?

I mean, a 20 minute drive compared to 90 minutes from Los Angeles??

I don't know. So much of one's happiness in life depends on one creating that happiness for oneself. You could say, conversely, the same for one's misery.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rainbowdeann
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We were looking to stay close to Snow Valley ski area for a few weekdays of local skiing without hassling the drive or schlepping equipment through airports. Giant Oaks Lodge was perfect! Clean, sparkling decor, very comfortable beds, friendly and very competent management. The gas log fireplace made for an extra relaxing and romantic atmosphere, and doubles as the heat source.

The lodge's indoor pool area houses the BEST hot tub I have experienced in my 40 years of skiing - extra large, perfect temperature, strong jets at a variety of heights. A perfect to recover and ski another day.

If it snows again this winter, always iffy for So. Calif -- we'll go back right away. Blauer's Ski & Board Shop right next door sells lift tickets for 50% discount. Jansen's Market has a deli, frozen dinners -- lots of food choices to microwave and eat in. Very good Mexican restaurant close by.

Prior negative reviews are not to be taken seriously - some folks live to complain. Lloyd's "biker bar" had been a restaurant for over 50 years, and quickly went out of business when the "bikers" took over. It was closed in 2007. Time to update or delete the old reviews -- not fair to the fabulous Giant Oaks Lodge.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jan_ski_11
Camarillo, California
Reviewed 6 October 2010

My husband & I headed to Running Springs to snowboard at Snow Valley. We stayed at the Giant Oaks Lodge for 3 nights & enjoyed the stay. Driving from Ventura County, we left a little early due to an approcahing storm we wanted to beat to the mountain! Of course, we made very good time & arrived in Running Springs around noon, which is too early for check-in. After talking to the friendly woman at the front desk, she recommended grabbing a pizza up the road & when we returned, our room would be ready. We drove to the pizza place (which actually was within walking distance, but we couldn't see it past the 12' piles of CalTrans snow on the side of the highway!) & returned to the lodge to find that the room was ready for us! We weren't given an attitude about being too early, in fact it was the opposite - early was totally cool there.

I agree with several reviewers on here - the room interior are pretty worn & old school, which would turn off those who are looking for a little ambiance. For me, I just needed to stand on the porch in the snow watching the squirrels for ambiance! I don't remember our room number, but it was a small room with a queen bed & fireplace. The pool & jacuzzi are nice - a nice way to unwind after a day on the mountain.

The drive to Snow Valley was maybe 20 minutes, which was very convenient, & CalTrans worked the road 24/7, so there was no need to chain up...well, unless you were heading to Big Bear. The driveway for the Lodge can be a little sketchy in the winter, but I saw the owners throwing down sand & salt on the incline to make entering/exiting the driveway a bit more bearable.

Food is within walking distance for most people, a little more difficult when its dark & 20 degrees, but the open air will do us all good! We walked to the Old Country Coffee Shop for grub every night. They had an incredible menu that was pretty cheap! The staff was great too.

After we left, my husband said he'd go back...I'd go back also!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CheekyMonkey12
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We had a great time at the Giant Oaks Lodge! I would definitely stay here again!

Rooms- OK, so they are a little outdated, but the fact that they are extremely cozy, clean, and have large jacuzzi tubs more than makes up for it! After a long day snowboarding, this was the perfect place to unwind. We visited in January, so the bathroom did get a little chilly! Also note that there are two or three rooms on the second level of the 'main building' that can be a bit of a hazard to get to in the winter, since there is lots of ice on the sidewalk to the stairs and on the stairs themselves.

Service was excellent, the owner of the hotel was very accommodating and friendly. We had an issue with the plumbing in our room and she was right on it. The problem was solved in no time.

Location- The hotel is somewhat of a long drive from Snow Valley, and it is right off of the highway. The hotel's location is it's only flaw, but hey, it's not like the highway is right in your face when you wake up. I think that the rooms are spaced far enough away from the highway.

Pool- The pool is a gem within a gem! Almost every time we went, there was little to no one there. They keep the water temperature just right and the pool is quite spacious. It's indoors, so it's open year round. Great for kids too!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff_S8888_10
Monterey Park, California
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Can't always believe what you read. The lady that helped us was super friendly and helpful. Rooms are a little country, but super clean and big. Room fully stocked with necessities. The indoor pool and jacuzzi are super clean. Ping pong table and fire pit provided. I will definitely go back and plan to stay longer. Close to Big Bear and Lake Arrow Head for day trips. Felt well rested and relaxed after my stay!!

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 9 March 2010

This past weekend we were looking for a place to stay close to Snow Valley. We were debating on whether to stay in the Ontario area (we were driving up the night before from San Diego) or if we could find a place in Running Springs.

I came on to TripAdvisor and saw the reviews for the Giant Oaks Lodge. Though they were not great, I decided to check out the "runningsprings.com" website and see pictures of the place and rates. After looking it over, I thought "Well, it would be nice to be 5 miles away from the mountain...I'll give them a call and see if they have any availablity."

This was the conversation - and I'm not adding anything to it for effect:

ME: "Hi...I'm looking at your website right now and I'm wondering if you have any room available this evening for 3 people? I see some rooms with just a king bed and others that looks like they can accommodate more?"
Male @ Lodgel: "All rooms except two can accommodate three people."
ME: "Oh...great...what would be the rate for this evening?"
Male @ Lodge: "Which room do you want?" (They have pictures of each room/number)
ME: "Oh...umm...is room 107 available?"
Male @ Lodge: "No...pick another."
ME: "Oh...um....106?"
Male @ Lodge: "Nope."
ME: "Well, um...we don't really care about the exact room...what room is available for three?"
Male @ Lodge: "Well, we have several. You're on our website, right? Give me a number and i'll let you know."
ME: "Ahhhh....let me look here...how about 104?"
Male @ Lodge: "Available"
ME: "Ok...what would be the rate for that room?"
Male @ Lodge: "Didn't you just say you are on our website? The pricing is on there."
ME: "Oh...ok...umm...I didn't know if that pricing was up-to-date or applicable to this evening. Would it be ok if we arrived late...we are driving up from San Diego?"
Male @ Lodge: "No. We can't do that."

He then hung up the phone.

So, we ended up staying at the Hampton Inn, had a great free breakfast (including Belgian Waffle stand), and in the morning it only took 30 mins to get to Snow Valley.

Don't support this business. This person, for some reason, is unappreciative of the very people who are trying to support his Lodge. The entire time I was on the phone with him, he was cold and seemed completely put-off that he had to even be speaking to me.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Sleepy Hollow Cabins and Hotel
Arrowhead Tree Top Lodge
Arrowhead Tree Top Lodge
#4 of 7 in Lake Arrowhead

Been to Giant Oaks Lodge? Share your experiences!