“One of my favorites turned disappointing”
Review of Auberge du Soleil

Auberge du Soleil
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I absolutely adore Auberge and why I chose it for my mother's birthday. I booked ahead and let them know it was a very special celebration and when they called to confirm, I also informed them of our food allergies. I was told that everything would be handled well and that we will have a special seat on the patio. What a disappointment!

You would think they would have sat all three of us in a great table where we all had a view. We had one of the worst seats on the patio. It was next to the area where they stored water and silverware and every 5-10 minutes, they would be clanking some silverware. I also sat facing the door with no view, since I wanted my guests to enjoy the amazing view. It was thoughtless.

Our waiter seemed nice enough but I was shocked at how unprepared Rob was about the allergies. I assumed that at a place like Auberge when you tell them ahead of time that the birthday person is lactose intolerant, they would come with some ideas about dessert. But no such luck. He kept telling is what she could not have. It was like all of our allergies were a big joke to them and their special creations.

The whole service apart from Salavdor and Adam, who were great, was the worst I've ever had here. And when we went to talk to the manger, we just got attitude. And we tried to do it away from my mom so she would not be aware of how bad we felt about it all. And when this other guy came to discuss it right at the table, right infront of her, we told them we were fine. We didn't want to make it worse. And I did not enjoy my food at all.

I don't think I will ever go celebrate another birthday here. Next time I will just go enjoy the patio at the bar as this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth as it not only ruined the celebration but when I go to a great restaurant, I expect a great experience. This was just a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Ayeletb

Reviewed 4 August 2012

This place has excellent food, and a spectacular view. The service is excellent. The restaurant requires a credit card to hold the reservation, and if you don't show up and don't cancel it, they will charge $50 per person. I decided not to make a reservation, and show up at 3pm and the bistro (not the restaurant) was open and we found a very nice table without having to wait (same view, menu and service as in the restaurant).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Negroycanche
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I love posh hotels, and this has been on my list for quite some time. We drove to Napa from San Francisco without a reservation, but I looked online the night prior and knew I had some last minute luxury options: Auberge du Soleil, Bardesonno, Carneros Inn, Solage & Calistoga Ranch. Auberge was my top choice. I've stayed at Bardessono previously and I loved it. But I wanted to try another property, so this time I booked Auberge, while eating lunch at Bouchon which I recommend. It's easier to pull the trigger on a high priced room while sipping on wine. I booked a lower level valley room. The hotel is just a 10 minute drive from Yountville. When we first pulled into the hotel, the valets were goofing around a bit, which was a bit of a turn-off. The complimentary glass of wine offered at check in made up for that though. The property doesn't ooze luxury, it's understated, which is perfectly fine. After check-in, you drive your car (with wine glass in hand btw) to your bungalow. I believe most of the rooms are identical, except for the view, which is why you pay a premium for the upper level rooms. The room met my expectations, from reviewing pics online - hardwood floors, wood-burning fireplace, french doors open to balcony, comfy king size bed, big flat panel tv, cd player (with nice selection of cds), books, well stocked mini bar (complimentary non alcoholic drinks and snacks) and large bathroom with separate tub and shower. The toiletries are refillable canisters, so eco-friendly but nothing you can take home. The room was very comfy and a good size for 2 people. Since the resort is located up on the hillside, it's very quiet, which I love. The main pool is quite nice, but I think they should have made it an infinity edge pool. Fortunately, the spa has 3 plunge pools with infinity edges. The hotel's main restaurant is what you would expect from a Relaix and Chateau property, excellent. If you want very good food that is a little less adventurous, the bar menu is great. They both share the same spectacular view. I love hotels that have partnerships with luxury car companies. Auberge has a partnership with Mercedes, so you can take one of the many models out for a spin. We took the CL63 AMG out, which was a blast. The resort is close enough to Silver Oak, Plump Jack, Darioush, Far Niente and the wonderful restaurants in Yountville. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: If money is no object, book an upper valley view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeffrey G
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This is our fourth trip to this property...The service is amazing, the rooms are outstanding, the food melts in your mouth. I wanted to change the locks on our suite and never leave. They are changing some of the decor in the suites which were fine. Happy either way.

