“Skip the guided tour - not impressed!”
Review of Beaulieu Vineyard

Beaulieu Vineyard
Ranked #14 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: In 1900, when Georges de Latour's wife, Fernande, first laid eyes on the land that would become their original Rutherford vineyard, she named it "beau lieu," or "beautiful place." Shortly thereafter, de Latour bought the four-acre ranch and founded Beaulieu Vineyard with the vision of making Napa Valley wines that would rival those of his native France. In 1938, he traveled to France and returned with André Tchelistcheff, the famed viticulturist and innovative enologist. Tchelistcheff introduced cold fermentation for white wines, malolactic fermentation for reds and aging red wines in small, French oak barrels. He also insisted that the de Latour family's private Cabernet wine-"Private Reserve"-be bottled and sold as the winery's flagship offering. The result was the inaugural 1936 vintage of the Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, a wine that was destined to become Napa Valley's first "cult" Cabernet. Today we continue to innovate to craft wines in our bold, classic style. We have become a leader in clonal research, and our BV Clone Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon wines are highly acclaimed. Most recently we completed a new state-of-the-art winery within one of our original buildings. The Georges de Latour Private Reserve Winery utilizes the latest technology in combination with time-honored traditions for the production of this exceptional, wine-the longtime benchmark of Rutherford Cabernet.
Houston, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Skip the guided tour - not impressed!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I recently traveled to Napa with a group of friends for a wedding and we were looking at doing a couple of tours/tastings one afternoon. A friend booked BV Winery because it was easy to get in our larger group (10 people) with little to no hassle. We were simply not impressed - maybe because we are accustomed to smaller wineries with more of a personal feel. Our experience at BV seemed very impersonal and "corporate". To begin with, we had reserved a tour for our group and when we arrived we found out that we were part of a larger group that consisted of about 20-25 people which was way too large. Our guide seemed somewhat knowledgable about wines and kept boasting about owning his own wineries and being a wine maker (which left me questioning why he was doing tours for a massive operation like BV?) but he was exhausting as a tour guide. He attempted to be humorous when he wasn't and the tour seemed to drag on endlessly. On top of it all, I was not overly impressed with the quality of the wine in comparison to some of the smaller, more quaint wineries in the immediate area. My recommendation - the $35 spent on the tour/tasting at BV would be much better spent at Peju winery just up the road.

Visited July 2014

• Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great wines at a great price!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

There were lots of institution type wineries that I wanted to love in Napa, but they were just shrinking violets compared to BV. This was more commercial compared to the boutique/ family owned ones I usually prefer. We liked most everything we tasted, and of course, when we bought more, they started breaking out the good stuff. Our group of four was not easy to please. We are no wine snobs, but we tasted at 14 other Napa wineries this trip, and this was our highlight as far as wine goes.We sent home a case and kept a few to drink while in town. My highlight was the Tapestry, but we also enjoyed some of the Maestro wines which were at a great price point.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank mrs_wright07
Richardson, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Knowledge staff, but ruined by corporate buy”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I have drunk more than my fair share of BV. However, I have not had any since I moved out of CA simply because I had forgotten about it as its not easy to find in TX. I was excited to revisit the winery and taste some of their new vintages. My girlfriend and I were disappointed in the wines of BV. We tasted 7 wines from the Maestro collection, and we were disappointed with all of them. Corporate buyout of BV by a big company (cant remember the name) seems to have affected the wine quality by pushing it down for higher quantity.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Marshall L
Milwaukee, WI
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Too corporate for me”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stopped at BV since it is located right across the street from another tasting room we had visited... We enjoy BV wines at home and thought we might as well stop in.

Overall, the tasting room was fine, but there are definitely more unique and fun wineries to see while in Napa. Being from Milwaukee, visiting BV sort of reminded me of visiting MillerCoors , versus a smaller place like Lakefront Brewery. It is a big company and the entire experience had a scripted/corporate feel about it. I don't think the tasting was particularly expensive, but I don't think I would return or recommend this destination to friends.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank ktyg
Los Angeles, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Bang for your buck”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Their Rutherford Cabernet is one of the better ones at under $30 per bottle. Do not take the wine tour, it's very boring and nothing to see.

Visited May 2014