Room Tip: Rooms below have an amazing view of the valley...if you are good at walking its a hike to the main...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelbyjane
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We got married there and stayed there for 10 days, June 25th through July 5th. Aside from the incredible views of the valley, sculpture and herb gardens, wonderful spa(Best massage of my life), the staff and attention to detail were flawless. Within a day, they knew my name and made us feel like we were family and the only guests they had. After the wedding, they had flower petals lining the walkway to our room. Inside, the lights were dimmed, candles and fireplace lit with a chilled bottle of champagne. Everything from the bridal room was packed up and brought upstairs waiting for us. The food was incredible as you would expect from a Michelan rated restaurant. Breakfast was my favorite meal. They had a Japanese choice with miso soup, salmon, an egg, sticky rice and plums that was wonderful, but could not be out done by the pizza with salmon and egg whites. Omelettes were just as good and the fresh pastry basket was addicting. All this while overlooking breathtaking views, warmed by the heaters overhead!
Did I mention the Mercedes fleet of cars that you can use for 4 hours at a time? This is one of the few times that you feel like you received the value that you paid for. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Upper valley rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I have dined at "The Restaurant Auberge du Soleil" some years ago and vowed to return someday to stay in one of the rooms nestled into the hillside that overlooks the vineyards and valley floor. The accomodations more than delivered. Waking up to blue skies on your private patio surrounded by trees after an evening lit by the fire from the fireplace in your suite. The suite was carefully and tastefully appointed, every detail and amenity was available, and the staff was nothing less than gracious and accomodating. They were able to create a number of special appointments with local wineries and provided reservations at some of the best restaurants not on the beaten path. This is the way to see Napa Valley...

Room Tip: We had a hillside suite. Ask in advance for rooms with the most privacy. Some appeared to overlook...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2012

This review is long overdue.
I should stated that we had a small ceremony at Hans Fahden Vineyard in the afternoon and an intimate reception at Auberge Du Soleil in the evening.

This review is for the hotel and resort.

You are welcomed as you exit from your car and whisked to your room via golf cart. No welcome drink, although I believe we were offered that the first time we visited.

Service is great, especially our server during breakfast who remembered how we liked our coffees and teas and was genuinely friendly and attentive.

The grounds are beautiful. They have terraced gardens with a small vineyard, modern sculptures, a pagoda and asian-influenced horticulture.
The Spa is great. There is a hot tub overlooking the valley and we had a couples massage with a private mudbath.
The Restaurant food couldn't match up to the breathtaking sunset views. Make sure to request a table outside to catch the "purple sunset" as you gaze across the Napa valley. The food was uniformly well done, but not spectacular.
We really enjoyed the breakfast, especially the Japanese breakfast with miso soup and Grilled salmon.

The gym is small, but had all the necessary equipment. Has a tree-house feel to it, as there is a balcony where you can cool down amidst the trees.
The pool was a bit too cold in October, but is really beautiful, and takes advantage of the killer views of the valley below.
We stayed in a Lower Valley King room for 3 nights. The room had a mediterranean mix of colors, understated luxury. There was chocolate and a bottle of wine waiting for us in the room, and the luxury snacks and drinks are all complementary.

There were just a few knocks:
Cost of the room. Expensive, and I felt the decor was slightly dated, although well maintained.
Dinner was OK. The cost of the supper was equal to a far superior meal in Yountville or Healdsburg.
They spelled my name wrong on the mailbox outside our room (nice touch with the guest's name on the room mailbox, but we were celebrating our marriage and staying in a very expensive room! it's the little details that matter...)

With that said, this is one of the best Hotel & Spas we have stayed at in the world, and we will always think fondly of this amazing resort.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VertigoSeoul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Bardessono
Vintage House
#5 of 6 in Yountville
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Auberge du Soleil? Share your experiences!